Author Topic: need help  (Read 398 times)

Offline staffsgt

• Trade Count: (0)
need help
« on: October 01, 2007, 06:08:12 AM »
hi all new to the site

ok well i just bought a H&R Survivor   and Bushnell Trophy,  scope and  about 200 rds of fmj .308  have not shot it yet   
 any one tell me how it shoots and whats a bigger cal  barrel i can add on?

north fl

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
Re: need help
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 06:26:52 AM »
Welcome to GBO.  Glad to have you here.  I don't have a .308 barrel so I can't comment on how well they shot.  But at the top of this page there is a FAQ thread that has a wealth of information in it.  It is well worth the time to read it a couple of times.  Then you'll be familiar with what it contains if you have a problem come up or you want to do any changes.

How big of a barrel do you want?  How much punishment can your shoulder take?  Some of the bigger bores would be the .45-70, .50 S&W, .444 Marlin.  If you rifle is a newer model, see the FAQ section on how to determine the manufacture date from your serial number, then it can handle these barrels.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 06:29:46 AM »
U can ad anything but a 10ga or the rimfire bbl's. 357mag 44mag 45carbine 45/410 45/70 just check out the list in the FAQ's. kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline staffsgt

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 06:31:30 AM »
thanks for the  respond

i want to go to the range and have every one  say ... what the heck is he shooting

so i guess a sw 500     so i guess thats the same rd as  handgun right?

now what would be the cheapest to shoot?

so many ?'s

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 06:42:48 AM »
yup, same round as the handgun in the .50 S&W

Cheapest would be to reload, or if you could find the elusive .22lr versa pack barrel.  The .22lr versa pack barrel has the bore offset so that a center-fire firing pin strikes the rim.  Everyone would like to get one to add to the versatility of their guns.  .38 are cheap to shoot and it used to be that .223 were cheap, but with prices going up on ammo it is not so cheap any more.  mil-surplus ammo is a no-no.  H&R/NEF warn against using mil-surplus ammo in the owner manuals and if you look you can find several discussions about it on here.

There is a big variety of barrels to choose from and you'll end up with more than you thought you would when you first get started.

Active duty, guard, retired?
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline staffsgt

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 06:47:27 AM »
does any one know where i can find cheap  barrels  and whats the best range ammo for this  gun that wont jam

Offline toyfj40

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 09:11:05 AM »
H&R Survivor and Bushnell Trophy scope and about 200 rds of fmj .308
welcome to the forum.  I'm not one of the "X-spirts", but I still have an opinion...

1. I have the .308 BullBbl and the Survivor-Stock.
  the  ReCoil is a bit much with the narrow-plastic-compartment-cap...
  sooo, I'm ordering the  Choate-Varmint-Stock to provide more "cushion".
  (Choate is  http://www.RifleStock.com/  select  'H&R Varmint Stocks' from the menu-list at the bottom...
  (or ATI for an "AR"-like replacement http://www.ATIgunStocks.com/    select 'HR/NEF' on the left menu

2. Price your  Add-On barrel carefully, just getting another Handi-Rifle in the desired caliber may be just
  as affordable and you have the second rifle when you have trigger-troubles. 

3. "bigger caliber"... just get a  Buffalo-Classic, the long-barrel should get their attention !!

good luck