Author Topic: Superlight .223 range/loading questions  (Read 577 times)

Offline PeterCartwright

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Superlight .223 range/loading questions
« on: October 11, 2007, 07:04:31 PM »
O.K.  The scope arrived today (looks perfectly proportioned to the Youth Rifle).  Spent about 40 minutes at the range with rather mediocre results.  Remington economy 50 gr. hollow points printed 1 and 11/16 (3 shots @ only 50 yards).  I shot two, three shot groups with Black Hills 60 gr. Nosler Partitions (same distance):  first group, 1 and 1/2"...second group, 2 and 5/16".  Shots for the first two groups were probably spaced about 4 minutes apart.  The last group was probably only 1 minute apart.

This evening I lightly lapped the bore and then thoroughly cleaned it to a clean, dry finish. 

As I was sitting in 30ish weather tonight watching my son's JV football game, I got to thinking about the throat on this rifle.  After I got home, I tried loading some Nosler 60 gr. bullets behind 25 gr. H4895.  I've seated the bullets only about a caliber deep (just to the bottom of the neck).  OAL measures 2.340"-way longer than normal specs.  I "magic markered" the first bullet ogive, carefully chambered a round, and was not able to see any graving marks on the bullet.

Am I proceeding in a rational manner?  Insights from the wise ones would be appreciated.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Superlight .223 range/loading questions
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 07:12:13 PM »
Most handloaders for 223 Handis load to recommended COL, trying to reach the lands or even close is futile with bullets that shoot good in the 1:12" SL barrels, 223 barrels are normally very long throated, just the way they are, they're still capable of very good accuracy with the right load. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline PeterCartwright

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 10:55:09 AM »
I'm seeing some improvement using H4895 as the propellant.  The best group so far comes from 25gr. of that powder behind the Speer 55gr. soft point (about 3/4" @ 50 yards).  So far, the Nosler Partitions are grouping about twice that size (though the first two shots are only about a half inch apart).  We're making progress.  (Oh, I also reduced COAL, as suggested).

Gotta pick up a box of the 53gr. TSX's.

The trigger weight "right out of the box" is just about perfect-especially for a rifle intended for youngsters.

Thanks for the help!

Offline whiskey101

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 02:49:36 PM »
Well I have results like you with my .223 Superlight. I went to the range today and put 80 rounds through it. By the end of the shoot, the barrel was hot, bu the gun was grouping better. I just wanted to get 100 rounds through the barrel and then start looking for a round it likes.

I am going to polish the bore with flitz tonight. We'll see how much better it is next range trip. I am planning on firing 1 shot every 5 mins. Hopefully that will be far enough between shots to get a decent group.
"So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out into the street."

Offline PeterCartwright

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 06:56:29 PM »
Thanks, Whiskey.  Keep us in the loop about your experiences.  I'll do the same. 

I've ordered some 53 gr. TSX's and some brass.  I'll post my experiences with this bullet when I get the chance.

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 12:57:52 AM »
By the sounds of things I would try some lighter bullets next,  like 46 grain factory Winchester for now.

Offline ctaylor

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 07:52:27 AM »
i can email you some pics and load info if you want
i cant figure how to get them posted or maybe
someone else can post them