Author Topic: To catch a thief...  (Read 337 times)

Offline prairie_boy

• Trade Count: (0)
To catch a thief...
« on: October 02, 2007, 03:02:04 PM »
Has anyone ever had any luck with using one of the trail cameras on the market to identify trespassers, thieves?

I just had my hunting cabin ransacked and had several thousands of dollars worth of stuff stolen, including my quad and my dad's trailer that was parked there.

I need a way to identify potential suspects, as it is very unlikely that I'll ever be there when they return.  And I'm sure they will return, as they stole my tractor keys...and it's still there.  Or at least it was this morning.

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: To catch a thief...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 10:27:57 PM »
I just read in the local paper about the cops putting a camera in a house because the lady who lived there kept getting her perscriptions stolen. The cops put a camera in the bathroom and caught a woman stealing the drugs. They did not say what kind of camera they used but I would bet a good trail camera would work fine for what your thinking of doing. Good luck on catching the thiefs.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: To catch a thief...
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 12:21:47 AM »
They may come at night and if so when it flashes they will be aware and just steal it also. If you can you'd do well to use a video surveilance system with no flash. Mine works fairly well in poor lighting but isn't perfect for outside use at night with no auxillary lighting.

Matt does covert surveilance installations and sells such equipment. You might contact him and ask for suggestions. Whatever you put in must be very COVERT if you expect it to still be there when the theives leave.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!