Author Topic: Huh Did I Read That Right?  (Read 644 times)

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Huh Did I Read That Right?
« on: October 04, 2007, 06:52:38 PM »
Now trust me I am not reporting this to bad mouth older folks heck I am starting to get there myself, but I find this a bit strange?? This is True. An Accident happened yesterday locally where the two drivers were killed one guy was 77 and driving a pickup truck the other guy was driving a Cement Truck. HE WAS 83???? Seems sort of old to be driving a cement truck. I wonder if you can even get a CDL at that age?? What ever the case may be I would bet there will be a lawsuit over this one.

The Douglas County Sheriff’s Department identified two people killed Wednesday afternoon as the result of a two-vehicle collision in the Town of Bennett.

The fatal accident involved a cement truck, traveling northbound on Highway E, and a pickup truck, traveling westbound on Highway L. The pickup truck driver, Walter MacQuarrie, 77, of Bennett, was pronounced dead at the scene. The cement truck driver, Albert Tielke, 83, of Solon Springs was flown to St. Mary’s Hospital in Duluth, where he died a short time later, according to the Douglas County Sheriff’s Department.

The accident is being investigated by the Douglas County Sheriff’s Department, Medical Examiner’s office and Wisconsin State Patrol.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
Re: Huh Did I Read That Right?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 07:32:28 AM »
The sad think about this is that those two guys had to keep working at there age in this country.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 08:09:43 AM »
t may seem strange but some like to keep working . most who do live longer .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 08:59:59 AM »
I have heard that there is a shortage in the number of truck drivers and trucking companies have been recruiting older former drivers to drive again. If they can pass the ICC physical, I don't see a problem with them driving. The physical is a little harder to pass than a normal doctors office physical in that eye sight depth perception, hearing and other factors are involved.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 10:01:09 AM »
I have heard that there is a shortage in the number of truck drivers and trucking companies have been recruiting older former drivers to drive again. If they can pass the ICC physical, I don't see a problem with them driving. The physical is a little harder to pass than a normal doctors office physical in that eye sight depth perception, hearing and other factors are involved.

It all depends I suppose on the Doctor as any Physicals I had were not that extensive or tough. Yea I drove a 18 wheeler for a while and a Bus. Passing a physical is one thing but you have to admit that when you get older your reflexes slow down and other issues. I see a lot of older guys who are dangerous driving a car let alone a large truck. Your right it depends on the person and when I was driving we had one driver that was about 70 and he was starting to have problems and 83 is 13 years past that.

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 12:13:10 PM »
The physical is a little harder to pass than a normal doctors office physical in that eye sight depth perception, hearing and other factors are involved.

My guess is that you have never taken a DOT physical. Passing is a walk in the park!
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 12:54:17 PM »
You guessed wrong.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 05:41:48 PM »
You guessed wrong.

Still unless they have changed a DOT physical was not that big of a deal at least from what I remember of it.

Wether a older person can pass it or not one issue is that when you get older your reflexes ger slower which could make a difference in an accident or not having one. Now to be fair it sounds like it was the pick up drivers fault and not the cement truck driver. Now I know a lot of older drivers drive carefull and are good drivers. Still it comes to a time that most older drivers have to quit just because they cannot do a good job of driving anymore wether it be some sort of medical problem or eye sight problems or what ever. I did not post this to start any online arguements I just posted it as I found it unusual that some one that old would still be driving a commercial truck.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 05:46:34 PM »
The sad think about this is that those two guys had to keep working at there age in this country.

Only the one guy was working the one driving the  cement truck and hard to say why he was maybe he did not like retirement and wanted to keep on working. Paper said he drove for the Cement Company part time. THe pickup driver was on his way home and evidently ran the stropsign which he should have known better as he lived just down the road unless who knows maybe he made a habbit of that practice if so it was not a good idea as it killed both of them.