Author Topic: new''20 guage ''tamer''  (Read 1711 times)

Offline ratherbefishin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
new''20 guage ''tamer''
« on: October 11, 2007, 12:19:08 PM »
anybody try this one out yet?-it looks like an ideal ''grouse gun''for potting grouse on logging roads.I like the idea of a 20 guage-you can always carry a slug in your pocket in case you came across a deer-plus the ammo is cheaper than .410

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
Re: new''20 guage ''tamer''
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 03:16:32 AM »
ratherbefishin,

I like my Shorty, Mind is based off the youth model with the srcew-in chokes. It's light to carry and very effective in hunting. My is the 20 ga. and I use it to hunt everthing from deer to upland game. No waterfowl.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f292/Bullfrog639/DSCF0690.jpg

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardnerScrewIn.aspx

Good Luck!
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 03:29:41 AM »
Froghunter that is a pretty little gun. When you gonna be back in DE for a squirrel hunt?
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 03:59:32 AM »
Markus,

I will be in the area the 19 Dec. 2007 to 4 Jan 2008. I will like to get a rabbit hunt together doing this time. I will have my three beagles with me and they will be ready to hunt. I retire from Uncle Sam and will be leaving FLW on the 9th of July, 2008 heading to Delaware for good.

Looking forward to a rabbit hunt with just the H&R and NEF guys.

Waiting you reply!

Froghunter

Froghunter

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 11:30:46 AM »
well,I ordered a  20 guage ''Tamer'' this morning-the intended use is a truck gun for grouse hunting.I like the utilitaian  ''all weather'' finish as well as the feature of the 3 shell buttstock carrier-I'll probably use that to hold slugs in case I see a deer ,while carrying some #6 in my pocket for grouse

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 01:48:51 PM »
Rather,

She will do you justice! I enjoy my very much. Last spring alot of the fellow were going to the shorty guns for the turkey hunting. The make a great treestand carbine too.

Good luck on them grouse and whitetails!  ;)

Froghunter

Offline Illhunter

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 03:14:50 PM »
I like the sound of this gun for hunting. how much do these go for and will that stock and forearm fit the other nef shotguns like the tracker II or the pardner.

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 03:57:59 AM »
I paid $169 for it here in Canada[Wholesale sports].If I had my druthers,I'd sure like to see interchangeable barrels-surely with modern manufacturing equipment ensuring a precise fit can;t be that hard-if TC can do it-why can't NEF? They had a 3 barrel combo-but for some reason dropped it.Unfortionately ,due to barrels being restricted-we can't ship them across the border

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 05:05:16 AM »
  If TC can why can't NEF ? I would gues that the difference in price accounts for something.
  Then too, there are many NEFs out there that need fitting with each new barrel, perhaps
  H&R may be hesitant to try shipping barrels out and having some guns that need fitting badly
  start causing trouble because they were not pre-fitted.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 04:41:41 AM »
IF Ford could make mass production interchangeable parts 90 years ago-surely modern precision milling equipment could accomplish the same thing fiting barrels to actions on the production line......

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 10:31:18 AM »
My ''Tamer'' arrived today-and it certainly looks to be everything I wanted- a nice weatherproof,compact 20 guage shotgun.Now I just have to fiigure out what sighting system to install-my 60 year old eyes just don't focuss on that  plain front bead .I could do something as simple as just replacing the front bead with a firesight bead-or drill and tap the barrel for firesight rifle  type sights-or even  go for as red dot.Simplicity and function will be my criteria

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 04:27:29 AM »
  Ratherbe;

Before you go too far, check out a receiver (peep) sight system..my 70+ eyes can sometimes accommodate those systems. Then too, try checking out one of those red/green glow sights as are on many muzzle loaders now days..some of them are not too bad..
  You can probably just go to a gunshop and sight over one of their muzzle loaders to see if the "neon" sights may work.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 10:27:30 AM »
yah,thats exactly what I am doing-a ghost ring on the receiver and a fire sight on the front.It the setup I have on  my savage #219-I can see it -the regular front sight was a blur

Offline Illhunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 04:07:08 PM »
i would like a report on how the gun shoots with slugs and which  slugs it liked i a thinking of getting one of these for my hunting gun for deer. any info would be appreciated.

Terry

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 03:33:26 AM »
I'm not sure if the 20 guage TAMER would be the weapon of choice if I were going to use it strictly for deer hunting with slugs-there's other models designed for that.For starters-the hard buttstock would be brutal if I were using it mainly for slugs[I'm toying with the idea of gluing on the sole of a thong shoe as a recoil pad].I chose the TAMER in 20 guage rather than .410 as a dual purpose utility gun,mainly to be used for potting grouse but with the option of using a slug if I came across a deer.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 05:58:47 AM »
If you think the recoil is bad on that one, you should shoot my 12 gauge "shorty" with 3" magnum buckshot!!

I have a 20.5" barrel, wood stocks with a shortened forearm and the HARD plastic buttplate!!

OUCH.

Spanky

PS-  can you recommend a good recoil pad??  My shoulder will thank you!

Offline Illhunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007, 07:53:40 AM »
it will be used for most everything but deer is just one thing would be a squirrel, rabbit, any bird hunting that i do but like this gun do to size for walk around and tree stand and would find a good recoil pad for it to that is for sure but it will be multi purpose gun for me i don't like owning alot of shotguns but after this one i will get one more for home protection and that will be it. 

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007, 10:51:18 AM »
If I were looking for ''home protection''I think I would look at a Maverick''defender''.However, back to my  Tamer[it has a 20''barrel too] and the subject of recoil pads-someone suggested usiing the sole from a beach thong-they are about 3/4''thick ,and I'm toying with the idea of using clear silicone to glue it one-if it would hold it on securely , it would fill in the voids from the ribs.

Offline Illhunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2007, 11:59:41 AM »
actually my home protection will be a Mossberg Persauder with pistol grip and was thinking about a recoil pad but would have to get it in my hands and look at it to see what i would do a beach thong doesn't appeal to me but is a thought. let me think about it and post later on.

Terry

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2007, 12:16:27 PM »
I read about cutting and fitting  a beach thing for a recoil pad-thought it was a joke-until I looked at one in the store-it had a tough closed foam sole and a slip resistant tread  and I thought it just might work-if I could glue it on securely.Either epoxy or silicone might work.If the silicone would work-it would be preferable as it would fill in the contours,although maybe using epoxy AND silicone around the edge might be better.I've got a cooey I'm refinishing that needs a butt pad ,so maybe I'll be able to use the pair of them afterall-and for $2 the price is right

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2007, 12:30:59 PM »
Some members use a Limbsaver slip-on recoil pad on their Survivor stocks, the right size may work on the Tamer stock, they're $20 at Walmart.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2007, 04:03:07 PM »
The TAMER has an indented butt stock on one side to accommodate a shellholder-so a slip on recoil pad probably wouldn't work-otherwise I would pick one up

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2007, 04:17:17 PM »
With a little creativity, a person should be able to make a filler for inside the recoil pad to fill out the stock. looks doable to me.  ;)

Tim

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2007, 03:40:57 AM »
well, I can tell you-I was looking a long time for a utility gun and I think I've found it in the 20 guage TAMER.Of course-I just don't understand why they don't incorporate a recoil pad in the synthetic stock,but I think as you say with a little creativity,I can fix that

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2007, 10:54:59 AM »
I bet a large size slip on limbsaver would do the trick.. I stretched a medium over a survivor stock that worked ok but was real ugly. You could always get a regular synthetic stock from choate with recoil pad on it. that's the route I went.

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2007, 03:23:50 PM »
While the ''survivor''and the''tamer''have a similar buttstock configuration-the Survivor has a closed compartment accessed through the butt-while the ''Tamer'' is indented  on the right side ,accommodating a shell holder

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2007, 04:13:15 PM »
I' m familiar with both stocks.This is the product I'm talking about. http://www.qualitysportsco.com/10548?category=820  I'm pretty sure it would work.

Offline Illhunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2007, 04:19:58 PM »
what are the dimensions of the tamer buttstock  to compare and see if the large limbsavers pad would work.

Terry

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2007, 04:52:19 PM »
Walmart sells the Limbsaver slip-on for $20, they're pretty stretchy, so I do believe the large would fit for sure if the medium doesn't.

Tim

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2007, 10:39:43 AM »
went  to Wall Mart -no limbsavers,or any other recoil pads.I did pick up a box of 100 #7 1/2 though-that should keep me in grouse shells for a while[and hopefully 100 grouse]