Author Topic: Need less recoil than my .30-06 - opinions?  (Read 2467 times)

Offline slim

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Need less recoil than my .30-06 - opinions?
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2007, 02:41:12 PM »
.257 ROBERTS

Offline 303Guy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2007, 07:27:45 PM »

The 7 X 57 Mauser.  I challenge anyone to actually better it as a balanced cartridge for light to medium game. It has stood the test of time, from 1893, and still going strong.

I'm not sure if I agree on the 'light to medium game'.  My understanding is that it is a good BIG GAME cartridge!  Unless African game is smaller than average.  It was used by Bell, on elephant remember! ;D  I knew some people from the 'Old Africa', the one a Rhodesian gun maker, and all had only praise for that cartridge.  They used phrases like 'outstanding cartridge', 'excellent all round  hunting cartridge', 'good big game cartridge', 'mild recoiling' and so on.  And with modern powders it can be a good long range cartridge too, I am told.

303Guy

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2007, 12:36:54 AM »
Well not having used the 7mm Mauser cartridge on big game only on Roe, Fallow deer and Whitetail Deer I can only comment on it's effectiveness on these. The Roe Buck was shot using RWS Factory ammo and the 173 Grain H-Mantle bullet and the result was the fastest drop to shot I have ever seen. Outstanding performance by the bullet but only one example is not eh best data to work on. because this ammo is very expensive and difficult to get here I switched to hand loads using a 139 Grain Hornady bullet. On the Roe and fallow it has prooved excellent but on the Whitetails in Missouri all required more than one shot. OK the Buck was dead on it's feet but heading for the creek so i shot it again and it then dropped after taking two steps, the first hot took out teh heart and lungs but the Buck ran towards the creek and covered about 30 yards before stopping when I hit him again. The large |doe was neck shot and went straight down but was making a mewing noise to I shot her to quicken to end. the worst one was the Button Buck who took three shots through the head, yep three first one from 25 yards second from behind at about 35 yards and the last one from behind as he hung his head down and bullet entered from below coming out of the top very messy. For Whitetails I think a different bullet might be a good idea or at least a different load.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2007, 02:03:42 AM »
the 7X57 is a fine cart. but still is behind the 3006 on paper . The reality is most rounds from 2506 to 303 will preform the same task equal in the field on deer and the like many can step up to large critters and fare well , it might not be a streach to say most have been used on most game and worked . We all have our pets now don't we .
No matter the head stamp to feel less recoil you must give up something , less powder , less lead ( bullet weight ) , or less resistance in the bbl. ( lead instead of a jacketed bullet ) .
If you just want to shoot for fun get a 30 carbine adapter for your 3006 and enjoy , get practice without hurting shoulder .
some say you won't feel it when hunting , i also have a shoulder that will need to be replaced often in the field i don't feel it . BUT BY THE TIME I GET HOME IT HURTS !  People who say this most likely do not have a severe problem , i hope they never experince one !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2007, 02:45:25 AM »
Selmer:  you have gotten some good advice, especially from Graybeard.  I wouldn't get rid of the 06, just pad up or more heavily protect my shoulder when shooting from the bench.

Most of my shooting is from a bench - get the rifle sighted in, then go to standing or kneeling to see if I am still up to the accuracy of the rifle.  I use the PAST Magnum recoil Sheild that Graybeard mentioned and it works for me.  But, I will also use a shooting jacket with a padded shoulder, and that also helps.

I believe that shooters take their biggest lickin', so to speak, when shooting from a bench and I have seen some folk take the most horrendous positions at the benches that one can imagine and get the stuffing whopped outta them with even some of the lighter calibers.

If you do not notice the recoil when you are in the field (as you may take only 1 or 2 shots), then it may be something you are doing or not doing at the bench.  I am fortunate to have a great range to shoot at, but some of the benches seem to be at the wrong height and the seats don't always match up to give me the best shooting position and I have to get everything just right or I get wimped out pretty quickly.  Standing or kneeling is OK, but sometimes benching is just painful, even when I am well padded. 

I saw one fella shooting a front stuffer that was just killin' him.  He had undergone shoulder surgery a few years ago and was usually ok with shooting but this inline muzzle loader was hurting him.  And I saw why - he placed the bottom of the shoulder stock (you know, the narrow almost pointed part of the bottom of the stock) right against the point of his shoulder where the nerves pass under the muscle and then complained of both pain and numbness running down his arm - wonder why............

HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Questor

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2007, 05:21:34 AM »
Another possibility that may help is to use lighter bullets, like the 130 grain Barnes TSX when combined with the starting load for that bullet. It ought to be fine for deer and similar animals.
Safety first

Offline 303Guy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2007, 08:19:49 PM »
some say you won't feel it when hunting ..... BUT BY THE TIME I GET HOME IT HURTS !  People who say this most likely do not have a severe problem....

You are quite right!  (I have already had a shoulder repair job but mine did not affect my shooting - it was the other shoulder.  I'm fine now but my knees hurt going down hill  -  and up hill    -   and level    -   and . . . . .     )!

Anyway, I just don't like recoil anymore.

303Guy 

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2007, 11:17:23 PM »
See if a different bench position helps, such as sitting higher or lower. Then buy the best pads you can get as  GB said, and use the cast bullets for practice. I think if you do all 3 you wont need to buy a new rifle. And if you do still have the problem, then at least you know you tried everything you could before you had to give up your favorite rifle.

Offline rimfire

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2007, 02:02:37 AM »
I agree with the suggestions on lighter bulletts.  Try some of the lighter NBT bullets at around 2300-2400 fps [I think it is a 130 grain bullet, but it might be 125].  I use the 120 grain 7mm bullet in a 7-30Waters handgun at around 2300 fps and it has produced one shot drops on every deer it has been fired at.
Be honest with yourself.  Can you guarantee you would hit a paper plate at 250 yards...100 yards...50 yards?  Then you have no business replacing the plate with a live animal.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2007, 02:03:12 AM »
I use the lead sled at the bench and enjoy shooting alot more , but if you use one make sure to shoot a few shots with out it before you hunt . You may need to adjust a click or 2 !
Don't ask how i figured this out ,

Offline warrior1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2007, 12:10:20 PM »
get yourself a rossi combination gun, they come in difeerent combos but the 243 is figured in quite often.
my uncle has one with a 243 and muzzleloader. it's cheap and rossi puts out quite a good rifle.dan
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.

Offline Selmer

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2007, 03:35:14 AM »
Great discussion which can certainly continue, but I have purchased a .260 Reminton DBM mt. Rifle.  Love it!  'nuff said.
Selmer
"Next to the glory of God, music deserves the highest praise"-Martin Luther
Any homo sapien with the proper chromosomes can be labeled a father, but it takes a man to be called "Daddy"-unknown

Offline Sweet 6.5

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2007, 06:31:51 AM »
;D

Me first! before somebody shows you in the wrong direction!

6.5X55 (CZ550FS) but if it has to be short - the .260.

You can keep the 30-06, but it will not see much use.

;D ;D

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2007, 06:33:42 AM »
Its a poor dog that won't wag its own tail !
nice call !

Offline 303Guy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2007, 06:58:13 AM »
.... .260 Reminton ......  Love it!  'nuff said.
Selmer

I was hoping you would do that!  Great choice. :D

303Guy

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2007, 07:10:21 AM »
post , post shooting report on recoil if ya can would be good imfo.

Offline Sweet 6.5

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2007, 07:42:45 PM »
Now the real fun (nightmare?) starts!

140gr  NP or  140gr Hornady?  If Hornady will it be old interlock or SST? But then they also
make the SST in 129gr. Maybe 125gr NP but then what about the 130gr AB.
But then you find out the 120 gr Speers all go into the same hole at 100m. Will the deer know
the bullet was just 120gr and not 140gr?
Then from the side SWIFT's Scirocco bonded and A-frames  bullets push in to be
part of your hunting.
Barnes, Sierra... they also make 6.5mm bullets ? .... well I then have to go now, I have some
things to do....!

Offline Ruskin

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2007, 04:18:05 AM »
When I broke in my barrel on my 6.5, I ordered some Remington 140 gr from midway.  As I started shootin and increasing my powder charge the bullet hole shrank.  I was pleased.  I have some premium bullets that I was going to switch to; however, I have plenty of the Remingtons(cheap but effective).  I have killed two deer and a turkey with the cheap stuff.