Author Topic: if you could move for good shooting where would you go ?  (Read 3611 times)

Offline leserz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
if you could move for good shooting where would you go ?
« on: October 05, 2007, 10:11:34 AM »
 ok lets see what you guys think about this.
 my self i have no kids, no wife, no family. i live in north west Tennessee now. i kind of would like to move just for a change. now if you wanted to move to any state to  deer hunt, predator hunting.good fishing.  good public hunting lands. i can not afford to pay for a lease. or pay some one to $400 -$500. to shoot a turkey. that's insane.    i'm on social security income.  so money is very tight. was wanting to move to texas or oklahoma but it seems they have less public hunting lands than tn.

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Re: if you could move for good shooting where would you go ?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 10:37:52 AM »
Not much public hunting land in Texas. I would think north west, maybe North Dakota or Wyoming would be your best bet.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline leserz

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 10:57:51 AM »
 things in south Dakota  are not all that friendly for hunting ether. it's like texal big land owners any indian reservation big bucks. want a deer tag ? you need to have proof in writing that you have a place to hunt before you can get a tag. they changed the law up there because to many hunters were complaining that they could not find a place to hunt after they bought a deer tag.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 11:05:39 AM »
I always thought Wyoming would be THE PLACE to live for a person who likes to shoot and hunt. In fact I originally intended to go to college there and was accepted for admission to the Univ. of Wy. but my parents wouldn't foot the bill for me as a non resident and to become a resident I'd have had to move there for a year and survive before starting school. I ended up getting my degree in Bama and just never managed to make it west in spite of good intentions.

It has vast tracts of public land and about every game animal in the lower 48 is found there even tho these days most everything is by lottery not over the counter tags as it was in the days when I was young. I sorta hate winter and am not sure me and winters there would mesh but I still think if I could live anywhere I wanted that's where it would be.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 11:08:27 AM »
Montana or Idaho.  Big public land area - great trout fishing - bear coyote mountain lion moose elk deer pheasant turkey duck geese bobcat grouse etc.  Deer on the plains of eastern Montana or in the mountains of Idaho.  But don't tell anyone else.  It's a secret.
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline leserz

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 11:33:31 AM »
 well i don't like snowy, frigged  winters ether had to many of then when i lived in northern Illinois  that's why i moved to Florida. winters were nice but gee's it cost to live there  every thing cost more there. a starter fixer upper house there  depends where is $ 300.000   so i moved to Tn. a year ago august. winters are a bunch better than Illinois.
 my EX know some people in twin falls Idaho  they say winters there are mild ? but there are spots that get huge amounts of snow. seen a pic of her friends mothers home snow as high as the eves. now that's snow i don't need. looking at a map of Idaho the south east part of the state has tons of wild life areas. might look into it some.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 05:27:34 AM »
It gets cold here, but it is a dry cold, and I can walk around in 25 degree weather with a sweater or a sweat shirt on.  Twin falls is at a lower elevation and snow is not high there.  I doubt more than a foot or so.  I live near Yellowstone and we get about 4 feet.  It helps when tracking elk.
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 05:39:28 PM »
Ya might want to check Utah and Oregon
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 01:58:12 PM »
For a guy who likes to shoot a lot, East Los Angeles sure seems to have a lot of activity!! :D
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 04:31:21 PM »
Wyoming or Montana. I love the winter and cold weather. I can't stand the heat. Heat takes the life out of me. I don't think Utah would be a good place. Don't they allow multiple wives there? You know what happens when you have more than one wife? Well, the answer is....you have more than one wife! ???

Dave

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 07:49:17 PM »
Heck if you don't like cold, you could just move here to Alaska.  It's sunny all the time, and hangs out around 74 degrees most of the winter... right next to the fireplace..  ;D

I have some good friends in Wyoming, and they don't ever shutup about the hunting there, sounds like a good place to go.  Lots of deer, and lots and lots of pheasants I guess.  I've never personally been there... but heard a lot.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 10:36:10 AM »
I already have good shooting so my answer is swayed a bit. Besides if I told you then the shooting wouldn't be as good. Lets just say it ain't in any of the places mentioned. Why would you confine yourself to public land ? There is absolutely no worse place to hunt than public land. If you don't like cold and snow it wouldn't work for you anyway...........

Offline Sweet 6.5

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 07:54:08 PM »
About 70 years back in time and
right in the middle of the Zambezi valley!

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 02:42:15 AM »
I'm with you. 100 years ago in the Lado Enclave, living off elephant meat and shooting ivory.

Offline Tackleberry

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
  • That's not a gun---This is a gun....
    • mil
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 03:49:09 AM »
NEVADA NEVADA  NEVADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BLM LAND EVERYWHERE>>PICK A SPOT AND CLEANUP AFTER YOURSELF!!!
David Berry
LCDR USN (ret)
NRA Life member
Texan by birth and the grace of GOD
OLE MISS graduate

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 06:31:52 AM »
WY.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 09:44:28 AM »
No worse place than public land?  Hmmm..  I don't think there is much private land that you can hunt on up here...  If it's private, chances are you are about 50 yards from a house.  I couldn't stand to live in a place where I had to go to private land to hunt.  I would feel way to enclosed.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 09:52:19 AM »
Virginia ! deer 7 weeks reg. gun , bow a mo. , ml 2weeks ! all at seperate times !
turkey spring and fall !
state owned ranges around state !
western half mostly public land east has many public sites !
public bear hunting , state maintained duck blinds , nov. to march predator hunting . with some year round !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 12:57:08 AM »
I would just like to be able to move out of Schenectady County in NYS, which is in the top 10 highest taxed counties inna whole US.  Maybe next door to Montgomery County where them theivin' corn fed whitetails get big and grow 10 or 12 points and the turkey start to over populate to the point where you get tired of eatin'em, and the small game acts like mankind was never there.  Mikey.

Offline 300winman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 03:53:55 AM »
Winters are pretty mild here in  Western Oregon.  But the hunting is less than desirable.  The whole eastern side is by drawing only for deer and elk.  And hunting Blacktails on the west side here is pretty tough in the thick forage.  Fishing is good, but limited mainly to trout and salmon.  Washington is a bit better, but only on the northeastern side of the state where it borders Idaho. But the winters are not mild there.  I go to Michigan every year hunting on my 72 acres.  Last year I took three deer.  I'm just waiting for the opportunity to move back to MI.  IMO,  you can't beat the midwest for hunting and fishing.
Big Guns get''''r done!!!!

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 07:27:54 AM »
300winman,
        I live in Northeast Indiana and the midwest is a good place to hunt if you either have land, or pay an outfitter.  I have hunted in the U.P. of michigan too and have always seen deer there.  Where abouts do you hunt in Michigan.  I might be going back up to the U.P. this season for a quick three day hunt, if I'm lucky.  Michigan is the nations best kept secret for great fly fishing too.   
        I were going to move, I'd be heading towards wyoming.  I love indiana because it's home, but I could sure make a new home in wyoming!

Offline 300winman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2007, 01:09:05 PM »
Teddy,
I own land sw of Colwater, MI about 5 miles north of the indiana border. 

MI is great for deer, small game and fishing.  But for big game(elk, moose, bear), Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming are all great places.  Most avid big game hunters I've met here(OR) and in Washington, go to those three states to fill a tag. I have only traveled through, but wouldn't mind living in Big Sky country.  I have been looking at hunting in Idaho next year, all depends on what I have going on.  But one thing is for sure, I will be in MI Nov. 15!!!!
Big Guns get''''r done!!!!

Offline deltecs

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 04:42:49 PM »
Heck if you don't like cold, you could just move here to Alaska.  It's sunny all the time, and hangs out around 74 degrees most of the winter... right next to the fireplace..  ;D

I have some good friends in Wyoming, and they don't ever shutup about the hunting there, sounds like a good place to go.  Lots of deer, and lots and lots of pheasants I guess.  I've never personally been there... but heard a lot.

I agree with the quote and I do live in Alaska.  Prior to moving here in 1969, I lived in upper NW of Pa. just outside Alleghany National Forest with lots of public hunting land.  Alaska has 5 separate and distinct climates, so you don't have to live in the bitter cold.  Where I live in Prince William Sound the year round weather is more moderate than where I lived in Pa.  The winters are warmer and the summers cooler.  It rains a bit more, snow is heavier, and hunting better.  If I didn't want to live where I did, I certainly wouldn't wait around to move.  Life is much too short to waste procrastinating over a decision.  Research the area you'd think you'd like and then get there.  I reside on and own the only piece of private property within 15 miles in every direction and surrounded by Chugach National Forest; public hunting and some of the most spectacular scenery in the world. 
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2007, 02:35:37 AM »
Alaska sounds like heaven to me!  If I could convince my wife that we could find jobs there, I might have a chance.

Offline deltecs

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2007, 11:13:15 AM »
Alaska sounds like heaven to me!  If I could convince my wife that we could find jobs there, I might have a chance.

It may not be heaven, but to me, it is heaven on earth.  I will never reside anywhere outside of Alaska if I can help it.  NO SNOWBIRDING FOR ME.  If I'm not tough enough to handle Alaska, then it is time to take the next great adventure.  I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis for over 25 years ago and although it has limited some of my activities, there are enough means of transportation to do what I want to do here.  I even cut and split my own firewood for winter heat.  It just takes a bit longer.  Jobs are available, cost of living is expensive but not as bad as it used to be, and cost of private land is exorbitant.  Even with these faults, I could reside in any other State; there is an element of the wild and untamed here that cannot be verbalized and must be experienced to appreciate.  Any the scenery almost everywhere is unbelievable.  Like Robert Service wrote, Send not your weak and foolish.  They don't survive up here.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2007, 05:19:40 PM »
  I lived in Alaska for 25 years and hunted all over the state including extensively in Prince William Sound.  It is a beautiful place to hunt...

But now i live in the midwest, and the hunting here is better!  Better yet, it only cost a fraction here of what it did to hunt in Alaska...

DM

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2007, 01:59:01 AM »
I've never hunted in Alaska, but just variety of game alone would have to make hunting there better than in the midwest.  In Indiana all we have is deer and very little public land.  Alaska has bear, moose, caribou,....  I'd like to go hunting there sometime.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2007, 02:12:40 AM »
shooting , HUM ! not shot !
why do people keep posting places where only a few critters can be shot each season ?
where seasons are short ?
Go east and south , hunt 7-10 or more weeks , shoot a deer every day in some places ! NOW THAT GOOD SHOOTING !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2007, 03:23:14 AM »
I've never hunted in Alaska, but just variety of game alone would have to make hunting there better than in the midwest. 

Like you said, you've never hunted in Alaska, so i guess you don't know that even though there many different animals they are huge distances apart.  Distance = huge sums of $$$$...

I can easily and fairly cheaply drive to where i want to go here, and we have all kinds of small game plus turkeys, deer, bear, elk ect...  I can shoot several deer a year, many more than i'd want, right here in the mid west...

My freezer is just as full here as it was in Alaska... 

The BEST part about where i live now is, i can afford to own my own hunting property!  Now excuse me, i have to go look over the bucks in my fiels...  (i'm not kidding)

DM

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2007, 06:23:18 AM »
I had the decision to make when I got out of college.  I took a couple of job and house hunting trips out west and decided I could stay in Arkansas, save my money and go on hunting trips cheaper than I could live in the big game states.   With the high cost of living in Colo I figured I would have to work two jobs with little time off to live the way I wanted.  I have hunted pheasants in Kansas, and  hunted and fished in Colo for about 20 years.   Shot antelope and prairie dogs in Wyoming a few times and been to Montana a couple of times for deer elk and birds.  I haven't bagged a lot of Boone and Crockett heads but have been pretty successful on my do it yourself hunts.  I have always hunted public land or farmer friendly areas in the case of the pheasants.  I couldn't hunt the wilderness areas in Wyoming because I was a non resident so Colorado and Montana got my elk money. So far, I have never used a guide and have been able to hunt about all I wanted to.   I have also had access to good hunting in Arkansas for deer, turkey, quail and doves without never having to pay because my family and I own farm land.  As I am nearing retirement age I am again thinking of the wide open spaces.  It is becoming so populated here in Arkansas, I cannot shoot a rifle out the back door like I once could.   I may follow my brother, who has moved to Montana and bought a ranch just so he would have a place to hunt.  He doesn't have waterfowl, antelope or good fishing so I have consoled myself a person must always travel to hunt.