Author Topic: Blowback pistols, bad design?  (Read 968 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Blowback pistols, bad design?
« on: September 30, 2007, 09:30:51 AM »
I have been reading the newest edition of the American Rifleman and they have a article on Wilson guns. 

In it they say, regarding the 9 mm ADP, "Most shooters are aware that blow-back 9 mm pistols are almost always doomed to failure.  Factory 9 mm ammo is hot enough to usually require a locked-breech, recoil operated system.  Simple blow backs are usually more compact, but they won't take the recoil thrust and hang together."  The Wilson 9 mm ADP uses a gas piston to help in the operation

I have a Bulgarian Makarov in 9 mm Mak. that is a blow-back, I have never heard of problems with 9 mm blow-back pistols coming apart.  Is the writer concerned with the more powerful 9 X 19 Luger cartridge, or is this a problem with even the .380 too?  How come the Walter PPK in .380 does not have a reputation for coming apart?

Thanks.

Offline papajohn428

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Blowback pistols, bad design?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 12:44:46 PM »
A blowback is limited in the amount of pressure it can handle before unlocking too soon.  A stronger spring or a heavier slide can help, but can cause other problems.  A gun that stays locked shut until the pressure has dropped is a much better and safer design.  9mm Maks and .380's operate at lower pressures, hence they work fine as blowbacks.  It's all a matter of controlling the forces that make autos work.  Too much of anything throws the balancing act off.  Locked-breech guns are more complicated, and pricier, for a reason.  They handle more intense cartridges and offer increased performance.  Within their limitations, blowbacks are fine.  Most 22 autos are blowback designs. 

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 04:57:04 AM »
What he said!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 09:12:20 AM »
Blowbacks are more ammo sensitve, because as said above, they are made for a certain level of gas to operate correctly,  and recoil operated not so much. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 02:35:42 AM »
The 9 mm Mak is about the practical limit for a blow back, and the cartridge was designed for just that.  9 mm Para and 45 ACP blowbacks have been done, but the slide is too massive to call it a practical proposition.  Sub machine guns in 9 mm Para or 45 ACP are generally blow backs, but the massive breech block is less noticeable in a long arm.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 12:30:01 AM »
unspellable is right. 

There is nothing wrong with or bad about the direct blowback design, it is fine for lower powered or lighter weight cartridges.  The delayed blowback pistols are used with heavier or higher pressured cartridges, usually starting with the 9mm and up.  One set of exceptions I am aware of is the older Astra 600 and 400 Model pistols, big beasties with a pretty heavy recoil spring set-up but old....

The article is a bit confusing.  I had not heard or read the term 'simple blow back' before, it was always 'direct blow back' and 'delayed blow black' - for a minute I thought someone had developed a new type of pistol........... Mikey.

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 09:46:37 AM »
I think all of the much maligned Hi-Points are blow back design, and you have to admit, they are big.
Romans 8:38,39