Author Topic: 5 shot help  (Read 3083 times)

Offline Rogue Ram

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
5 shot help
« on: October 08, 2007, 07:06:26 PM »
Definitely in the market for a very light 5 shot. A friend has the SW 340...hope I have that right....light Scandium gun. Perfect, but EXPENSIVE.  Thinking the 642 might be the way to go, light, concealable, and don't have to shell out the bucks for the Scandium.  Any thoughts?  I've heard nothing good about Taurus....an SP101 would be too heavy I think and maybe too big.  Any thoughts on the Smiths would be appreciated.

Thanks,

RR

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: 5 shot help
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 01:38:17 AM »
I would definitely recommend a lightweight Smith and Wesson but I would not recommend either their Titanium or Scandium revolvers.  You will make up for the lack of weight with more recoil and I found shooting the titanium revolvers with those teeny tiny grips they come with not anywhere near as pleasant as shooting my lightweight Bodyguard (M38).  I had to put a set of Pachmyer grips on mine just to be able to control it. 

The lightweight Bodyguard weighs 13 ounces unloaded.  The titanium revolver weighs only 12 ounces but it is light enough that reloads are not recommended as the concern is that the bullets will move forward out of their cases and jam the cylinder.  The scandium revolver is even lighter than 12 ounces, I believe.

I shoot a 200 gn swc over 3.8 gns of WW231 (factory loading), a non-+P load and I can shoot those loads from my lightweight Bodyguard almost all day long.  I think the 5 slugs weigh more than the revolver does.

The Bodyguard has the 'humpback' that partially hides the hammer so it doesn't get caught in your pants pocket or coat and has a hammer that allows for sa/da shooting.  The da only models don't have the kind of trigger pull I like for da shooting.  JMTCW and HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 02:37:44 AM »
My suggestion is the S&W 638. Mine is a 638-2 it is the airweight version that Mikey is talking about with the hump that covers the hammer for use in pockets yet allows hammer cocking when you want to enhance accuracy and speed isn't as much an issue. It's light weight and as cheap as S&W snub nose revolvers come these days. I can't recall exactly what I paid but as I recall it was something under $400 out the door NIB.

Being made of aluminum and stainless steel it's as maintenance free as they come, light and handy. I've owned a 442 which is basically same weight but wasn't hammer cockable so less versatile in my opinion. Right now the 638 is a real value in snub nose revolvers.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 03:42:06 AM »
I have a Taurus M-85 +p revolver and love it.  It's not a target gun, but as self defense it fits the bill well. A S&W is a well built gun but a little pricey for some of us.  the taurus was under $375 out the door with a shoulder holster, this was a couple years back; don't know if prices have changed. 

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 05:43:58 AM »
I have an older S&W 37 Airweight (aluminum frame).  It has given me years of trouble free service and has been fired a lot.  I use Federal .38 spl +Ps for carry.  It is accurate and lightweight, and I enjoy it a lot.  I would imagine they will cost more now, but seems I only paid about $150 used.  It is the black one (bobbed hammer, teflon finish) in the picture.  The other two are a Charter .44 Bulldog and a nickled S&W 3" 36.  (that one has a beautiful, smooth action)  A Charter would be another to consider.  The older (skinny barrel) model were about the same weight as a Smith lightwt but have a steel frame.  I have heard that some people may not have been happy with their Charter (it is no S&W for smoothness or finish) but all I have had (6 of them) have been accurate and reliable.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 06:07:48 PM »
I just turned down a 640 in .357 for $400.  I definitely am leaning towards finding a nice 637/638 type revolver. Boy the used market prices jumped back up. When all the cops were going to autos I could get all the revolvers I wanted around here, Smith, Ruger, etc for $200...geez now we're talking $365 new prior to shipping.

Anyone finds a good used SW Airweight pm me please.

Thanks!

RR

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 02:04:03 PM »
I have a 642 and a Taurus Mod. 85 Ultralite. I have found them both to be good guns. I have had the 642 less than 6 months and the clear finish is already wearing off on the sharp corners. I think I would buy the black 442 next time. I have had the Taurus for a couple of years, black finish, and it looks like new. Both of mine shoot about the same.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline SectorSteve

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »
A couple of years ago I picked up a S&W model 49, 5 shot, 38 spec , manufacture date in the mid '60's. Belonged to a dentist in New Orleans who was also a reserve PD Officer. It didn't look like it had 100 rounds through it. When he passed on, his wife sold off his firearms and I got it for $250.00. It's all steel and a little heavier than the airweights, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Steve

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 10:25:16 PM »
I've looked long and hard at that S & W 642, haven't bought one so far but it may happen yet, it would make a great summer gun.  I do nearly all of my shooting DA, so the cockable hammer doesn't really affect me.  I think it's a nice option to have, I just like the looks and feel of the 642 better.  Everyone's sense of balance and beauty and comfort is a little different, but that's okay, there are plenty of good choices out there.  Most are pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 04:47:37 AM »
For now this is what I carry daily S&W mod 637-2, and really love about its light weight carry.  I just wish my wife would consider one of these, it simply has excellent accuracy and 13.5 ounce weight.

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 05:44:18 PM »
I'm going to bite it hard and buy the shrouded hammer version of yours...new...which I guess is the 642. I cannot find a used one to save my life. New I can bag one thru a local FFL for about $365 or so. More and more I am convinced this is the way to go for me. This would be one to never get rid of.

RR

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 10:34:35 AM »
I wanted a light 5 shot 38, for a secondary weapon.I found this one,I have had Charter Arms weapon since 1975, and have good luck with them. I called Charter Arms and they indicated that the revolver is rated for +P so I am going with 110 gr Cor Bons. It is a double action only, with Charter Arms version of boot grips.  Doug   
a armed man is his own master

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 01:26:41 AM »
Rogue Ram:  The shrouded hammer versions are the M38 or M638.  Mikey.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 01:45:11 AM »
GB has best idea !
have had one so long it has the hammer mounted firring pin ! mine has the nickle  worn off in places now ! thats right got it before the 638 came out !
best add on is secrete service grips ,
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 09:31:10 PM »
I have a 638 and love it. It points very well, and with .38 ammo, even the +P, it is easy to shoot.

My wife, however, just had to have a Kel-Tec P3AT. Constantly jamming. I'll stick with my trusty S&W.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline m-g Willy

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 10:53:48 AM »
Taurus CIA in 357 with internal hammer at BUDS GUNSHOP  for $293.00 NEW.
I have one and am very happy with it.
The rubber grips make a easy to control gun to shoot even with full magnum loads.

Willy

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 06:37:28 PM »
For carry, for lightness, for comfort my S&W Scandium PD is pure joy.
It is fairly uncomfortable too shoot--at the range.
I would think that for a purpose of self-defense this would not be noticeable.
I like mine and it has been too long out of the rotation---thanks for the reminder.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 08:32:57 AM »
Griz, same problem with my wife.  I have bought her 3 different semi-auto and they all jam for her.  She just limp wrists them too much.  So now she has a S&W model 60 for herself.  It's the one on the left.  Actually I bought that gun for myself.  But when I showed it to her, she said 'Oh, for me?' and I have never been able to get it back.  44 Man

You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2007, 09:44:41 AM »
I'd gladly let her have the 638 Airweight, but she's just gotta have the blasted Kel-Tec. (Which would be just fine - - if it would work.)
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 08:20:39 AM »
Still looking around....man alive, people just aren't letting go of used 5 shots like they once were.

Sooner or later I'll snag one or bite the bullet and buy new.

RR

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 02:16:46 AM »
before we could carry , some got them then traded when they found out they aren't target guns !

Offline 454Puma

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 11:11:22 AM »
Rogue Ram
  The SP101 -to heavy? Really! To Big -not! Have you shot one?  You maybe surprised. I carry mine all day a don't even notice it!  IWB or  OC it carry's just fine and for the money it's way better then those light wt's!
One shot , One Kill

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 03:25:38 AM »
Just to show there is nothing NEW under the sun, a pre-1900 all steel Iver Johnson break top .38 weighs less than 12 ounces and the hamerless version even has the Glock style safety thing in the trigger. No, I'd not care to trust my life to one, the quality just is not there, but I'd not trust a Taurus or Charter either so that is also nothing new. ;D
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 05:10:36 AM »
i wouldn't trust um cause the shot 38  S&W not special ! but that's just me !

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 05:48:14 AM »
True, the .38 S&W is maybe a tad better than a .380 auto, especially if you favor heavier bullets, but it is a slim tad. Federal Cartridge Co once produced a round called the 9mm Federal, just a rimmed version of the 9mm Luger for use in revolvers. Charter Arms built a few guns for it but then went bankrupt so Federal dropped the cartridge. Cases were almost identical to the .38 S&W but loaded to much higher pressure. I'm sure they would chamber in any old .38 S&W revolver and I'm also sure it would have been a grenade!
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2007, 08:32:34 AM »
bet I wouldn't pull the pin , I mean trigger on that one !

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2007, 09:24:17 AM »
Nor would I!! I once had an old Webley top break in .38 S&W or as the Brits called it .380. That is probably a stronger design than the run of the mill American top breaks but I mostly tried to see how light I could load it and still get the bullet to a 25 yard target. The Brits considered it adequate for military use, but the Brits have always had funny notions about handguns. I sold that Weblely to a guy I worked with and after shooting up the box of reloads I had given him, he sold it to a relative in Arkansas who was really POed that it wouldn't fire. That fellow had bought a box of .380 ACP ammo and of course it wouldn't fire so he filed the hammer to get enough firing pin protrusion to fire the ACP ammo!  Well it was marked .380, and he was from Arkansas!!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2007, 09:32:07 AM »
last name Clinton by any chance ?

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2007, 04:21:37 AM »
Let's give the Clintons their due, they certainly are corrupt, unprincipled, perhaps downright evil, but they sure ain't stupid. That's what makes them dangerous.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2007, 04:47:44 AM »
crazy like a fox !