Author Topic: 410 bore slug gun  (Read 1257 times)

Offline yar62

• Trade Count: (0)
410 bore slug gun
« on: October 07, 2007, 02:17:49 PM »
Hello all! I'm new to this forum, I'm glad I found it! I just got my NEF 410 back from having it made into a slug shooter. Had the choke cut out of the barrel, and the muzzle was crowned  same as a target rifle. Had a top mount weaver base installed and a bushnell 4x32 scope mounted. Let me say, what a dandy little slug shooter! Great accuracy with Breneke silver slugs, and the remington 410 slugger. Would really like to send some pic's but can't for now. Have this old pc an no plug in for camera. Sorry friends! hope to have the newer pc soon. Anyway, good luck in whatever season you all hunt in!

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 410 bore slug gun
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 03:21:05 PM »
I would really like to see the pics when you can. I love those little 410's. Who did you get to do the work for you? I would not mind having one like that for my son.Oh yeah welcome to Graybeards.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 11:38:32 PM »
Welcome to Graybeard.
I, too, have thought of doing up a 410 for a slug gun.  More for just foolin' around with than hunting.  Right now the only 410 I have is a Tamer.  If I did one up like you have, I think I would start with a 26" and cut it down to 22".  That would make for a real Handi and balanced set-up.  What length did you end up with?  How accurate is it?....How tight are the groups?  Any and all info on this would be appreciated.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 01:53:27 AM »
Welcome aboard, I also am interested in group size, at 50 yards if you have shot it that far, thanks....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline yar62

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 02:58:26 AM »
Hello Friends! Thanks for viewing my post. I had a local pro. gunsmith do the work. Here's what I had done. He cut the first 2" off this made the barrel a cyl. bore and the smithy made an arbor bit that fit perfectly to the 410 bore an made a beautifully done target rifle crown. He then drilled an tapped the breech an ordered the weaver scope base, weaver rings, an the bushnell sportsman 4x32, the smithy also did a little work on the hammer, just a tiny notch so I could set the hammer spur in place. My gun is a pardner wood stock all blue. It now has a 24" barrel cyl. bore which I'm finding out shoots very well! I did my research before ever starting this. I've only had the chance to shoot for a couple hours at a local range. Not knowing where the gun would shoot I shot at 25yards off bench. So far I've found the 2.5" winchester rounds give terrible accuracy, although I did use them to get me on target. The next round in the breech was the remington 2.5" slugger, A good steady hold an crosshairs centerd put that slugger dead center! I was amazed and thrilled just knowing at this point the money spent was going to be worth it. Tried another remington slugger, and just about the same. Next I shot the brenneke silver slug. Man what shooters these german slugs are! These slugs printed about an 1/2" group @ 25 yrds. These brenneke cost more, but you get what you pay for. Keep in mind also I had the work done by a man in the gunsmith buisness for many years. And I really think that crowned muzzle makes a difference. This is my deer gun, some folks may frown on that, but they don't carry the shoulders that I have to. Anyway, thanks for your questions and your comments. Have a great day! <><

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 04:13:14 AM »
Thanks for the informative reply yar62. I prefer Brenneke slugs in my 12 gauge smoothbore H&R/NEF for accuracy and lknockdown power. I may try some in one of my .410's. I really wish I could find some in 16 gauge....<><....:)   
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline yar62

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 05:40:26 AM »
Hi MSP Ret. Here's something you may be interested in! I checked the brenneke web site out for you and they manufacture the 16 ga. slug this year, called the 16 ga. classic. Here's the site. www.brennekeusa.com   You can also find out were to get these slugs from. Here where I live its Dicks sporting goods, or Gander Mountain. Good Luck I hope you can get them. <><

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 06:14:51 AM »
Thanks buddy, I have a 16 gauge Pardner that shoots (shot) the old Remington paper cased slugs great. I don't have any 16 gauge paper cased Remington slugs  left and want to try some Brennekes in it since they do so well in my 12's....<><....:)

Update - have not been able to locate any in New England but have called Brenneke USA and was put in touch with the distributor. I have left a message for Mr. Charlie Hayes and am expecting a call back regarding where I may be able to get some of the new 16 gauge Brenneke slugs...

Offline 45/70fan

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 08:42:24 AM »
MidwayUSA has them listed as coming soon.

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 09:01:10 AM »
R&R Arms has the 16ga Classic in stock.  I have ordered a couple of things from them before (no ammo) and they were very quick.

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=A1601820
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline yar62

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 10:58:33 AM »
To MSP Ret. I have a question. When shooting foster slugs from your H&R/NEF guns do you shoot with the bead sight or do you have another sight system? My son now owns my old topper 88 and thats how I shot it quite a few years ago. It actually shot good out to about 40yds. But that was awhile ago an my eyes were sharper. Other than Brenneke, what other foster slugs have you found that shot well from your H&R hammer guns? Thanks for your reply MSP Ret.

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 11:23:54 AM »
I have used the Remington BuckHammers in my 12ga NEF.  They have done very good.  I do have a screw in rifled choke tube for the barrel.  For sights I could hardly see the bead at early morning and late afternoon.  I found a fiber optic tube that is on a piece of plastic that slips around the barrel and slides up against the bead.  It made a world of difference.

It is similar to this one http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=711539&t=11082005

Although I got it cheaper at CDNN, but I don't think I saw one on their site last time I looked.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 01:43:13 PM »
From what I have seen and tried the Rottwiel/Brenneke slugs were the best for accuracy and knock down power for deer sized, thin skinned, non dangerous game and of those I preferred the standard 2 3/4" over the 2 3/4" Magnums or 3" Magnums . Remington Sluggers were not to bad, Federal and Winchesters, my old favorites, did not do to well in my H&R/NEF's. I have not shot the Buckhammers because I thought they were a bit pricey and I could get Brennekes, which I consider superior, for less money. I have Tracker I's with iron sights in 12 and 20 gauge and my favorite, a 12 gauge 24" Turkey barrel with screw in chokes that has been drilled and tapped and an H&R/NEF scope rail added. I had a red dot on it and now have a shotgun scope on it. This gun is great for deer, turkeys or varmints with a shotgun with either the red dot or a scope on it These are my favorite slug guns with the exception of my 16 gauge Pardner with just a bead front sight. I shoots GREAT!!! I also have a 12 gauge Tracker II that has been drilled and tapped and a H&R/NEF scope rail and shotgun scope mounted but because of the exhoribtant cost of slugs for it and the accuracy I get from my smoothbores I do not use it. I also like the Dixie Slugs for dangerous game and where penetration is needed (hogs, large bear, water buffalo etc.). I also like the Dixie Tri Ball with a .660 choke tube for deer and I think the Tri Ball would work for hogs as well....<><....:) 

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 07:10:51 PM »
Mine is the 24" Turkey barrel.  I use the Carlson rifled choke tube.  I took the barrel to two different gunsmiths and both said the barrel was too thin to drill and tap for their comfort.  I had never been to either before, so I took their word for it.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 02:31:41 AM »
It is touchy critical work and a pain but it can be done. My gunsmith was doing them and had found the newer H&R/NEF 12 gauge barrels have thicker chamber walls than the older barrels. I had posted his info here and some had sent their 12 gauge barrels to him to be drilled and tapped and a scope rail added. He stopped doing them after he received a few of the older barrels to do and there was not enough meat in the chamber walls for even him to do safely. He ended up just sending the older thinner barrels back the the members at his expense. He would mike each barrel chamber wall before doing the work. He would drill the hole to a larger size than the factory mounting screw size, flat bottom the hole and then file the screw to the correct length to get full thread engagement. The holes in the scope rail would be enlarged to take the new screws and then the scope rail would be set with epoxy and the new oversize screws. It was a timely process that could only be done if the chamber walls were thick enough and each barrel had to be considered on it's own thickness....I am lucky to have 2 done....<><....:)

Offline yar62

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 10:36:59 AM »
Thanks MSP Ret. for your replys. It's a great thing of how much can be done with a smoothbore. I really would like to be able to shoot the bigger gauges, perhaps a 20ga. with a thick recoil pad, maybe sometime. Anyway, My Dad, had a side by side 16ga. man what a nice shootin gun that was! One barrel imp. cyl. and the other was mod. My Dad and I used that old 16ga. for hunting, I think we used federal ammo in it and it did shoot a slug with decent accuracy, but man it had quite a kick! Non the less, it was a good gun. Aside from my old mod. 88 this 410 pardner that I've had done into a slug shooter is about the extent of my shotgun shooting. The next gun I get needs to be a good grouse and pheasant gun, and it has to be more than a 410. Maybe the pardner 28ga.

Offline accuratemike

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.accuratepower.com
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 08:15:24 AM »
I too built a NEF .410 slug gun. I used a .410 youth, drilled and tapped the barrel for a scope mount (forget which one) and bought a MonteCarlo butt stock and hammer extension from NEF. I use it for feral cats. The .22 wasn't getting the job done. I didn't want to go rifle due to my surroundings. It shoots pretty well. I have used Remington and Brenneke slugs in it. The Brennekes look to be key-holing when they hit the target. The Remingtons are leaving a nice round hole. Not much effect on accuracy, I don't know why it happens though. I have not cut the choke off of the end of the barrel yet, was thinking about it. I would like to get a longer forearm for it. I'm just not sure which one would fit the contour of my youth's barrel. The gun is light and quick to the shoulder. And, it DOES get the job done. If I can remember, I'll try to post a pic of it. Enjoy, MIKE

PS I post often on the Mortar/Cannon board, this is my first foray into the rest of Graybeards vast domain. Couldn't pass up a NEF .410 slug gun thread.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 01:21:35 PM »
Glad to have you joining in with us here accuratemike, come often and stay late, you and others are always welcome here....<><....:)