Author Topic: I am thinking I need a new line of work!!!!  (Read 3064 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
I am thinking I need a new line of work!!!!
« on: October 08, 2007, 01:24:22 PM »
I am 41 years old. I have been a carpenter since I was 17 years old. At least that is when I started doing what I have done for 24 years. I was told 10 years ago I could end up in a wheel chair. I never really believed it then but am starting to realize things are getting very much worse. First off I was born with a extra Vertebrae. Above that one I have one that is broken!!!!! Don't ask how I really don't know. I think it might have happened when I was carrying a window down a wet hill and lost my footing. I did not want the window to break so I let it land on top of me to cushion the blow to it. I really don't know if that is what broke that vertebrae but it seems I went down hill from there. I have been told the broken on will never heal and will always be broken. The vertebra es above do not line up like they should. They are misaligned by about an inch. This is where 90% of my pain comes in. There is supposed to be cushy stuff between the vertebra's. Well I have none of that anymore and it is bone to bone and pinching the nerves. The pain is constant. It is like living with a tooth ache by 100 times. I am sick and tired of constant pain. I do take prescribed pain meds but I run out to soon before I can get them refilled due to I need more than prescribed. I go through this argument every month with my wife that if I take more than 3 a day I will come up short before I can get them refilled. I work hard and lift alot of heavy things. The 10 days or so I go through before refills are really misery. During those 10 days or so I drink in the evening to relieve the pain. This works but when I get up in the morning all I have to look forward to is another day of severe pain. I work for myself for the most part now and work for another guy when he needs a roof cut. He understands my condition and I really don't have to handle those 28' rafters. He gives me a couple labors to move material. The point to all this is I think I need to go to school so I can get certified to be an inspector. I just really don't think I can do this much longer. The last time I ran out of meds I had to go to the ER. The doctor there ( after looking at the xrays ) said I have very serious problems. That surgery for this type of condition could be worse. He said a lot of people come out worse than when they went in. I have also been told that I should wait till I can't walk before surgery.     Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
Re: I am thinking I need a new line of work!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 01:30:34 PM »
Dale Id find a different doctor.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 01:33:36 PM »
I am not sure a different doctor is the way to go. I have talked to a few.  Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 01:37:44 PM »
dale a second opinion wont hurit.
bernie :)
if its feral its in peril

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 01:41:14 PM »
I have had three. Those three could be wrong I could try four. Dale ::)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 01:48:02 PM »
Did all 3 say the same thing? About the surgery possibly being worse than what you are gong through now and about waiting until you cannot walk? There must be a way to get away from at least most of the pain....<><....:(?
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline SuperstitionCoues

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 01:58:22 PM »
Dale,

You need a good spine surgeon.  I am recuperating from a fusion @ L5-S.  I don't know where you are, but here is the link to my dr.'s office.
 http://www.sonoranspine.com/Sonoran_Spine_Center.asp

I would start by looking for one in your area.  Ask a reputable physical therapist for a referral.  They will have seen first hand the quality of the surgeons work.  You do not have to live this way.   I unknowingly put up with similar issues - degenerative disc disease and spondolysthesis - for 20 years.  I am
40 years old and 5  1/2 weeks out from surgery, and I am feeling better already.  

Write me a PM if you need to talk more.  There is help, there is hope.  You must have faith.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 01:59:57 PM »
I did have 2 say surgery was not a good option. The first one just said I might end up in a wheel chair. Dale

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 02:09:43 PM »
Dale,

You need a good spine surgeon.  I am recuperating from a fusion @ L5-S.  I don't know where you are, but here is the link to my dr.'s office.

I would start by looking for one in your area.  Ask a reputable physical therapist for a referral.  They will have seen first hand the quality of the surgeons work.  You do not have to live this way.   I unknowingly put up with similar issues - degenerative disc disease and spondolysthesis - for 20 years.  I am
40 years old and 5  1/2 weeks out from surgery, and I am feeling better already.  

Write me a PM if you need to talk more.  There is help, there is hope.  You must have faith.
Well you have made me feel like there is some hope yet. I have heard this before degenerative disc disease and spondolysthesis. I have a lower lumbar sublexation.   Dale

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 02:12:14 PM »
I'd be going to school and get certified to be an  inspector.Hey at 41 and that much pain,which I doubt the heavy lifting is helping,I'd go for something easier on the body.All that heavy work is only going to make it worse.
I'd also get another opinion,I worked with a guy that had real bad pain starting when he was 20,seemed he was born without the cushy stuff between the vertebra from very bottom to half way up spine.For 10 years he said no to surgery,pain got so bad that in 1988 he had it done where they put bars on each side and used that to spread the spine,or to take pressure off of the vertebra.He said it cut pain by 95%,and is still the same today 19 years later.Said he should have had it done sooner.
Get a good speciialist to check it out,never know might be something to be done.Best of luck to ya Dale.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 02:16:13 PM »
Dale,
I had back surgery about 6 years ago for a ruptured disc. I know the kind of pain you are talking about. My family has a history
of back problems. My dad, 2 of my brothers and myself have all had surgery on our backs. I don't believe the doctors when they
told you that you could come out worse. It is already worse for you right now. These guys aren't the one that has to endure the
constant pain. I would try to find a good neurologist in your area and talk to him. Don't give up. Surgical techniques have come
a long way in recent years. That sounds like a great idea you have about going to school to get certified as an inspector. Hang in
there my friend! Better days are coming for you!

Robert

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 02:18:04 PM »
I am honest to God scared of surgery. I have never spent a night in the hospital. At this point I just want the pain to go away. My daughter is going to bring up the xray report when she gets out of the shower. If any of you out there are doctors please chime in.  Dale

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 02:20:52 PM »
Dale,
I had back surgery about 6 years ago for a ruptured disc. I know the kind of pain you are talking about. My family has a history
of back problems. My dad, 2 of my brothers and myself have all had surgery on our backs. I don't believe the doctors when they
told you that you could come out worse. It is already worse for you right now. These guys aren't the one that has to endure the
constant pain. I would try to find a good neurologist in your area and talk to him. Don't give up. Surgical techniques have come
a long way in recent years. That sounds like a great idea you have about going to school to get certified as an inspector. Hang in
there my friend! Better days are coming for you!

Robert

Have you ever had it hurt so bad you cry???????  The pain is really unbareable.  Dale

Offline Bob_VT

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 02:26:05 PM »
First get positive!

You can not let this bring you down and you must believe you will beat it.  Positive thinking is great.   Second as other people have mentioned it may be time to become an inspector or just a position in a related field.  I know a guy who had trashed his back and became a Home Inspector ..... took a bit of learning but he did it at age 50 and loves it.  Everyone who is buying a home wants a good inspection and with your time in the field you would be surprised how qualified you may be.

Lemonade from lemons......

Seriously get positive.
My other passion is Boating!! http://forums.iboats.com/index.php?referrerid=1642 Find me there with the same ID.

Offline jsoukup

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 02:30:09 PM »
If you're taking that much medication, it's time to do something. You need a good surgeon, sounds like you need a fusion and possibly some bone removal. Are you in a major city with a good supply of doctors? Definately time to get those inspector classes done.

I've been fooling around with a pinched nerve for about 16 months and I'm trying to find a doctor who knows how to fix it. I was a security officer for the U.S. Government and had plans of becoming a police officer (I'm 33.) I just gave it all up for desk work in the family business. I also have a bulging disc that is seprate from this pinched nerve. I know about 3 years ago I had problems with it, I feel your pain.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 02:30:35 PM »
First get positive!

You can not let this bring you down and you must believe you will beat it.  Positive thinking is great.   Second as other people have mentioned it may be time to become an inspector or just a position in a related field.  I know a guy who had trashed his back and became a Home Inspector ..... took a bit of learning but he did it at age 50 and loves it.  Everyone who is buying a home wants a good inspection and with your time in the field you would be surprised how qualified you may be.

Lemonade from lemons......

Seriously get positive.
Thanks and I have considered going to school for home inspecting also. That really would be up my ally. I have been doing this a lot of years.   Dale

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 02:31:28 PM »
my pain has been to that point and beyond.  my pain was driving me nuts.   hospitals and surgery are nothing to fear with the right surgeon.  they are better than drug dependency and alcoholism.  the pain will interfere with the new job too, trust me.  mine has really interefered with my research and academics (I'm working on my Ph.D.)  the only way to fix it is with a permanent soution.  everything else is a band aid.  your job is not the cause of your pain.

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 02:39:21 PM »
Have you ever had it hurt so bad you cry?HuhHuh  The pain is really unbareable.  Dale

You are damn right I have! I'm 6'1 250 lbs and I was on the floor crying like a little girl! When I ruptured my disc it pinched
my sciatic nerve. That's the nerve that runs down the back of your leg all the way to your heel. That is some serious pain
my friend! I kid you not! I can take pain pretty well, but this was unbearable. I had never been in the hospital before either.
I had never even broken a bone or went to the emergency room for anything before this. After I talked to my neurologist
he asked me when I could come in for surgery. I told him "How about right now!" I was able to go in for surgery 5 days
later. Once I woke up from surgery other than where they cut on me I was finally pain free. My back still bothers me
sometimes. When it does I have to take it easy.

Robert

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 02:40:25 PM »
Well said Superstitioncoues. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 02:57:35 PM »
Ok here is the xray report word for word. If any of you know anyone out there that can fix me please tell me. AP Lateral and oblique views obtained.   Lumbarization of S1 is noted Bilateteral  L5 Spondylolysis is suggested with grade one anterolisthesis of L5/S1 disc degenerative changes are noted. No frank dislocation and no sites of bony destructive change. No prior studies availible for comparisin at this time.
Impression
1 Bilateral L5 Spondylolysis with grade one L5/S1 spondylolisthesis
[/list]2 L5/S1 degenerative changes
3 Lumbarization of the S1

Offline Bob_VT

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 02:58:15 PM »
Another line of work that is related is Home Appraisal services...... just be cautious because those people are the "bad guys" when an entire town has a tax re-appsial but most of the work is using your eyes and brain.  It is somewhat easier on the back.  Who knows ..... if you get away from the "labor" side your pain may go away a bit and even get better.  

Just start looking up...... attitude means more to your health then people give credit to.
My other passion is Boating!! http://forums.iboats.com/index.php?referrerid=1642 Find me there with the same ID.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 03:02:33 PM »
Have you ever had it hurt so bad you cry?HuhHuh  The pain is really unbareable.  Dale

You are damn right I have! I'm 6'1 250 lbs and I was on the floor crying like a little girl! When I ruptured my disc it pinched
my sciatic nerve. That's the nerve that runs down the back of your leg all the way to your heel. That is some serious pain
my friend! I kid you not! I can take pain pretty well, but this was unbearable. I had never been in the hospital before either.
I had never even broken a bone or went to the emergency room for anything before this. After I talked to my neurologist
he asked me when I could come in for surgery. I told him "How about right now!" I was able to go in for surgery 5 days
later. Once I woke up from surgery other than where they cut on me I was finally pain free. My back still bothers me
sometimes. When it does I have to take it easy.

Robert

I am sorry for your pain also. I meant no disrespect when I asked if it ever made you cry. I just know that right now my pain is over the top.  Dale

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 03:09:08 PM »
    Ok here is the xray report word for word. If any of you know anyone out there that can fix me please tell me. AP Lateral and oblique views obtained.   Lumbarization of S1 is noted Bilateteral  L5 Spondylolysis is suggested with grade one anterolisthesis of L5/S1 disc degenerative changes are noted. No frank dislocation and no sites of bony destructive change. No prior studies availible for comparisin at this time.
    Impression
    1 Bilateral L5 Spondylolysis with grade one L5/S1 spondylolisthesis
    [/list]2 L5/S1 degenerative changes
    3 Lumbarization of the S1

That sounds like me.  You need a good surgeon.  I won't belabor the point.  Somewhere in Pa. there is one.   

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
    « Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 03:20:27 PM »
    dale it does seem you need to see a surgeon. i had to have surgery on my shoulder and i was a very avid bow hunter and it all had to end or i could lose all function in that arm. since then pulling a 20lbs bow hurts badly. it has to do with the position i move my arm and shoulder back. the doc was giving me medication like pain pills and i didn't want to take them because i have seen too many people become addicted just keep your head up no matter what happens and do what you have to do.
    The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 03:32:41 PM »
    I do not have any insurance. I just told my wife I can't take it any longer and I don't care if I loose the truck or what ever else. I am not going through this the rest of my life period. I am going to have to look for help to get through this.   Dale

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2007, 03:40:54 PM »
    Dale,

I just sent my xray report on to your doctor. Maybe he can help. Dale

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2007, 04:09:00 PM »
    dale it does seem you need to see a surgeon. i had to have surgery on my shoulder and i was a very avid bow hunter and it all had to end or i could lose all function in that arm. since then pulling a 20lbs bow hurts badly. it has to do with the position i move my arm and shoulder back. the doc was giving me medication like pain pills and i didn't want to take them because i have seen too many people become addicted just keep your head up no matter what happens and do what you have to do.
    I don't know about where you live but here in PA you could probably get a disabled permit and hunt with a crossbow. If things don't get better for me before long I may have to do the same. Think about that for a moment. I am 41 and may have to apply for a special liesense before long if I don't get fixed. Dale

• Contributor
    « Reply #27 on: October 08, 2007, 04:10:36 PM »
    I hope so.  You need to look locally, though... and I really would ask a physical though as they are in the know.  I am in Arizona.  My prayers are with you.  I wish you were out here so I could help more.

Offline glwenzl

• Avid Poster
    « Reply #28 on: October 08, 2007, 04:20:57 PM »
    FWIW I am now 47 and at your age was facing similar issues…. I left my Diesel business after 19 years and got a job where safety was really #1. Today I still live with pain everyday and some days are worse however at least now I can hold my lil kids and get out of bed by myself and w-o-r-k…

Everything I do or buy, every decision I make revolves around my health issues. I have learned to do stretches in the morning, find vehicles to fit me (6’ 4”) and the list goes on and on most of which I would rather not do but helps me live a healthier happier life…

I truly wish the best for you in seeking out what is best for *you*

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2007, 04:59:19 PM »
    Thanks a lot guy's for the well wishes and the advice. I just hope we have a good doctor hiding in our mist that can help. Dale