Author Topic: STAINLESS RE-FINISH SUGGESTIONS  (Read 760 times)

Offline EDELWEISS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
STAINLESS RE-FINISH SUGGESTIONS
« on: October 06, 2007, 09:42:05 AM »
Im asking on other sites, in case youve seen this question.  What are my options for "darkening" a stainless revolver.  Ive read and heard about teflon and I guess other finishes but I never really paid attention and now I need some suggestions.  Im looking at a new 626 the price is calling me but I cant stand the look of stainless.  Id like to have it at least darkened, but I really want it to look "blue" or black.  Is that possible? 

What are my options?  Who could do it?  Any idea about the cost?

Offline williamlayton

Re: STAINLESS RE-FINISH SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 12:21:28 PM »
Go over too pistolsmith and sign in there.
They have a finish forum and the pro's will give good advice---as a matter of fact, if you browse the archives this has been discussed.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 05:56:24 PM »
I had a stainless steel Encore barrel refinished by SSK Industries in a black mil spec finish.  In my opinion, it's both durable and attractive.  It cost a bit less than $100 for a single barrel; I'm sure to do a whole gun it would be more.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 03:37:26 AM »
Mag-Na-Port has done a few for me and I'm completely satisfied with all of their work.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 03:57:46 AM »
The most cost friendly solution to get rid of the shine on your stainless steel gun is to have it bead blasted. This makes a very nice looking finish for a hunting gun, I've had a couple of my guns done this way and I really like the results. Another plus to this type of finish is that should you scratch it all you need to do is have it touched up, and this should be a very small fee. I haven't had to get mine touched up yet, but my smith that did my last one told me this.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline MS Hitman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 05:20:44 PM »
I have used 80 grit glass beads with 60 psi behind them and gotten a finish very similar to the Freedom Arms  revolvers.  If you want to darken the finish, add some regular sand to the mix or just use sand.  I watched David White do this on several Contender barrels and it gave a finish very similar to the SRH in .454.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 01:06:41 AM »
Edelweiss:  purchase the revolver, contact S&W and tell them you have purchased a used revolver you wish to send back for refinishing.  They will bead blast the piece (as Slufoot suggested) and blue it.  The result is a very nice looking matt finish quite similar to the finish on the older Highway Patrolman. 

I sent them a 6.5" M29-2 and had it rebarrelled with a 4" stainless Mountain Gun barrel, bead blasted and blued to match, and it looks like I'm packing my old Highway Patrolman. 

Also, if there is anything else you want them to do, such as check the revolver for wear or to replace any parts, let them know up front and your revolver will come back to you looking, and acting like new.  Mikey.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 02:14:03 PM »
S&W marketed some blue stainless guns years ago but, I ddin't get the process? Maybe ask on the S&W forum?
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 01:29:22 AM »
Won't some of the shake and bake recipes work on stainless ans well as most of the new finishes as suggested here??
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 01:28:56 PM »
The most cost friendly solution to get rid of the shine on your stainless steel gun is to have it bead blasted. This makes a very nice looking finish for a hunting gun, I've had a couple of my guns done this way and I really like the results. Another plus to this type of finish is that should you scratch it all you need to do is have it touched up, and this should be a very small fee. I haven't had to get mine touched up yet, but my smith that did my last one told me this.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

I use progressively finer grades of Scotch Brite pads, to match dull finish of Rugers? I start with the rougher pads and go to the finer pads.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 11:37:55 AM »
I would recommend doing what Mikey and S.B. said.  S&W did have a black stainless finish, but I don't know if that is a process that can be done to a finished revolver.  It's worth a try and as Mikey state they can tend to anything else that needs attention while it's there.  I don't believe it'll be cost friendly, but it will be done right.

Offline huntersmurf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 06:45:40 PM »
If you are looking at the teflon coatings this guy does great work and prices are reasonable too.

http://www.blackicecoatings.com/

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 04:34:52 AM »
I have a 37 S&W that is teflon coated and I had a Charter .44 Bulldog that was also.  I'm not happy with the teflon coatings.  They seem much to 'soft' and wear off quickly.  Much quicker than a 'shake and bake' finish or even a blue finish would.  I'll not do one again!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!