Author Topic: my future NEF project  (Read 837 times)

Offline t-roy

• Trade Count: (0)
my future NEF project
« on: October 05, 2007, 09:06:53 AM »
i currently own a NEF 12ga .  i have a buddy, who's little boy wants to kill a turkey.  he shot his dad's 12ga last year, and it was too much.  i've thought about getting a 20ga barrel, getting one of those M16 style stocks, shortening it up, rigging a couple recoil pads on it.  another thought would be to get an extra set of the black stocks, and chopping it down, putting a recoil pad (or 2) on it.  possibly putting some lead shot in the stock to deaden it some.

also, i have a post about a NEF 10 ga.  if i end up getting it, would doing the same thing to the stock, and putting the 20ga ultra slug barrel on it, and adding weight to the stock, after cutting it down and putting on a recoil pad, make it tolerable for a small kid to shoot?

would the mods above deaden the recoil enough?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: my future NEF project
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 09:24:33 AM »
I strongly recommend NOT using a collasible stock on a firearm with any recoil at all, specially the toy like ATI stock, this is what can happen.

The wood stocked H&Rs are easy to cut down, add a good recoil pad like a Limbsaver grind to fit or slip on, some prefits may work too. The Stock bolt hole is a good place to fill with shot or a dead mule, or even better, a mercury recoil suppressor. You can also get the stocks in youth length, see the retail price list in the Centerfire FAQs, all H&R butt stocks will fit any frame, the NEF Classifieds is also a great place to buy/trade whatcha need. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 10:35:51 AM »
Ouch, that hurts whenever I see a pic like that.

also, i have a post about a NEF 10 ga.  if i end up getting it, would doing the same thing to the stock, and putting the 20ga ultra slug barrel on it, and adding weight to the stock, after cutting it down and putting on a recoil pad, make it tolerable for a small kid to shoot?

The 20ga USH will not fit on the 10ga frame, only other 10ga barrels and the 12ga USH.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 02:41:06 AM »
Ouch, that hurts whenever I see a pic like that.

The 20ga USH will not fit on the 10ga frame, only other 10ga barrels and the 12ga USH.

It will fit, but H&R/NEF won't fit it at the factory. You will have a little gap between the frame walls and the smaller diameter barrel though.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline t-roy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 03:36:29 AM »
i missed out on the deal for the 10ga, so its back to sending in the 12.  and i definitely won't be getting one of those ATI stocks!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 03:50:46 AM »
The ATI stocks is very toylike, but is useful for creating a very short LOP on a low recoil gun. i have one on a 223 for my 6year old. I wouldn't buy one unless you get a real good deal on it
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun