Author Topic: Who here has?  (Read 723 times)

Offline just bill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Who here has?
« on: October 14, 2007, 02:53:37 AM »
Patterned a Partner 12 ga Turkey gun for Predator loads Buck-Hevi Shot?  It has a standard full choke .695 I believe

Results?

Thanks  :)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: Who here has?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 03:33:58 AM »
Big shot and a real tight choke are usually not a great combo. Hevishot patterns tighter than lead as a general rule. I've tossed quite a few shells of hevishot at geese threw my mod choked topper and 870 with lethal results.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 03:39:32 AM »
Thanks Markus,

It's not a real tight choke, like a Turkey choke.  It's a standard full.  From what I have found the Hevi Shot dead Coyote shoots better in a extra full / Turkey type.

I have patterned #4 Buck,  00 & 000 at 25 & 50 with it to date.  It actually shot the 000 Buck best at 50 yards which surprised me  :o

But,  that was a Federal Prem. Buck load too,  while the others were just Super X & Rem. Express.

Hoping to see some other actual pattern tests here.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 03:59:05 AM »
Hello just bill, you said you had patterned #4, 00, and 000 Buckshot at 25 & 50 yards with it and it shot (patterned?) the 000 Buck best at 50 yards. Would you post those results here for us please. I am interested in your findings, group size and repeatability...Thanks....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 04:55:28 AM »
MSP Ret.

Just dug through my targets.  I patterned a couple weeks ago.  I patterned the Handi 12. full choke .695" Turkey gun 3.5" and a old Winchester Mod. 12 / 12 ga 2.75" / Mod. Choke.

My goal was pellet count in a 6" diameter circle.

Rem Express 2.75" #4 Buck (20 grain projectiles) tested in both guns and Fed. Prem. 3"  000 Buck (70 grain projectiles) from from Partner only at 25 & 50 yards.

With the Partner 12 ga full / #4 Buck (Rem. Express 2.75"/ value load) I got  4  20 grain pellets in a 5.5" diameter kill circle at 25 yards. 9 of 27 total scattered over a 12" square target. The Winchester Mod. 12 Mod. choke printed an average of 5 in 5.5"" and 16 in 12". Thats from bench and bags aiming rather than pointing. At 50 yards off bags and rest there was not the consistent number of 20 grain 4 shot buck in a 6" circle (3-4 min) I felt would be needed to anchor a large coyote here and allow a accurate follow up shot. While there was enough on the 14" square, IMO it would take luck to equate that to reliable kill zone accuracy from either gun.  The Winchester mod. choke printed that value load better.

At 50 yards I would feel more comfortable with the 70 grain 000 buck, which BTW shot MUCH (BUT this was a Fed. Prem. load/ 3" / 000 Buck) better through the full choke Partner. It would still take "luck" in which case I would more faith in a couple of the 70 grain projectiles.  I was surprised at how well it patterned at 50 yards.  It also blew through the wood back stop with ease.  Also patterned well / better at 25 yards.  My conclusion was it was the load quality (Fed. Prem) more so than the prefered shot size.

Latter I patterned Winchester Super X No. 4 shot through the Winchester the results were worst as compared to the other "value" Buck shot load Remington Express.  To date I have not patterned Fed. Premium #4 Buck which the Fed. Prem. Buck as a whole seems to be MUCH better than the value stuff.........if you can find it at a gun shop.  I have not tried any of the new Hevi Shot / Tee pellet loads from Rem. or Win. which one can use in a standard non tube Handi BTW (quote- H&R/NEF support staff).  I just have not been willing to fork out the huge price differance to test with as I don't need non toxic for predators here anyways.

I need to test more Fed. Premiums in the Partner full choke.

Others please posts pattern results.

BTW- The Rem. Nitro Mag 3.5" #4 Shot Turkey Loads Patterned Excellant From My Partner at 25 & 50  I tested them 1.5 years agol don't have the results in front of me but they were a "wow!".  In fact it was the first Turkey load I patterned and the last.........no need to go on.  It also had mucho recoil though!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 12:05:17 PM »
just bill, have you considered using those good patterning 3.5" Remington Nitro Mags for coyote medicine? I am sure it would put them down for the count if they throw a small tight pattern....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 01:57:35 PM »
I have considered it but question #4 bird rather than buck shot on coyote.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 02:11:19 PM »
I know of those that swear by #4 shot in a 12 gauge for a "barn gun" for close up shots at coyotes, and if those 3.5 Mags pattern nice and tight with a good point of aim in your gun I think they would work great and feel their effective range would be out to where they pattern to about a 12" spread....<><....:)

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 12:46:26 AM »
Well thanks,  maybe I will try that.  I was concerned about getting enough penetration with them as compared.  I have read where #4 shot is often recommended as a Fox load.

Yea...they patterned great........kicked like a mule but patterned ideal.

In thick brush woods calling do you think more pattern density is better or fewer but heavier shot?

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 08:18:13 AM »
MSP Ret,

Just wanted to share this with you before I hit the road.

I did a little more testing today.  On my home range I pined up  8.5" paper plates and shot a few 2.75" Winchester Super X #4 Buck for tests.  The difference was I shot as if in field calling.  I shot a couple at 37 paces while leaned against a large tree and one from 40 paces sitting.  The load was very manageable meaning the recoil didn't bother me the least.  In fact it was much better than from bench and bags.  I shot this way because just like when I shoot woodchucks with a rifle,  I have learned that how I shoot in field matters most.

It patterned well I thought putting 3-4 pellets in the plate but more important was judging by my back stop all 27 were easily with in the standard 30" diameter shotgun test circle.  In fact they appeared to be with in 24" diameter.  This is important as the coyote will not likely be standing there waiting for me to take aim in the brushy stuff and woods coming to the call.  If that were the case I would bring my rifle  ;)

I hiked out back last evening and called in a Red Fox to with in 30 yards but, Fox season opens next week.  He sure didn't just stand there as happens in open fields and was on the move.  Because of that I think the pattern may be ideal and the range/distance is plenty for my terrain (I use a rifle in open fields).  Likely moving and if dead broadside boiler room aim will put some in the head neck area to.  In other words it covers me a little.

I think I will just stick with Winchester for now as the shops here carry it readily.  Judging by your handle I suspect you know a little about buck shot  ;)  Question:  Should I be concerned with penetration of the un-plated number 4 Winchester Buck?  I see the Law Enforcement and Supreme loads in #4 are plated.  Just the shops here don't carry it so I would have to order it.  If I want more pellet count down the road I can just go up as it's a 3.5" chamber.  But, again the 2.75" load was very nice and did not have me jumpy no more than bird shot.  Which for me I think helps when aiming a shot gun rather than pointing.  I get a little ansy prior to the big kick with a 3.5" and tend to lean into it,adjust.......prepare, which don't help accuracy in field.

Last,  I walked out of a Gander Mountain a couple years ago with this Partner Turkey gun (camo/12ga/sling/fixed full choke spec. .695).  Did not enter the store looking for a gun. . I carried it again last evening and it just carries soooo well....."handi" for climbing ravines,etc.  I found with a little practice and the added shell holder I can calmly reload a shell in what I beleive addiquite time to put another hit on a Coyote that may appear to need one.  In fact the time differance for such was not greatly differance than from my old Winchester Model 12 Pump really.  It just carries well (so short and light) and I don't worry about banging it up.  Crawling under brush & tops,  one hand easily ballances it at the grip like it's not even there.

Off to a trade show for work, so that ends my little fun time for a few days  ;)

Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks again

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 10:32:54 AM »
Hi Bill, I think you are better off with the unplated 2 3/4" loads that you may shoot better for lack of any punishing recoil than the monster 3.5" plated loads. I have always maintained it is better to hit a deer in the heart with a 30-30 than in the guts with a .300 Magnum. It has proven out over the years also that a good substantial hit with a lesser caliber is better than a near miss with a cannon. Unplated buckshot is supposed to group better since it is reported to be harder than regular lead shot and therefore deform less and you have less "flyers". If your shots are kept in a comfortable distance you are good to go with regular buckshot, and it does work in disabling and stopping an attacker (read that coyote please). You have discovered the well known secret about these Handi's, they are in truth handy and carry very well in the woods and fields. I reach for mine more and more now that I am no longer in the position of possibly facing multiple targets/adversaries. For the type of hunting I do I believe single shots are great....<><....:)