Author Topic: the 28ga. is it good enough?  (Read 602 times)

Offline yar62

• Trade Count: (0)
the 28ga. is it good enough?
« on: October 09, 2007, 10:53:41 AM »
I've read different stories about the 28ga. gun. Some say only for claybirds, and others say makes for a great little grouse gun. What do you say? Has any of you advid shotgunners had some good shooting experience's with the 28? Your replys are appreciated. Thanks yar62 <><

Offline gould

• Avid Poster
Re: the 28ga. is it good enough?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 01:41:12 PM »
I havent had my 28ga. very long but I really like it. It takes squirrels and grouse with know problems I have used both the Remington #6 3/4oz. and the Winchester #6 1oz. loads with good results. I have the pardner with modified choke. 

Offline yar62

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 02:51:58 PM »
Thanks for your reply gould, its great getting information from others that have the experience with these firearms. I'm glad that NEF makes this pardner in 28ga. Have you actually patterned your 28? I like the remington ammo, use it in all my firearms.

Offline tony212

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 12:26:36 PM »
The 28 ga is an excellent grouse or woodcock gun and not too bad of a close range pheasant gun either.  The older ammo was 3/4 oz, but the newer stuff can be had with the same shot weight as a 20ga.
Tony212

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 01:32:47 PM »
I was going to try to give you a report on it's effectiveness on squirrels but today is the last day of early muzzle loader season here.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline yar62

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 03:05:06 PM »
Thank you all for your replys! I sure do appreciate it. I think that anyone here that enjoys these H&R/ NEF guns has something good to say. Seems from what I've read so far that the 28ga. would be a good gun to have. I'll have give some mention of this to the treasurer of my house near Christmas! <><

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 03:39:18 AM »
I know what you mean. pre Christmas discussions with the treasurer at my house now include a computer print out and the guy's name at the gun shop to talk to. With the cost of these guns you cant really go wrong. for your stated uses it will work great.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun