Author Topic: if you could move for good shooting where would you go ?  (Read 3604 times)

Offline Drilling Man

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: if you could move for good shooting where would you go ?
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2007, 03:11:35 AM »
I would move off the couch and out the door....... But I live in BC, on five acres, a four minute walk from Crown land.

I can hunt all but one month of the year and can shoot any animal that walks North America save pronghorn and polar bear,  sorry fellas!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Sounds great...  So, could you post pictures of all the mule and white tailed deer, elk, goats, moose, blk. and brown bears, muskox, sheep, wolves, bison, mountain lion,  and caribou you harvested this year?

I'd love to see them..   ;)

DM

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2007, 08:59:31 AM »
mt. lion , bobcat , fox , coon , bob white , dove ,
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2007, 12:16:38 PM »
any more?
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2007, 04:17:58 AM »
all the waterfowl !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline thxmrgarand

• Contributor
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2007, 05:45:30 AM »
British Columbia is extraordinarily nice country. However, I think that before considering what game there might be for hunting, anyone has to first make sure gun ownership for law-abiding citizens is allowed.  For me, the BC coast would be ideal if it was part of the US.  As it is however, I used to shoot trap in NW Canada - BC and the YT - but now I would have to register my gun to do that. My wife and I very much miss those trips to Canada - the people were just plain great - but registering my gun would be exactly like pissing on the graves of all the WWI and WWII vets I've known over the years.  I know a retired RCMP who had to bury his guns on his lawn to prevent them from being seized; guns all of us in the US commonly own and that are continually discussed on GBO.  A trapshooter in Canada told me that a strict interpretation of the gun laws prevent him from even stopping for gasoline when his trap gun (a single-barrel 12 GA)  is in his truck since he had to register the gun for specific locations.  And as people who have been looking at GBO for a year or two know, an Ontario newspaper put all registered Canadian guns on their website.  In some respects, it was what happened in Canada that prodded me into working on political campaigns; going door-to-door with literature, donating money, registering voters at gun-friendly locations, etc.  And Canada is the example I cite when I tell people that gun registratrion always leads to gun confiscation! 

Offline alsatian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2008, 08:42:25 AM »
In the US, I think there is no question Alaska would be the best hunting state -- deer, bear, sheep, mountain goat, caribou (maybe no elk).  At the same time, it is pretty cold and harsh up there, pretty isolated.  Wyoming has a lot of advantages.  But my final answer would be . . . Colorado.  Colorado has good elk hunting, maybe the best; reasonable sheep and mountain goat hunting.  Colorado has pronghorn hunting, but Wyoming is real close and you could readily hunt pronghorn also.  What I like about Colorado is that you can live in an urbane, sophisticated city such as Denver or an affluent suburb of Denver and have most of the conveniences, luxuries, and other advantages of living in a big city.  Professional sports, good restaurants, specialty food stores, good wine shops, good airport services.  At the same time, I would guess you can drive maybe 200 miles to get to good skiing, good elk hunting, good trout fishing, good hiking, good camping.  I drive 250 miles often to go to visit my wife's family and to hunt deer/duck, and it is a pretty modest drive, in my opinion.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2008, 11:25:19 AM »
Heck I would want to stay away from the city part.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2008, 01:16:42 PM »
The city part is actually something my wife and I have talked about.  Denver seems to be the city where you could get the best of both worlds.  You could live on the edge of it and have all the modern conveniences, then drive an hour and a half and do anything outdoors you'd like to do.  It's a good place to consider anyways.  I know a guy who lives there and when he was trying to get people to go out there to go elk hunting it was $500 for a nonresidents tag, and $40 for a residents tag.  That alone would make my outdoor "habits" more affordable.

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2008, 03:31:12 PM »
I grew up in Texas and after leasing several places to hunt, developing them for the deer, and then loosing them to a group of lawyers or doctors willing to pay twice as much as I could, I looked around and ended up settling in Wyoming. That was over 30 years ago and I have never regretted it. I am fortunate enough to have a job working two weeks with two weeks off and I spend EVERY two weeks off either hunting or fishing. I spent my last hitch off hunting coyotes and I get off this coming Monday and plan to hunt Rabbits and coyotes this hitch off. Millions of acres of "do anything you want" public land. It doesn't get any better than this.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2008, 04:59:32 PM »
Dog shooter,
          What kind of a job do you do?  Two weeks on and two weeks off sounds like heaven on earth.  Send me a PM if you don't want it to be public info. 

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2008, 07:03:17 PM »
I used to work every other day. That was before the plant closed. Now its working all day. I have been snicking on line when I can and I took all of December off because I was going to lose a months paid vacation for no reason. Now I am back running a excavator. I am helping clean up some asbestos and the current estimation on how many dump trucks it will take 300+. The company used to dump it and now I have got to go to a 32 hour class and get on the excavator for a few weeks and move it all after working in it for 25years at the plant. This sucks. I have a settlement coming and the the Union is pressing charges against  the plant due to the asbestos. As soon as I get me settlement I am going to retire. Ohh yeah I was 5 years short of retiring and I am 45. Looks like I have hijacked the thread. Can't wait to go out west.

Rick

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2008, 01:02:34 PM »
I work in the oil fields. I work for one of the majors in a field we are developing in Colorado. On my two weeks on, I have a house provided up in the mountains in the middle of the field. The area we are drilling currently is the designated dump area for all of Colorado's trouble bears that are trapped in other areas of the state so summertime here is interesting. I see deer, elk, mountain lions, and lots of bears almost every day. It is almost hard to take my days off but I get to pack a gun on my days off. Hard duty but hey, somebody's got to do it. ;D
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2008, 03:16:38 PM »
You are lucky. I would love to have that job.

Rick

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2008, 06:45:43 PM »
Sounds like you could go trophy hunting over your lunch break if the boss would let you.   Sounds to me like you've got a great set up.

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2008, 10:01:07 AM »
I have seen some of the best looking deer and elk driving from one location to another that I have seen anywhere. I do plan to hunt here next year, non-resident. I finally get permission to hunt the private land we are drilling on. It is a 250,000 acre ranch. Will probably get a bear tag too. Never seen so many bears anywhere else. All you have to do is try to smell like a pork chop.  ;)