Author Topic: What's the farthest realistic distance you shoot while hunting?  (Read 3802 times)

Offline NYH1

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What's the farthest realistic distance you shoot while hunting?
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2007, 01:13:26 PM »
With my slug guns 100-125 yards.  Even with the latest and greatest rifled barrels and sabot slugs using scopes.  I'm just not confident with a shotgun to shoot farther then that.   

With my Marlin 336 35 Rem. 100-125 yards.  If I'm going to hunt where I might have a longer shot, I use a different rifle.  It will shoot under two inches at 100 yards. 

With my Winchester model 88 308 Win. offhand- 100 yards or so, with a rest 250 yards or so.   

With my Remington 700 280 Rem. offhand- 100 yards or so, with a rest 300 yards or so.

My 308 will group right around an inch at 100 yards and my 280 will group under an inch at 100 yards. 

"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2008, 05:16:33 PM »
Well, I stated this in another GB forum that I had killed a mule deer at 623 yards.  I was called a liar by several people but that's fine with me cause the people with me know the truth.  With two others watching and ranged with a range finder I took it my 7 mag.  I took two this year one over 400 yards and another at just over 500.

If you shoot often and know when to and NOT to shoot it can be done.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline NONYA

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2008, 12:30:21 PM »
I have no problem believing a 600+ yard shot with the 7 mag,i have done it myself,I made  a MD kill right around 600 with an -06 when I was 16,my father told me where to hold and he dropped like a rock and ever since then i have love shooting long distance.I believe the 600 yard shot is doable by anyone with an adequate round and some serious practice,its not that hard to do when you put in the time it takes.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 03:00:13 AM »
Is that not the coolest thing in the world!

Nonya, you need to read the book "Death from Afar" about a sniper.  Man, you gotta love that stuff!!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 04:28:12 AM »
I use to take 300 yard shots with a 300 win mag. One day I decided to go back to my mod 94 win 30 30 my dad gave me 50 years ago with iron sights. I get more satisfaction stalking the deer to within 50 yards than sitting on some mountain shooting at 300 yards

Offline NONYA

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2008, 11:28:09 AM »
I hunt half the season with a bow and take 40 yards shots,I prefer a challenging shot with a rifle,I would say a 100 yard shot with open sights is more of a challenge than a 500 yard shot with a 300,a scope and data.We hunt open country,once the shooting starts most of our deer wont let you get in close,they spook and they don't stop till they are over the next horizon,the long shot is what it takes if you want to shoot at a standing or bedded target.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2008, 01:25:16 PM »
In a hunting situation, I'd say it would depend mightily on my rest.  A 100 yard shot from standing is a much harder shot than a 300 yard shot off of sticks.  The farthest I have shot at and hit a living creature was 358 long paces at a fox squirrel in a dead calm with a .17 Remington.  This shot was off of sticks with a superbly accurate rifle, and took 20 minutes of waiting for the little SOB to stand still long enough.