Author Topic: if you could move for good shooting where would you go ?  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Clam

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: if you could move for good shooting where would you go ?
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2007, 10:21:23 AM »
I am not 100% certain but I might be here already for hunting at least.
However, for competition I might be better off in the NW US.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2007, 07:21:10 PM »
Ha since I live in hunting paradise why consider moving!  Since I have all the time in the world, hunting don't cost me that much like it did when I was younger and had to be back by a specific time.  Two weeks ago we went on a moose hunt.  Cost out of pocket, $30.00 for fuel for the truck.  $10.00 fuel for the snow machines.  $20.00 for food.  We already had everything else.  We were gone for two days.  Brought half the fuel for the snow machines back too.  Many years we drift a river.  Cost is for fuel to get to the drop off, then fuel to the pick-up point.  Food, and the cost to rent a satellite phone.  That's it tags are free for residents.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2007, 07:38:35 PM »
I think I'd choose New Hampshire, it's tax free, great hunting in the whole state, deer turkey moose black bear etc... They can own any gun that's made, and they don't have to have a gun card like most states...they use their drivers license to purchase. Their state motto "Live Free or Die"
"I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt!"

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2007, 03:38:02 AM »
I think I'd choose New Hampshire, it's tax free, great hunting in the whole state, deer turkey moose black bear etc... They can own any gun that's made, and they don't have to have a gun card like most states...they use their drivers license to purchase. Their state motto "Live Free or Die"

I have a friend who lives in NH that i visit from time to time, and although he's NOT living in any palace, i about passed out when i saw his tax bill for his house!  I found most everything expensive there, and everything full of red tape.  We both have personal sawmills, and he even had to get some kind of permit for his, to use it on his own land!

From what i saw, the animials have a lot of hunting pressure on them and also the hunting is very hard there...  I guess it all depends on what your use to...

DM

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2007, 03:55:49 AM »
If I ever moved it'd be a toss up between Colorado and Wyoming.  It would depend on where I could find a job.  Maybe North or South Carolina, they have a pretty long hunting season from what I've heard, but I'd really love to go out west and live in the mountains.

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2007, 04:07:23 AM »
NC's hunting season isn't as long as the one we have in SC. Here we have one of the longest gun seasons a 10 muzzle loader/crossbow and a bow season. In the lower part of the state where the big bucks are you have no limit and the season is all gun but you can still hunt with your ML, bow or cross bow. No high taxes and a little public land but a lot in the mountains. Then we have hogs. deer, bear, waterfowl, varmint, and other seasons. NC is a expensive state to live in. I wouldn't go there. I would go to Colorado, Montana, or Alaska for the best places to go.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline skb2706

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2007, 11:01:21 AM »
No worse place than public land?  Hmmm..  I don't think there is much private land that you can hunt on up here...  If it's private, chances are you are about 50 yards from a house.  I couldn't stand to live in a place where I had to go to private land to hunt.  I would feel way to enclosed.

My sister farms 12000 acres...obviously all private. I can assure you if you hunt it once you will never go back to public land hunting. We get land owner vouchers for deer and antelope, access to millions of prairie dogs, coyotes and about anything else that resides on the prairie.

Like I said no worse place than public land, where you have to share with several hundred thousand other yahoos, public land is seldom respected anywhere near the same as private, game tend to congregate on private land because of the lack of pressure, enclosed in what, I can't even fathom walking all of what the farm has to offer.........I'm still trying to find the down side

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2007, 11:07:33 AM »
Hey skb2706,
     If you guys would like help with the prairie dogs I know a guy with a 223 that is looking for something to do for a few days in the spring.  He's a good shot and will follow any rules you have.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2007, 11:33:48 AM »
skb2706 if he isn't rich and doesn't have family there then it will cost him a lot. Thats the down side
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2007, 06:49:52 PM »
  I have a friend who lives in NH that i visit from time to time, and although he's NOT living in any palace, i about passed out when i saw his tax bill for his house!  I found most everything expensive there, and everything full of red tape.  We both have personal sawmills, and he even had to get some kind of permit for his, to use it on his own land!

From what i saw, the animials have a lot of hunting pressure on them and also the hunting is very hard there...  I guess it all depends on what your use to...

DM

Sounds like here-say to me, I live less than 30 miles from the NH border, so I hunt there and the animals are no more pressured in NH than animals that are hunted anywhere else. Isn't that the idea of hunting, for it to be hard and get a challenge from of it...an accomplishment? No canned hunting there, it's all fare chase. I come from the Midwest originally so that's the hunting I'm used to and the deer here are just as hard to hunt so I don't see your point?

As far as the property taxes, yep they're high, but the money they don't pay in state taxes from their paychecks and retail sales tax more than make up for that. That's all you looked at was the property tax and not the big picture. Another point you failed to look at is the wages out this way, which is what brought me out here, they pay a lot better than in the Midwest anyway. I make double out here what I could back home.
BTW, the Wal-Mart prices out here are the same in the Midwest, I go back every year for the holidays and take notice to these kinda things.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2007, 03:42:26 AM »

DM

Sounds like here-say to me, I live less than 30 miles from the NH border, so I hunt there and the animals are no more pressured in NH than animals that are hunted anywhere else. Isn't that the idea of hunting, for it to be hard and get a challenge from of it...an accomplishment? No canned hunting there, it's all fare chase. I come from the Midwest originally so that's the hunting I'm used to and the deer here are just as hard to hunt so I don't see your point?

As far as the property taxes, yep they're high, but the money they don't pay in state taxes from their paychecks and retail sales tax more than make up for that. That's all you looked at was the property tax and not the big picture. Another point you failed to look at is the wages out this way, which is what brought me out here, they pay a lot better than in the Midwest anyway. I make double out here what I could back home.
BTW, the Wal-Mart prices out here are the same in the Midwest, I go back every year for the holidays and take notice to these kinda things.

OK, i'll expand this a little... and tell how i came up with my origional answer...

I've spent a week at a time at my friends place in NH, and he comes here to mine...  When he comes here, he just can't get over how much better the hunting is here.  He says he see's much more game here than he ever does at home.   There's no fences around here to keep game animials in, so there sure as hell isn't any "canned" hunting on my property.

He's always commenting on how much cheaper the gas prices are here, and how much cheaper the restrants are here ect.. ect...

I have a lot more land than he does, and every bit as nice of a house, in fact mine has more (sq footage)  and his property taxes are 4 to 5 times "more" than mine are...  There's no way i could ever buy enough in a year to give my state enough sales tax to begin to make up that difference.  Then there's "freedom" to do what you want on your own property.  He has to get a permit for anything he does, even to own a personal bandsaw to saw tree's off his own property!

Then there's the amount of people that live there.... can you say crowded???  It's no wonder an acre of land there also cost AT LEAST 5 times more than it does here!!!

As for wages, i HOPE you are getting more there, as how else could you survive there with with the way things cost there????

Anyway, each to there own, and i'm glad we all can find a place to live that we are happy with!

DM 

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2007, 06:42:50 AM »
OK, i'll expand this a little... and tell how i came up with my origional answer...

I've spent a week at a time at my friends place in NH, and he comes here to mine...  When he comes here, he just can't get over how much better the hunting is here.  He says he see's much more game here than he ever does at home.   There's no fences around here to keep game animials in, so there sure as hell isn't any "canned" hunting on my property.

He's always commenting on how much cheaper the gas prices are here, and how much cheaper the restrants are here ect.. ect...

I have a lot more land than he does, and every bit as nice of a house, in fact mine has more (sq footage)  and his property taxes are 4 to 5 times "more" than mine are...  There's no way i could ever buy enough in a year to give my state enough sales tax to begin to make up that difference.  Then there's "freedom" to do what you want on your own property.  He has to get a permit for anything he does, even to own a personal bandsaw to saw tree's off his own property!

Then there's the amount of people that live there.... can you say crowded???  It's no wonder an acre of land there also cost AT LEAST 5 times more than it does here!!!

As for wages, i HOPE you are getting more there, as how else could you survive there with with the way things cost there????

Anyway, each to there own, and i'm glad we all can find a place to live that we are happy with!

DM 
[/quote]

Drilling Man, I respect your take on the situation and from where you sit it wouldn't probably look like a great move. I'm in Massachusetts and from where I'm at New Hampshire is where everyone, who hates the fast paced big city life (jerks), wants to be. Most people in NH live there and work down here for the better wages. Yes, there is a lot of people crammed here in a little space, which is why I like Northern NH and Maine as well....nothing like riding your bike through the white mountains. I wish I could make this money back in Illinois where the monster bucks are!!!

Offline skb2706

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2007, 06:16:42 AM »
Hey skb2706,
     If you guys would like help with the prairie dogs I know a guy with a 223 that is looking for something to do for a few days in the spring.  He's a good shot and will follow any rules you have.

Lots of guys offer to help thin them out.....to date only three have ever done it. They are sworn to lifetime secrecy too...lol. Last weekend at this time I was thinning them out at a pretty good pace, this weekend the snow and cold has me typing on forums.

06man - Having money has nothing to do with it. With the right friends you can get access to some of the finest private huntling land there is........I do it all the time and I can assure you I am not rich. Still no down side.......

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2007, 07:22:46 AM »
Around here it cost to even go as a guest at any hunting club. Right at $30 a day. I am lucky in the fact that I was able to lease some prime land this year and hopefully I will next year with my brother so its cheaper.

Rick

Offline thxmrgarand

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2007, 08:12:58 AM »
I grew up in northern NH and have now lived in Alaska for longer than I lived in NH.  I moved here almost 35 years ago in part because NH was too close to MA (the Kennedy crime family that left bodies all over NH during prohibition, the gun laws, the high taxes, etc.)  NH still has a live free or die mentality and remains the only state that has never had a sales tax or an income tax (Alaska has neither but had an income tax many years ago) but the NH population has doubled since I left and it was pretty darn crowded back then.  I will say that NH usually has the lowest welfare rates in the US, the highest SAT scores despite about the lowest state $ contribution to education, about the best but also the most expensive state university, and a great work ethic; so I hope MA people don't continue to try to make it like MA!  At the same time, here in Alaska anyone can camp any time on a large lake and be the only people using that lake whereas NH lakes are penned in by camps and homes.  There are enough lakes, mountains, glaciers, etc. for everyone.  We don't wear red or orange hunting clothes because we don't see other hunters (but a brownie picked up a deer hunter and shook him here just last week, and that is an all too common occurrence).  NH is OK on CCW but in AK, anyone who can legally carry a gun can carry one concealed and that is much better.  AK has the castle law; not sure about NH.  In the AK city where I live, I often run into a Safeway to pick up a last minute item like herring for bait and I have my .44 on (not concealed) and no one cares or notices.  I don't know how NH is in that regard.  AK has more public land than all other states combined but individuals can find no acreage to purchase.  So whether that is what a shooter or hunter wants depends upon personal preference.  The public land is free for the using and you need not pay taxes on it (except federal income tax of course).  Hunting and fishing here is as good as it was when I moved here, and every type of technology from better outboards and snowmobiles to the Internet has made living here easier.  I recommend that NH people consider relocating to AK if they feel penned in, or if they want much better hunting and fishing.    I recommend AK to anyone in that regard but I hope no one moves here wanting to implement an income tax or restrict gun ownership (people from those kinds of states might consider cleaning up their own mess back home before moving here, please).  Alaska has never voted for an anti-gun presidential candidate such as Kerry, Gore or Clinton.  Thanks for your time.

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2007, 10:00:59 AM »
I grew up in northern NH and have now lived in Alaska for longer than I lived in NH.  I moved here almost 35 years ago in part because NH was too close to MA (the Kennedy crime family that left bodies all over NH during prohibition, the gun laws, the high taxes, etc.)  NH still has a live free or die mentality and remains the only state that has never had a sales tax or an income tax (Alaska has neither but had an income tax many years ago) but the NH population has doubled since I left and it was pretty darn crowded back then.  I will say that NH usually has the lowest welfare rates in the US, the highest SAT scores despite about the lowest state $ contribution to education, about the best but also the most expensive state university, and a great work ethic; so I hope MA people don't continue to try to make it like MA!  At the same time, here in Alaska anyone can camp any time on a large lake and be the only people using that lake whereas NH lakes are penned in by camps and homes.  There are enough lakes, mountains, glaciers, etc. for everyone.  We don't wear red or orange hunting clothes because we don't see other hunters (but a brownie picked up a deer hunter and shook him here just last week, and that is an all too common occurrence).  NH is OK on CCW but in AK, anyone who can legally carry a gun can carry one concealed and that is much better.  AK has the castle law; not sure about NH.  In the AK city where I live, I often run into a Safeway to pick up a last minute item like herring for bait and I have my .44 on (not concealed) and no one cares or notices.  I don't know how NH is in that regard.  AK has more public land than all other states combined but individuals can find no acreage to purchase.  So whether that is what a shooter or hunter wants depends upon personal preference.  The public land is free for the using and you need not pay taxes on it (except federal income tax of course).  Hunting and fishing here is as good as it was when I moved here, and every type of technology from better outboards and snowmobiles to the Internet has made living here easier.  I recommend that NH people consider relocating to AK if they feel penned in, or if they want much better hunting and fishing.    I recommend AK to anyone in that regard but I hope no one moves here wanting to implement an income tax or restrict gun ownership (people from those kinds of states might consider cleaning up their own mess back home before moving here, please).  Alaska has never voted for an anti-gun presidential candidate such as Kerry, Gore or Clinton.  Thanks for your time.

That sounds great if I could find work that pays I might consider

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2007, 10:26:43 AM »
I am moving up there when I retire.

Rick

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2007, 11:40:07 AM »

My sentiments exactly!!!

Offline thxmrgarand

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2007, 01:26:33 PM »
I acknowledge my obvious bias for Alaska.  However, AK has become a good place to retire, and this is where my wife and I will retire.  The PFD sent to every resident this year was $1,640.  As I said before, no state sales or income tax (although some towns have a sales tax).  Salmon can be yanked out of the streams in such quantity that it amounts to great free food.  I have seen some Asian minority people here taking a wheelbarrow to the stream.  For big game we have deer, moose, elk, caribou, goat sheep, musk ox and bear.  Licenses are free for 60-year olds (I think, not there yet myself).  Some people don't like the winter darkness but my belief is that if a person gets outdoors for at least an hour or two each day the darkness isn't a problem.  No one complains about the daylight in summer of course.  Some prices are high but anyone has to analyze their lifestyle, for instance, gasoline is $3.31 here today but I don't use as much gas as Lower 48 people might.  Some years I put more gas through my 40 HP outboard than I do through my truck. 

We don't have turkeys, pheasants or quail.  The coastal city where I live can only be reached by plane or boat, and that is not uncommon.  That suits me fine but might bother some people.  Since government owns all the land, there's lots and lots of bureaucrats.  However, most of them came here for the hunting and fishing so they may be a different sort of bureaucrat than you find elsewhere.  The great majority of our politicians hunt, shoot and fish by the way.  Our governor's license plate says, "HUNT," and her husband has won the Iron Dog snowmobile race 7 times.  So if 85% of our land wasn't managed by Washington, DC (not entirely unlike King George managing the Colonies in 1776), Alaskans would probably be able to work things out pretty well for ourselves.  Anyone could do worse than move to Alaska.  Good evening.   

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2007, 01:49:17 PM »

I hope you have a huge retirement, cause it's going to shock you when you see what it cost to live and hunt up there these days...

DM

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2007, 02:00:47 PM »

I hope you have a huge retirement, cause it's going to shock you when you see what it cost to live and hunt up there these days...

DM

LOL Drilling Man......it's not always about money to some of us it's about what makes us happy

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2007, 03:02:45 PM »
Ill be getting all of it including a settlement this summer. But Ill be putting it back and then paying for my sons collage and then he will have to get a job and pay for the rest like I did. Ill retire from an environmental drilling co. and then going up there. Ill miss deer, turkey, hog, and quail hunting. Ill probably keep my land in SC for that. Ill have enough to move to Alaska and enough to live off. And then my check. During the winter Ill probably come back to SC and see all the family though. Or somewhere out west like Montana. And six gunz has it dead on. Sure it may be a little bit more to live there but Ill enjoy every bit of it.

Rick

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2007, 03:44:33 PM »

DM
LOL Drilling Man......it's not always about money to some of us it's about what makes us happy

You have to have the money to do the things in the first place...  That was my point from the get go...

I lived there for 25 years, so i already know what it all takes...

DM

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2007, 04:55:27 PM »
Hardly a day goes by where I don't think about moving out west or somewhere new.  I think the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, it's nice to dream though. 

Offline deltecs

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2007, 07:30:33 PM »
Private property is expensive in Alaska.  Fuel prices are similar to the lower 48 in the more populated areas.  Fresh produce is a bit harder to find and much more expensive.  Depending on where you plan to reside, taxes may be high or non existent except for federal.  For every plus there is a minus and I've considered the scales.  I've lived here now for over 39 years and I still get amazed at how clear the air is.  I look at snow capped mountains over 150 air miles away and the peaks are as sharp and clear as if only 10.  Southeast Alaska, Prince William Sound, and Kenai Fjords National Park are some of the most beautiful and pristine scenery in the world.  Other parts of Alaska are different with just as beautiful scenery.  Alaska has 5 different climates with associated flora and fauna.  Pick one and leave your previous convictions and attitudes in the lower 48.  We know it hasn't worked there, so don't bring them here.  Read a few Robert Service poems and if you have the spirit more welcome you will be.  Come only for the money or opportunity and you will find that this State is not so forgiving. 
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2007, 02:54:33 AM »
So Greg....39 years.....you must still be considering whether you should start to put down roots or pack up by now.....eh? And your sayin the scenery is kinda OK? ;D :D ;)

Offline deltecs

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2007, 07:51:43 AM »
So Greg....39 years.....you must still be considering whether you should start to put down roots or pack up by now.....eh? And your sayin the scenery is kinda OK? ;D :D ;)

Not moving anytime soon.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2007, 11:43:36 AM »
I have lived in and around most of the western states and I have settled in Kansas.  Specifically N Central.  Turkey, deer, antelope, pheasants, quail, water foul, fishing and varmints are plentiful.  And Kansas has the most public hunting access of any state.  And once you get about 150 mi west of KC the private land owners are easy to approach. 
And if you want big game Colorado and Wy. are in close proximity. 
People are nice, no crime and pretty girls. 
Believe me this is the spot.  It will NEVER be overcrowded.  E mail me and I will elaborate.  I lived in Louisiana and the licence plates say "Sportsmans Paradise"  That may have been true once, But Kansas is much better. 

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2007, 02:27:35 PM »
I am still going to Alaska. The population is not even 1,000,000 yet.  :o I hope to getting out of here in the next 10 yrs and going up there. ;D

Rick

Offline 7x57

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2007, 06:39:25 PM »
I would move off the couch and out the door....... But I live in BC, on five acres, a four minute walk from Crown land.

I can hunt all but one month of the year and can shoot any animal that walks North America save pronghorn and polar bear,  sorry fellas!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
Get as close as you can, then get ten yards closer.