Author Topic: Best cold Blue?  (Read 312 times)

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Best cold Blue?
« on: October 16, 2007, 05:50:36 AM »
I am refinishing an in the white carbon steel barrel. Has anyone used any of the cold blue methods and which ones have worked the best for you?
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Best cold Blue?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 10:28:59 AM »
Some cold blues can be a real pain to work with as they streak or get uneven and rust after use ect ect ect. I found the best or I should say the easiest and the best I have used was Birchwood Casey' SUPER BLUE. It is a real dark blue and goes on easy with out streaking and after you blue the metal I use a coat of oil to stop the process. I have had good luck with it. Others may have other ones they like but I find this one to be the easiest to use expecially for some one who may never have messed with cold blues before. They are not equal in ease of use or the finished product. Birchwood Casey makes several cold blues so make sure it says SUPER BLUE on it.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 10:45:05 AM »
I've used BC Superblue and PermaBlue, but after refinishing an SB2 H&R receiver with Brownell's Oxpho Blue Creme, I'll never use the BC stuff again, the Oxpho Blue is good stuff, not hot blue quality, but for a cold blue and as easy as it is to use, I recommend it highly. See Handirifle's "Cold Blue questions" topic in the Gunsmithing forum. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 11:30:33 AM »
Since it comes from Brownells I am sure it is good. Might have to give it a try sometime what is the cost of it? Since you give it your seal of approval  ;D I would try it. I have in the past tried some others that did not work good so I have been reluctant to try stuff that may not be as good as Super Blue.  Between Super Blue and Perma Blue I prefer the Super Blue. The problem that I have with ordering anything is that sometimes the shipping cost more than the product does wihich in effect may double or higher the price of the product.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 11:42:57 AM »
I ordered 4oz of the liquid and 8oz of the creme, cost was $40 shipped UPS ground, so it's not cheap, but the creme worked great, the liquid was similar to BC blueing.

Tim

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1108&title=OXPHO-BLUE%7e+CREME

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1072&title=OXPHO-BLUE%7e
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain