Author Topic: VICTORY.....motorcycles  (Read 894 times)

TM7

VICTORY.....motorcycles
« on: October 14, 2007, 07:50:18 AM »
Anybody got a Victory and how are they? How is their engine? Are they runners and problem free.
Or are they just a passing fancy?

....thanx...TM7

Offline magooch

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: VICTORY.....motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 04:05:10 AM »
Actually, Victories have been around for a number of years.  I don't have one and I've never ridden one, but I have looked them over and I liked what I saw.  As I understand it, they are put together in the U.S., or at least that was what I was told.  They probably have a website.

The ones I looked at were priced far below Harleys and even a bit lower than some of the Japanese brands.  I guess one of the things to be wary of would be that small outfits sometimes don't make it and they fall by the wayside.  Where would that leave one with respect to parts, etc.
Swingem

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 11:54:24 AM »
I have looked at them up close at bike rallies and they are beautiful. I say go for it. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Paleface

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 03:50:30 PM »
They are an up and coming motorcycle company. Good to see another american brand.

I looked at the vegas jackpot (new) pretty hard before I bought my harley (used). It's a nice bike with a more powerful stock motor than the t/c 88 or 96. I really liked the 250 rear tire and the styling of this bike. I had a few issues, though.

The dealer wouldn't budge off of msrp. (The bike was a new model and getting good press). The dealer network is sporadic at best. I would make sure my local dealer had a good mechanic. The availability of aftermarket parts is sparce. They have a good motor (100ci), but the best uprgrade is to 106 with a pricey s&s kit. If you just want to putt, no problem, you will probably be good to go. If you want to tour cross country, I would research the dealer network. Getting the bike serviced will be pricey, as they have a captive market. If you are a do it yourselfer, no issues.

These bikes can be had for a huge discount in the secondary market with a few thousand miles and a couple model years old. If I wanted one I would look around hard, one of the biggest gripes about the brand is the resale. There is a glut of harleys on the market right now too because of the t/c 96 upgrade, lots of guy are ditching the 88. Good values out there as the 95 inch kit is the way to go on the t/c 88.

Victory has a very loyal following amongst the owners. Not a bad way to go. Check out thevmc.com for more research.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 03:56:34 PM »
Something to consider is that dealers are pretty scarce.  The resale on a Harley is better.  Victory (like Indian) may not be around long.  I've been riding for 37 years and I'd buy a Harley or a Jap bike if I were you.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Paleface

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 02:56:27 PM »
I would be wary of buying a kingpin, they can't seem to give them away. Might be a nice bike, but the resale is bad. If I were in your shoes and had the money (and was going with victory), I would look for  used vegas or 8 ball. Nice style. Good prices.

Around here I have seen 01-02 lowriders between 10.5k and 11.3k advertised price. Fatboys and heritage usually get more. If you want a fatboy with different wheels, look at heritage and deluxe (I have a deluxe). They are all FL front ends.

I have been disappointed in triumph offerings, I keep hoping they will come out with a 1200cc+ motor in the bonneville america or speedmaster frame. That would be a nice bike. Allways liked the speed triple, but I think I would get in big trouble if I had one.

Motorcycle trader has alot of bogus price listings, check ebay to see what they go for. This has been the best indicator of price I have seen. If you have an account, you can click on the completed listings check box on the left and look at the completed transactions (in green). As always many think their bike is worth a mint, reality is that prices on used bikes have been dropping heavily in the last 3 years.

I have reciepts for my bike showing the previous owner (who bought it new, 05 deluxe) spent 24k. I picked it up 14 months ago with 12k miles (motor upgraded at 8k) for 14k. Just goes to show you if you look hard enough, you will find a deal. I bought mine in the same town I lived in. I had 8 months factory warranty when I bought it.

Good Luck