Author Topic: setting up a moss.500 for self defense  (Read 735 times)

Offline TIMBERTRAMP

• Trade Count: (0)
setting up a moss.500 for self defense
« on: October 06, 2007, 06:38:30 PM »
I have a mossberg500 12ga. that I no longer use for hunting ,so i'd like to set it up as a sd gun, so far i'm thinking of the following mods-having the bbl cut to 18.5,ammo side saddle,sling mounts,ghost ring sights with a glow in dark-night sight front sight,flashlight mount/light -i'm having trouble finding the sights I want,and are unsure on a light/mount setup-any suggestions/advise appreciated
.thanks-tt.

Offline Illhunter

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
Re: setting up a moss.500 for self defense
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 04:57:05 PM »
not sure about the sights or light but you can get an 18.5 inch bbl for it and if it was me i would get a pistol grip for it. My sd gun will be if i can get it is a mossberg persauder with 20" bbl and heat shield and 8 shot.

Offline Raging480

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 10:42:40 AM »
I have an 8 shot Mossberg 500 that I am also setting up for tactical use.  I am going to wait on the ghost ring for now, but I am getting a nylon shell carrier to slip on the stock, as well as a 20 round bandolier. ;D.  I have a pistol grip, but I prefer the composite buttstock due to me being a lefty and the placement of the safety.  I am replacing the magazine tube spring and going to give the gun a good cleaning/oiling.

As I have been shopping, I noticed the choices for sights are far less than the plethora of sights for a Rem. 870.

As far as ammo goes, does anyone have any opinions on Hornady's light magnum 00 buckshot?
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 11:11:56 AM »
I have a Remington 870, but I got it for the same idea you're talking about.  Mine has an 18" cylinder bore barrel with a bead, 6 shots, and a side saddle.  I used to keep 6 rifled slugs in the tube and 4 shells of 00shot in the saddle.  That set up was pretty short for a shotgun but still fairly long for getting around in the house.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline Illhunter

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 12:31:14 PM »
I like the pistol grip to make it shorter and easier to get around in the dark don't like using a light and i thought about 00 buck but as i read on here somewhere else i would use some good #4 shot or even high velocity #7 or 8 and maybe put a few slugs  in the bandolier or the nylon shell holder just in case i need more power just my .02 worth

Offline Raging480

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 12:47:41 PM »
USe birdshot on birds.  They've been tested, and only produce shallow, nasty wounds that don't necessarily stop bad guys.  Go for the buckshot.
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 05:51:27 PM »
A picture of my house shotgun,Moss 500,12 ga, Surefire flashlight mount,Knox folding stock,Sidesaddle ammo carrier and a TriJicon front sight .It serves my purposes well,    Doug   pardon the toes
a armed man is his own master

Offline Joel24

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 01:09:10 PM »
I've got a Persuader 9 shooter that I like a lot...Decided what I want is a Surefire forend like Canon6 has going and some XS night sights, maybe just a tritium front sight. House gun and all.

I do like the side saddle though! That's a great looking shotgun.

Only load I plan on using it for defense with is 2 3/4" 00 buck, maybe low recoil if I can find it. Maybe slugs in the side saddle if I get one.