Author Topic: Help me decide, Handi or not.  (Read 910 times)

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
Help me decide, Handi or not.
« on: October 13, 2007, 12:13:05 AM »
Howdy folks, I've got a Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun set up with a rear peep sight and a fiber optic front. I have worked up a load using the Remington 405 grain bullet at 1750 fps. I really like this setup and don't want to change anything about it.
My birthday was a couple of days ago and my great brother in-law gave me a really nice canvas cartridge belt almost full of factory loaded 45-70, 300 grain HP ammo. Plus he also gave me 2 full boxes of Winchester 300 gr. HP ammunition. In all I have over 60 rounds of 300 gr factory loads.
My brother in-law had a Marlin and sold it so he gave me his ammo and the belt for my B-Day present.
I used to shoot 300 gr. bullets in my Marlin, and I still have over 200 bullets for reloading. Now I have all this factory ammo, plus over 200 bullets to reload and I don't have anything to shoot them in because I don't want to change my setup on my Guide Gun.
This is why I'm thinking about getting a Handi Rifle. As expensive as ammo and reloading components are, I feel like I can justify a Handi.
I know I'm crazy but does this sound like a good excuse to get a Handi rifle?
I've never owned a Handi before, are there differences in older models compared to a new one. If so, which do you prefer? (Like Marlins, I prefer the Pre-Cross Bolt Safety models)
If I get one of these rifles I want to set it up with a peep sight and Fiber optic front, are there differences in the stock designs of the various models that I need to watch out for.
I kinda like the thoughts of the synthetic stock because I'm thinking of this gun as being my 4-wheeler gun.
Please educated me on these rifles and all replies are greatly appreciated!

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Help me decide, Handi or not.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 12:48:18 AM »
When you buy a Handi, be it a regular stocked (either synthetic or beech) with a 22" barrel or the Buffalo Classic, they both come with iron sights. The combs on the stock are set up for iron sights on both models. The regular one with a 22" barrel uses regular type iron sights. The Buff Classic has sights more to your liking. Williams receiver sight; Lyman target front sight with 8 aperture inserts. I am not sure if any of the inserts are day glow or not. Either one can be set up with just about any type of sight. The Buff Classic comes with a 32" barrel, checkered straight walnut butt stock and checkered walnut fore end. Of course it costs more, but is really nice for someone that is looking to use iron sights exclusively.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 12:57:39 AM »
When I bought my Guide Gun. I sold my .45-70 Handi because I couldn't imagine using it instead of the Guide Gun.  I do kinda miss it.  Are you sure the 300 grain factory loads won't shoot ok in the Guide Gun?
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 07:37:05 AM »

I know I'm crazy but does this sound like a good excuse to get a Handi rifle?

why yes it does !!!! go for it man
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 07:58:46 AM »
Yup!! I got an exceptional buy on a new RCBS .500S&W die set and a couple boxes of 350gr XTPs, so there was no excuse not to buy a barrel, a complete Handi wouldn't be out of the question either!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 02:19:48 PM »
Slufoot

By all means pick up a Handi , get the 22" barrel with the shotgun style stocks and iron sights . Of all my handi's it is my go to gun , even if i'm just going to punch holes in cans its the one i grab first . Had a BC with the 32" barrel and did not care for the way it was NOSE HEAVY .

The 22" will handle almost like your GUIDE GUN as far as swing and how it points . What i'm trying to say is YES YES YES -you need one .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Slufoot

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 02:46:26 PM »
Hello everyone, Thanks for the replies so far!

LaOtto222, Thank you for the information on the different models available in 45-70. The Buffalo Classic sounds really nice but I'm not sure if I want that long of a barrel.

Swampman, My Guide Gun shoots the 300 grain bullets great but the elevation is so far off from the 405's that I have to change the front sight height to get them lined up. I have also bought up enough 405 grain Remington bullets to last me quite a while for this gun.
How did your Handi compare to your Guide Gun in accuracy and in felt recoil?

mitchell & quickdtoo, Thanks for the persuasion!
Dang quickdtoo you had to buy dies and bullets and I've already got the dies, bullets, brass and several rounds of factory ammo. This should be a no brainer, right?

stimpylu32, Are the wood and synthetic both considered the shotgun style stocks?
Thanks for the report on the Buffalo Classic that you had.

Thanks again for all the coments received so far!

Do these guns come with an extractor or an ejector?

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 03:01:07 PM »
Slufoot

These are the style that i was talking about , they come in Palletwood and Lams , not sure about Tupperwear .  ???

This is my 22" 45/70

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline chad1043

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »
I am quickly becoming a Marlin and Handi Snob... The only exception is my Browning A5 (which is Awesome). If you don't already have a Handi, I would say get one. I'm very happy with both my Ultras. Now that I have my Ultra Hunter, I can change to any barrel my heart desires...

Go for it! You have nothing to lose.

Chad

Offline Rj 1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 02:11:49 AM »
Hurry up and get one so I can give it a try !!  ;D

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 08:04:09 AM »
 My 45/70 is the only Handi that I have kept.  It is not quite as accurate as my 1895 Marlin but is still a hoot to shoot 300 gr.cast trapdoor loads through.  While I will start the deer season with the Marlin this year I have no problem keeping shots within a deer's vitals with the Handi.  If you really have too many cartridges and this is a dilemma I would be happy to shoot some of them for you and thus lessen your problem.;)

RJ

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 01:36:27 PM »
Slufoot,the question isn't if you should get a handi or not,you have to look at it the right way,Quicks way which is how many should I get!! :D :D
 I say go for it,I've bought rifles with much less excuse,like someone gave me dies so had to have a rifle to use them. :o
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Slufoot

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 03:04:42 PM »
Well folks you all have talked me into it. I ordered a 45-70 synthetic stock Handi-Rifle today. The dealer told me it should be here Friday as long as the distributor had one in stock.

Hurry up and get one so I can give it a try !!  ;D

Rj 1, We'll definitely have to get together and do some shooting. I'd like to shoot your 223 Handi-Rifle!

If you really have too many cartridges and this is a dilemma I would be happy to shoot some of them for you and thus lessen your problem.;)

RJ

Ranger J, I got a kick out of your post! Thanks for offering to help lessen my problem but now I should have it under control.

Thanks again for every ones encouragement!

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 06:29:49 PM »

Ranger J, I got a kick out of your post! Thanks for offering to help lessen my problem but now I should have it under control.

He only thinks he has his problem under control   ;)  Wait until he walks back into the shop to pick up his new toy and sees his next fix.  It is only the beginning.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"