Author Topic: Shot Line Gun  (Read 371 times)

Offline jeeper1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Shot Line Gun
« on: October 02, 2007, 05:00:24 PM »
While going through my pictures from the Ft. Worden museum I culled these two out for posting here.

I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Shot Line Gun
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 05:43:28 PM »
Jeeper1,

Thanks for diggin' up the photos. I notice that the USLSS stampings are upside down on the trunnion.  I have not seen the true markings close up so, I wonder if that was normal? Also, the quoin seems to be a replacement as the original had "steps" to it.  Do you by chance have a shot of the muzzle? None the less it's nice to see an original bronze "C" tube and carriage.

One of these days (when I get of my backside) I'll have Dom make one of these in a GB size on the metal commercial style carriage.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Shot Line Gun
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 01:23:38 AM »
The more usual name for the item is "Line Throwing Gun."  Aka "Lyle Gun" named after the US designer of this type, David Lyle.

We've got a few in the collection since that's one of the first types of cannons we owned.  Some of our early ones include:

-Manby mortar, cast iron, on original square iron base
-Hall 2.5 inch, bronze, on orig. wood/steel mount
-Hall 3.5 inch, bronze, with steel portion of mount
-U.S. "Lyle" type as shown above, Watervliet arsenal 1929
-Unknown cast iron gun with 2.5-inch bore, shaped like U.S. Lyle gun but larger exterior dimensions, probably ca. 1900*
-Costen steel gun with center trunnions

*if anyone thinks they know who made that one, please let me know, Paul Barnett was not familiar with it.