Author Topic: rangefinder  (Read 400 times)

Offline Woodbutcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
rangefinder
« on: October 05, 2007, 01:30:10 PM »
 Any advise about a rangefinder for shooting sports?  20 to 200 yards, maybe a bit farther.
 I remember reading about a instrument that when used showed two images in the eyepiece that could be adjusted to converge, and the distance read. Didn't need lasers and batteries, and didn't require an object of known size to use for reference like a golfer uses.
                                             Thank you, Woodbutcher

Offline sidekick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: rangefinder
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 02:55:57 PM »
The 'device' you speak of is junk from all I have ever heard, thought I've never owned one. The only laser rangefinder I have ever used is my Leica 900. It is very easy to use, has great glass and the read is instantaneous. I think most rangefinders are rated based upon there ability to measure distance off something like a reflective road sign. Their ability to measure distance off a deer is in the neighborhood of about half, maybe a little more, of their rated distance. That is, my 900 yard rated Leica is probably good to around 450 to 500 off a deer. Further than I would likely shoot. A 400 yard rated rangefinder will not give you readings off game at that distance. Check out several different models before you buy.

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 04:19:21 PM »
 Thank you Sidekick. If it's junk, then that's probably why it's not to be found now. One of those ideas that sound good, but won't work. Thanks again. Woodbutcher

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 08:29:44 PM »
I have a Bushnell Sport 450  (Lazer) that normally sells for around 150 bucks while it does not have all the bells and whistles the more expensive models do it works fine I just got it and am happy with it. It ranges from 5 yards to 800. 200 yards for a deer 450 for a tree and 800 for a highly reflective target like a shiney house for example. I bought mine mostly for archery hunting so 200 yards is a great plenty. The ones you are talking about can be found on places like Ebay but do your self a favor and buy a new Lazer one they are much better and easier to use. No dialing in just push a button.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 07:39:49 PM »
 Thanks JP. I agree 200 yds. is plenty for me. Woodbutcher