Author Topic: What factory 243 ammo for White Tails?  (Read 2959 times)

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
Re: What factory 243 ammo for White Tails?
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2007, 03:06:11 PM »
100gr Remington Core-lokt. Oh and Dale do not feel bad this coming up hunting season will be my 9th year deer hunting I have never even seen a racked buck while hunting much less had a chance to shot one. I have taken several does and spikes but never a racked buck. A quick funny story about three years ago my cousins told me to come out to his land that he had been watching a nice 8pt everyday for over two weeks.Now he is a big time deer hunter with quite a few monster bucks to his credit. So I go down on a Saturday we get on stand about 11:30 and sit till the end of legal shooting light never seeing the 8pt or even a doe. Well he calles me the next day and said he had let his friend take his girlfriend who had never been hunting and can you guess what she got. The 8 pointer.

Offline ironduke2

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2007, 03:32:38 PM »
I think in dales area you have to have 3 points on one side.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2007, 03:42:26 PM »
In the area I live you need 4 points on one side. There are some close by areas that only require 3 on one side. I do not know why the game com. does not do this thing by counties. It would be a lot easier to know where you are. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline ro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2007, 05:21:07 PM »
DALE, what state do you live in ?

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2007, 10:49:13 PM »
   I saw a 16 pointer last year near the Pa border..beautiful, big buck ! i had top pass it up though;...he had   D A L E  branded right along his rib cage !..LOL

Hey Dale; keep the faith..old bucky will crop up when you least expect him...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2007, 10:31:54 AM »
will do ;D or we could catch the deer send it to you and then you will have to let it loose and then shoot it. or a deer drive
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2007, 12:49:50 PM »
DALE, what state do you live in ?
Il live in Pa about 55 miles south east of Pittsburgh. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline dpastordan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Shooting firearms since 1962
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2007, 01:00:21 PM »
I have used the Federal Hi-Shok 100 gr SP with good effect.  Complete penetration thru the rib cage with an exit hole big enough to drop a quarter in.  You might want to consider their 100 gr Nosler Partitions. 

Offline bulzaye

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
  • How about them cowboys
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2007, 01:11:19 PM »
Dale I load myself which I know isn't in the topic, but I use Sierra game king 100 grain boat tails. They fly true and hit hard. I started hunting in 1975 and never saw a deer or shot one until 1984. It was a 6 point at 5 feet. At that time here in northern new york, deer were not very populated in the adirondacks. Since then the deer have become plentiful and I have been very lucky with bow muzzleloader rifle and handgun. Hang in there it will happen. And when it does, there is no better feeling. Best of luck to you. If I see a Dale deer this far from your area, I will send you a pic with me straddling it covering up the Dale lol.
Deceased 4/26/08 RIP Bob.

A country boy can survive

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2007, 04:19:32 PM »
are there good sized bucks in pa. i have heard mixed things and i might take a trip up there to go huntin.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2007, 04:44:19 PM »
Some of the bigest in the country. Dale

Offline pigguy

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2007, 05:30:42 PM »
Federal sierra gamekings have worked great for my handi (both 100 grns and 85 grns).1 shot 1 kill!Do yourself a favor and get a trigger job done.These are 85$ in FT.Smith,ar.And woth every pennie!! I shot a coyote at 320 with this gun with 100 grns,nsler partition.So go get the cheapest accuracy improve on your gun and ENJOY the Handi rifle nation!!!

Offline Joel24

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2007, 06:55:48 PM »
We're all rootin for ya Dale...Like the guys said, walk slow and look around a lot. Take three steps, stop and listen, keep your head on a swivel. If you can ID any major deer walkin routes, especially near water, that's your huckleberry. Watch out for scrapes and other buck indicators, and don't give up.

It's your year!

Offline ro

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2007, 07:23:45 PM »
DALE, man i hope this is going to be your year on the deer, i killed my first deer in 1977, that was 30 years ago since then i have killed over a 100 deer, you can do the same thing but you have to get out in the spring and fall and scout the deer, you can not go opening day without scouting the land you are hunting and kill a buck, yes some hunters luck-up and luck does have alot to do with it, the right at the right time, but it a rare thing, it takes time in the woods and stand placement, i plant spring/ summer food plots and fall/winter food plots here on my land to keep and hold the deer, it takes alot of time and money to do this but over the past 10-12 years of doing this it has paid off big time, i can go into one of my food plot feilds most any day and see deer, i live in mississippi we a very long deer season, oct-1-07 thur feb-01-08 if you hunt all the seasons its one of the longest in the country. DALE, why i asked where you lived was the 4x4 rule or law on bucks, penn i have heard had a great herd state wide of deer, most of the time i see a side by side rule its out west, this is our state law on deer hunting, buck deer is one per day 4 point or better, not to exceed three per season, antlerless/does is one per day not to exceed three per season,except that two additional does may be taken with a bow. alll the above is gun,blow,muzzler-loader season here, but here in mississippi we can hunt with the nef/hr 45/70 handi-rifle in primitive season, any nef/hr handi-riflre 38 caliber or larger with scopes is legal. so dale if you want to shoot a deer with your handi-rifle come on down we may trade out a hunt, i also have alot of turkey on this place.

Offline ro

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2007, 07:56:11 PM »
DALE, the above post, lol we have a bow season not a blow season, also i killed two coyotes today with a 308 handi-rifle, 1 at about 60 yds, the other one about 100 yds right before dark in my deer green food plots, killing a coyote is better than a deer.

Offline camsdaddy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2007, 07:10:38 AM »
Ok a report a 243 factory load that generally shoots well in a Handi. I got a wonderful call yesterday from a friend of mines son he had just gotten his first deer I was on my way to the truck before I ended the call. I got there I found a doe that he had shot at roughly 75yds using 100gr fed blue box out of a ruger. I know it wasnt a handi but this is how it went he shot the deer ran about 25yds and collapsed he made a good shot and though there was no exit a blood trail was obvious. I dont know if my primary reason for this post is to point out the bullet performance or just to say yipee I am so excited and proud this kid has hunted with us for a few years and this is his first I may be the proudest uncle in the world.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2007, 12:53:09 PM »
Very happy to hear he got his first one. I bet the kid is really proud of himself.    Dale

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2007, 03:19:37 PM »
blow season is when you scare a buck everytime after legal shooting hours on the way out.. i hate that season.  ;D happens to me way to much

Rick

Offline njanear

• Avid Poster
    • www.geocities.com/njanear13
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2007, 03:26:56 PM »
I started hunting deer back in 1977 with my Dad (I was 10).  He finally got his first buck (an old spike) in 1979 with my Savage single shot 12g (he couldn't use his rifles due to the area), while I sat on a tree limb next to him (it was a tiny one-man ladder stand, so I drew the 'branch seat'); he didn't get another deer until he took an old 7pt. in 2003.  :o  And no more to date... yet..

I took my first deer (a doe) with that same Savage 12g in 1981.  Since then, I have only managed to rack up two more does (within seconds of each other), a 'button' buck (I thought it was a nice fat doe - I felt bad but it tasted just as good  ;D), and then finally last year, brought home a 6pt buck.  Of course, I don't get much time to get in the woods and even then, have to depend on the National Forest and then quota hunts for hunting land.  :(

I say all this to say "Just hang in there, Dale.  Your moment is coming."  8)

As for the .243 ammo, I can't help you there.  My only experience has been 1 with buckshot, 3 with .308 150gr Core-Loct, and 1 with .45/70 405gr Core-loct - all worked well!

PS:  Thursday, Friday and Saturday, I am off to a Buck-Only quota hunt.  Cross your fingers for me...  ;)  Now to choose between the .308, .45/70 and .280 (which is a NEF  :))

Njanear 
    12B/21B - Combat Engineer, the way to B           1985 - 1996 GaARNG
Atlanta, GA

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2007, 04:20:09 PM »
is it thick brush, long range, or med range. med to thick 45/70. and .308 for everything. so go .308. good luck

Rick

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2007, 04:23:50 PM »
Good luck to you I hope you get a 12 point.  Dale

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2007, 05:38:13 AM »
Dale,

Remington Core Lokt's in 100 gr.

You can find the ammo anywhere and it is usually pretty cheap. I use Core Lokt's in my .35 Whelen and my 30-30's and it shoots well for me.
My uncle shoots a Remington .243 and he swears by the Core Lokt's also. Clean kills without alot of meat damage. Give them a try.

Good luck this year Dale, it's your year!!

Spanky

Offline njanear

• Avid Poster
    • www.geocities.com/njanear13
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2007, 03:05:33 PM »
is it thick brush, long range, or med range. med to thick 45/70. and .308 for everything. so go .308. good luck

Thanks but I'm not worried about which cartridge to choose (On top of those 3, I have several other deer-class cartridges I could chose from  8)) - I just need to figure out which belle to ask out to the ball for the first hunt: the mature lady (Rem. 788 carbine), the plus-sized girl (Marlin 1895G) or the tall woman (NEF .280).   ;D

The funny thing is that just this afternoon, I narrowed it down to 2 based on where I am headed - and you picked the two.  After I pre-position the stand tomorrow, I'll flip the quarter - scope (.308) or peep sights (.45/70).  The .280 will just have to sit it out until I get a chance to head to the powerline cut (hopefully in a few more weeks).
Njanear 
    12B/21B - Combat Engineer, the way to B           1985 - 1996 GaARNG
Atlanta, GA

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2007, 03:32:48 PM »
Dale,do like I do and kill them with a ugly.What you do is make the ugliest face you can at them,and if its good enough they'll fall over dead.I'm real good at it,but Hellacatcher had to give it up.He was tearing to much meat up. :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2007, 04:23:20 PM »
Yea, but we all know who is the master of ugly. I have seen Digger wipe out a hole prairie dog town just by driving by.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2007, 05:00:13 PM »
Yea, but we all know who is the master of ugly. I have seen Digger wipe out a hole prairie dog town just by driving by.
:D

Now that's ugly!!

Spanky

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2007, 05:12:49 PM »

I think that's a bit of an over statement. The ones underground at the time survived with only minor injuries.  ;D

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2007, 05:28:42 PM »

Hey I told you I was good at it.I trained lik2hunt to do it,and the guys at the prosesing plant told him to quit bringing in deer that he found on the railroad tracks. :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D   Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2007, 03:57:05 PM »
you need welding goggles to see when he makes his face or else

Rick

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2007, 04:50:46 PM »
What Digger said is not completely true.......imagine that   ::)  ;D.......what they said was quit bringing in deer that had been hit by that ugly train.  ;D
Actually I've had quite a hard time killing deer with "the ugly". Every time I try it, they all seem to want to go in rut for some reason.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org