Author Topic: Fred Thompson, Ron Paul comparison  (Read 4373 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: Fred Thompson, Ron Paul comparison
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2007, 09:14:15 AM »
  The NEA, both of them  National Education Assn and the National Endowment for the Arts..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2007, 03:46:51 PM »
IG and NomoS,,,,,how do you figure RP hasn't a 'moral compass' in your book? Cause I get the opposite impression and seems like he supports all your positions except for the phony corporate global war on terror and American people.

....TM7

Well, his stance concerning homos .

You actually do not know my position concerning the war on terror, i is a little to the right of Atilla The Hun.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2007, 05:44:17 PM »
tm7 moderator??? Enjoy your forum, I'm gone. POWDERMAN. Can't use a smilie, my post disappears when I click on one.

It wouldn't if you'd turn off the silly spell check.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2007, 01:50:39 AM »
Thanks Greybeard!  I wondered why that happened.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2007, 03:08:04 AM »

Nw hunter;

I admit there are many government programs that can be deleted without harm to and probably great beneft to the average citizen;

...But the CIA, FBI and Homeland Defense ?

We need the CIA, and the Homeland Security like we need the plague !
We got along just fine without the CIA  before 1947.
The FBI was established in 1908 to investigate Federal crime. Problem today is.......nearly everything is a FEDERAL crime.
The Department of Homeland Security is the final straw, I'm afraid to our freedoms in America.
If our fearless leaders would keep the invaders out of our country, we would only need law enforcement at the State level.
And I will defend my home, or go down trying, and that should be MY choice,  not the Federal Gov.
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline magooch

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2007, 05:17:08 AM »
What exactly is the other goofy stuff he says , that queers the deal? More detail please!

Okay, some of the things Paul says have been mentioned, but the one that made him sound like Dennis Kocinich is when he talks about the Iraq War as being illegal and that we shouldn't have gotten into it in the first place.  Anyone who thinks the world and us in particular would be better off with Saddam still in charge is nuts.  That bastard should have been taken down for burning all that Kuwaiti oil at the end of Desert Storm--if for no other reason.  And I don't care what anyone says, he was supporting terrorists and there is a certainty that he would have provided them with additional help and weaponry if he were still around.
Swingem

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2007, 07:39:00 AM »
magooch.  I agree that the world is much better off without Saddam, but bottom line, Saddam was no real threat to America, and it has not been proved that he had any part in the 9-11 incident.  The truth of the matter is, there was more direct support out of Saudi Arabia than Iraq.  To use the theory that eliminating those who, in our view, are not good for the world is ridiculous, if this is a valid political position when are we going to invade North Korea, Iran, Syria, or any of the dozen or so other countries where terrorist activity is initiated and supported.  You say, "I don't care what anyone says, he was supporting terrorist."  Can YOU prove that, or,  are you so attached to Bush's shirt tail that you believe anything he says?

To get into the roots of the terrorist activity around the world I suggest you take a look at Sheikh Khalid bin Mahfouz.  Who is he?  Well, he is a very wealthy and influential Saudi.  Big deal, you say, but even by the standards of very wealthy and influential Saudis, this guy is plugged in.  He was personal banker for the Saudi Royal family and head of the National Commercial Bank of Saudi Arabia, until he sold it to the Saudi government.  It is a proven fact that his bank is responsible for funding the majority of the terrorist activity around the world through many operations described as a "Charity."  He is a "stand back and let someone else do the work kinda guy," but rest assured, it was his funding that provided the training for the 9-11 crews, and continued terrorist activity around the world.  His influence is deeply embedded in American and World politics, and there is a tight bond between him and the most respected pillars of the American establishment.  

To put thing's in the proper prospective, Saddam eliminated over 300,000 Iraqis, during his rein, it the short period Bush has been in charge, he is responsible for the elimination of well over 600,000.  Now I ask, is one any worst than the other?

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2007, 12:06:23 PM »
Rockbilly..600,000 ? Where in the world did such a figure come from ?

Most plausible estimators figure 80,000..bad enough..but 600,000..gotta see it . ( No Lib blogs, thanks)
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2007, 02:27:27 PM »
ironglow.  I apologize for my typo, what I intended to say was 60,000, but that too is questionable, the accuracy of "body count" is mostly based on estimates.  I would expect that to be closer to your figure of 80,000.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2007, 02:19:10 AM »
NM Hunter
Times do change. We got along without the tank until WWII also.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2007, 02:42:04 AM »
williamlayton.  I guess my ole Grandpa was confused when he told me he served in the Tank Corp in WWI.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2007, 03:02:50 AM »
rockabilly , the USA had 84 tanks in WW-1 , most were copies of the Italian tank which was one of the better ones at that time .
Did either of these guys serve in a tank crew ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2007, 03:41:24 AM »
   Wm

A small correction is in order from an old tanker:

The U.S. did have a few tanks during WW1, though they were not much as tanks go. The Ford 3-ton being about the only model available,
     and just how much action it saw is a matter of conjecture. Mostly, our few troops that were in tanks used the French Renault tank .

The first and perhaps best tank of WW1 was the British Mark series (male & female) which were designed by Gen Swinton using American Holt tractors.
   The Holt was the predecessor to the Caterpillar.
    A few were designed by Best and Studebaker, but were experimental at best.           http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/

That being said, the government needs intelligence networks to be able to defend the homeland, furthermore, to sit around home with
       our personal weapon, waiting for the enemy to show up is fatuous in the extreme.
      In today's world of bio, chemical and smart bomb warfare, getting rid of "one well armed man" is not more difficult than dusting a rabbit !

Offline Casull

« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2007, 06:31:07 AM »

Oh really, nwhunter.  You think just maybe the CIA might have come in handy before Pearl Harbor?  Sheesh.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2007, 06:51:08 AM »

Oh really, nwhunter.  You think just maybe the CIA might have come in handy before Pearl Harbor?  Sheesh.

Well before you start picking up this shovel and digging, you might want to read a little more history about Pearl Harbor. It has been found thru the Freedom of Info Act, and documented that Roosevelte knew that Japan was going to attack almost 4 months before they actually did. The American population had as a majority become isolationists after the carnage of WWI, and an attack against America was the only way Roosevelt could garner American support for entering WWII.
The CIA is part of the problem with BAD INTEL, on Iraq, and why we are now involved in NATION BUILDING.

rockbilly I was wondering when someone was going to straighten out that uneducated remark about the US not having tanks until WWII. When one uses HISTORY as an example, one should at least know some.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2007, 07:44:06 AM »
Not sure how this thread got onto tanks in the World Wars, but I do believe that Paul has a few good ideas, and a couple that are far fetched. If the country were to go to a flat tax, much of the IRS could be eliminated. ALL, of the Dept of Education could go. Since most of the CIA work is done thru military branch's, that could be eliminated and done by them. FBI hostage rescue team has killed more people than it saved, so that could go. I do believe that Homeland Security should stay. They could be the go between what would be the CIA and local police dept. to exchange info on terror cells here in the state's.
If Ron Paul thinks that if we immediately pull our troops out of Iraq, that Iran will not attack us or Israel, better think again. These Iranian terrorists do not want to sit around the campfire and sing koum-by-ya. Their whole intent is to destroy us and Israel. Anybody that can't see that, better get the last 35 years news papers and start re-reading headlines. Starting with a 1972 paper about the Olympic athlete's that were killed in Germany.  Now I have to do some homework on Thompson. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2007, 10:15:51 AM »
  Well compare all ya want. I'm certain Ron will not get the nomination and Fred may have a slight chance. I will vote for either if they are nominated but by the Repub's. But if Guliani gets the bid I will write my name in. Here we arearguing over something that will probably not even get on the ticket. We need to stand together against this menace to the Right named Guliani.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2007, 10:44:21 AM »
Dee, so letting bad things happen to US citizens , so a politician can get his way ain't nothing new ?

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »
  Shootall;

We have an excellent example of attempting to trade American lives for political leverage going on at this moment !

The Democrats have just sponsored a bill in congress to condemn Turkey for a stupid stunt Turkey did in 1915.

Doesn't matter that this has already been done twice before.

Right now, it looks like the Marines will be pulling out of Al Anbar and heading for Afghanistan to help the Army

polish off that job.

Not wanting to see success in Iraq, the Democrats have intentionally put Turkish leaders in a rage..knowing they might send forces across the border

into Kurdish territory.

This could start the whole of northern Iraq into into a military crisis and endanger our troops as well as to shut down our many air & supply routes
        that travel over and across Turkey !

They know full well that such an offensive move might well destabilize the region and kill some Americans..

...But getting power is more important !

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2007, 01:47:51 AM »
we got along without the tank , CIA , etc !
We got along without toilet paper until it was invented anyone advocate  stopping toilet paper use ?
What we have and what we are is already established , the next president better be able to control the political machine as it appears to be some what on a drive to take more freedoms and gain more control . We need a president that slows the wild a-- rush on both sides to take more freedoms away ! to end unnecessary spending and reign in the federal govt. and allow states to gain back some control over local issues , For the life of me i can't see how the commerce clause gives the federal govt. control of education .

Offline Casull

« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2007, 06:53:16 AM »

Well before you start picking up this shovel and digging, you might want to read a little more history about Pearl Harbor. It has been found thru the Freedom of Info Act, and documented that Roosevelte knew that Japan was going to attack almost 4 months before they actually did. The American population had as a majority become isolationists after the carnage of WWI, and an attack against America was the only way Roosevelt could garner American support for entering WWII.
The CIA is part of the problem with BAD INTEL, on Iraq, and why we are now involved in NATION BUILDING.

Dee, that conspiracy theory has been around for the last sixty years.  But, as far as I know, nothing has been obtained through the Freedom of Information Act to every actually "prove" it.  If you have the documentation, please share.  Besides that, if he "knew" it four months before it happened, how much did he actually know (four months is quite a long time, given that we were in the war for only four years).  Anyway, I would hate to think what the Soviets might have done during the forty years of the cold war if the CIA hadn't been around.  But, I certainly don't want to step on the toes of you fellows that have all the answers.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2007, 07:29:28 AM »
I  don't claim to know any more than the rest of ya'll but it seems that the Clinton's had cut funds and in other ways Limited the CIA's ability to gather information . One big issue was the loss of "field agents "  on location .
When asked to supply information after 9/11 they had to make a guess and erred on the side of safety , I can't find fault with that at the door of the CIA .
This country has had spies since we started , I find the name of little importance and would not wish to go with out , if anything they should have better support !
hell the other side does not need spies they have CNN !

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2007, 10:58:40 AM »
   The biggest problem at the time was lack of communication between intelligence
     services.The FBI had some parts of the picture, the CIA other parts etc.
   Nobody had the complete picture...why ?

Well, for some reason the Clinton administration did not want law enforcement
   services and/or intelligence services to share info.

I can recall being infuriated when at the 9/11 hearings, all those politicians were
  trying to figure out just why the agencies didn't cooperate better...

...And all the time, there sat the Jamie Gorelic at her elevated table, having wrote
   the order for the Reno "justice" deptment that forbade the various agencies from having
    ANY CONTACT with each other .

The only person I can recall getting after this hypocrisy was Dan Burton..

Shame on our elected reps from both sides of the aisle !

Offline Dee

« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2007, 05:04:11 AM »
Ron Paul was interviewed this morning on Fox news, and asked him why he thought MILITARY FAMILIES, were contributing to his campaign MORE, than to ANY OTHER candidate. He stated that he believed it was his stance on the Constitution.
He was also asked why his contributions jumped this quarter to over $5,000,000.00, in just this quarter. He stated that he believed it was the growing influx of YOUNGER VOTERS, on the internet, weighing the candidates political views, and apparently liking his. Hmmmmmm

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2007, 07:49:20 AM »
Dee some of the Big Hitters get 3 to 4 mil a fundraising dinner one night instead of a quarter.I just do not think your guy is strong enough to make it. Unlike some here who Bash Thompson and try to find dirt on him that is not my intention on Ron Paul I just do not think he has the momentum to go very far. As of now he hardly shows up as a blip on the radar screen.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2007, 07:57:27 AM »
Both sides , all three ! have a long haul up a slippery slope where one off color statement can destroy their chances .
At best it will be a last man standing race ! As so far none have the funds, support or platform to really separate them from the rest !

Offline Casull

« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2007, 08:33:11 AM »
Ron Paul was interviewed this morning on Fox news, and asked him why he thought MILITARY FAMILIES, were contributing to his campaign MORE, than to ANY OTHER candidate. He stated that he believed it was his stance on the Constitution.  He was also asked why his contributions jumped this quarter to over $5,000,000.00, in just this quarter. He stated that he believed it was the growing influx of YOUNGER VOTERS, on the internet, weighing the candidates political views, and apparently liking his. Hmmmmmm

Dee, that sounds eerily reminiscent of Howard Dean during the last election cycle.  Remember what happened to him?
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Dee

« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2007, 09:49:06 AM »
Maybe him and Howard can team up, and debate whether the glass is half full, or half empty. ;D

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2007, 10:05:37 AM »
Only after they check the Constitution and get approval from congress !
by then the glass will be empty from evaporation !

Offline rigger1

« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2007, 08:24:48 AM »
"Gun Owners of America"  is not wild about Fred.  Although nobody would ever label him as a liberal sometimes his approach is not what I'd call "gun friendly."  You can read their statement here: http://www.gunowners.org/pres08/thompson2.htm

More antagonistic is this site: http://conservativesagainstfred.wordpress.com/
These folks sound like they have an axe to grind, but some of their points deserve reading.

Too early for me to make any decisions yet.