Author Topic: Handiholic's N. California.. Question  (Read 456 times)

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Handiholic's N. California.. Question
« on: October 11, 2007, 01:03:57 PM »
A question for any Handiholics who reside in Northern California.
I've looked at the NEF/HR web site for dealers in my area. Out of the dealers listed, one has been closed by the ATF
and all the others I've called do not stock them. They will special order them but I would think to be an dealer on there list that they would carry a few? I'd like to hold and see what I'm getting before buying.
Does anyone know who has these in stock?
I'm wondering if I did purchase used or through an auction, could I have it sent to a local dealer to do the transfer (and joke of a wait period we have here)? I'm also curious to see how many on the board are for this part of the country. I've posted here because I thought more proper and related to a classified question than in the Handi rifle section. Thanks -gary
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Handiholic's N. California.. Question
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 01:16:02 PM »
You are required by Federal and state law to take delivery of a firearm at a local ffl dealer whether sent from California or out of state, all firearms transaction in your fine state require an FFL unfortunately, you can find a list of those on one of the online sites that provide FFL locators, but be aware they aren't cheap in California, about $65 or so as Handirife has posted several  times and I'm sure will offer his advice, being a fellow Californian. ;)

Tim

FFL Locator

State Firearms Laws
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Bob A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 02:55:24 PM »
Pigboy,

Where are you located? Northern CA is a pretty big place.
I am in Madera County, out in the foothills. There is a dealer in Oakhurst that usually has
a few handis in stock. Most of his sales are special order but he finds that having a few on hand
help people decide what they want.
Also, there is a place in Fresno, I think its Herb Bauer sports that always has a selection.
I've heard that the new Sportsmans Warehouse up in the Auburn (it think) area has a good
selection. Never been there but I'm pretty sure its up on hwy 80 in the foothills area.

Just about anyone will order one for you. Most gun shops will give you about 7-10% off retail list
on a special order. I know thats the deal at Reeds in San Jose.

BTW, your name always reminds me of the time I saw the Paul Butterfield Blues Band when I was in college
at UC Davis. That was a very long time ago.

Bob A

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 04:31:54 PM »
Bob, Thanks for the reply. I live in Walnut Creek which is 30miles east of SF.  I'll look into the Auburn shop as I travel up the hills (Hwy 80) often to visit a cousin and friend in Reno. I usually make it to the twice yearly Shot Guns News show in Reno. Yes you guessed it "Pig Boy Crawshaw" was Elvin Bishop from the Butterfield blues band :) He still around and plays local and at the Blues Brews and BBQ's in Reno every year. He still has the fire in him! My brother went to UC Davis  ;D
I may have to look into Reed's, as I will be in San Jose this Saturday for the Sharks home opener. I'll give you an update on my progress as I a procure my first Handi. -gary

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 05:32:26 PM »
PBC,
I live in So Cal. 99 percent of the time when I go to a shop looking for a specific firearm they don't have what I'm looking for in stock. To be fair to the dealers,they would have to stock tons of firearms, many of them that wouldn't sell that they would have to pay inventory tax on, in order to satisfy everyone who came in looking for a particular gun that they could see firsthand. A sign of the times I'm afraid. I don't let it bother me.
I research the firearm that I'm looking for, then ask them to order me one.

Robert

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 05:40:04 PM »
One of the local shops has a handi in stock every now and then, but not always what you want.  But such is life, huh?  As for the transfer, Quick is correct, ALL transactions MUST go to an FFL.  They can come FROM a private party but must go to the FFL, and once it arrives, THEN you fill out the paperwork and the ten day wait begins.

The ten day wait is just an annoyance to me so far, but the $50 (for used rifles only, new ones I order are not charged this fee) and up transfer fee is nuts.  That is just the dealers cut, then you pay the $25 Fed fees on top.  If it's a used rifle it has to be REALLY cheap to make it worthwhile.  Most dealers here (SoCal) won't take delivery of a new firearm, they didn't sell to me.

Maybe some of the NoCal handiholics can meet with you to let you see their Handi's.

Good luck.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Bob A

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 05:47:19 PM »
Pigboy,

I work in San Jose quite a bit and will be there next week.
If there's any chance you can sneak out on Wed or Thursday, I can meet you at the local range and let you handle and shoot my Handi Hornet. If next week doesn't work, maybe we can find a date later this fall.
They have a nice county park rifle range in San Jose. It probably an hour or less from Walnut Creek.
I bet most guys back East wouldn't expect Santa Clara Co, here on the left coast to have a shooting range run by the government.

Bob A

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 05:55:48 PM »
That may work out Bob, Thanks for the offer. I will confirm next week with you and send you a PM. Are you a LEO? I've been reading the posts here for awhile now and seemed to have come down with a bug.  :) Adding $45 - $75 to transfer a used weapon is just wrong in my opinion. Now I know why used is hard to sell/buy here unless you have a curio and relic licence.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 06:00:51 PM »
Gary, can make a road trip to the Sportsmans Warehouse in Rocklin?  If they're like the two stores here, they usually have a full rack or two of H&Rs, give em a call first tho!! ;) Then at least you can ogle and handle some of em. ;D

Tim

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/store.cfm?storeNum=149
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Bob A

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 06:20:06 PM »
Pigboy,

OK, just let me know.
I am not a LEO, nothing so noble, just a silicon valley project manager who tries to stay out of the office and up in the hills as much as possible. Most of my clients are in Europe and Asia, so I can deal with them just as well from home as the office - at least that's the theory. I will be in the office next week. I will have the handi and one or two other rifles and plan for a trip to the range. Hope you can join me.

Tim says the Sportsmans Warehouse is in Rocklin. Thats even closer than Auburn, just outside Roseville. At least I had the right highway.

Bob A

Offline guimus

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 06:21:50 PM »
I live in Oakland, Work in San Francisco, shoot in Castro Valley (Chabot). I, too, have some handis you could try sometime if you ever make it up to Chabot and I am free the same day.*

When I'm not buying firearms through a ppt at a gun shop or with my C&R ffl, I buy from Buds Gun Shop (near my original hometown in Kentucky) and have it shipped to my FFL in the area. My FFL (who works out of his home and primarily does such internet transfers) charges 45 for the first long gun, and I believe 10 for each additional, but I'd have to check to make sure. Not all FFL's will accept internet transfers, but a select few do primarily that.

Bud's has a pretty good website and a decent selection of Handis at good prices. Generally I'll buy more than one long gun at once, though, so that I can spread the paperwork fee over multiple firearms and not feel the pinch so much.

*though for the next 8 weeks or so my rifles are at HR getting some new barrels fitted. That's okay, since I don't anticipate a range trip other than the 10/21 tactical rifle competition any time in the next two months.

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 07:23:45 PM »
Quick, Thanks for the tip.
Bob, I'll keep you posted.
Guimus, I work in SF also and will entertain your offer if the timing works out.
I've got servers & ATM's to keep up and running and may not be able to sneak out during the week.
My time is limited. The only free day after work I have is on Wednesday. I'm my son's primary parent, and at ten I got too stay on top of his homework. I'm going to surprise him with an Handi for CHRISTmas this year and will more than likley purchase two. One for Kris and I.

Offline Bob

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 10:07:31 PM »
Sportsmans Warehouse in Rocklin stocks some Handis. I don't know what calibers, but I have seen them in the store.
Bob