Author Topic: Blooded my Buffalo Classic!  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Joel24

• Trade Count: (0)
Blooded my Buffalo Classic!
« on: October 17, 2007, 06:25:35 PM »
Hey all!

Figured I should let everyone know I got my BC...and I LOVE IT! Can't say it enough. For a dude who is used to precision rifles and military surplus I gotta say this is a very welcome change.

Beautiful stock, sweet trigger pull, and I love the sight radius. Don't point half bad either. Reminds me of a Pennsylvania rifle actually.

My only problem so far is that to zero it took all my right windage for 300 grain Win Partition Gold. Can I knock the front sight chuckwagon to the right some and move my rear sight back to the left? With my right windage maxed out it's impossible to get to the screw on the front sight.

Sighted in with 10 rounds yesterday and it was grouping sweet...And...today I ran into a little 4 pointer, just couldn't help but try out the rifle. My friend had a Stevens 200 he shoots better than anything, so I figured if my shot went awry he had me covered.

A doe showed herself at about 80 yards and moved towards us slowly, and I figured her boyfriend wouldn't be far behind...He came out and moved within 70 of me, turned broadside. I'm using the post sight with the ball bead on top, so I lay the ball over his shoulder and I fired.

Talk about Bang-Flop! It kicked it's leg once and died right there where it fell, quicker can I could dump a new shell into the rifle.

I am VERY impressed.

Anyone mind if i post a pic? I don't wanna break the rules if there are any concering shot animals.

Thanks!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Blooded my Buffalo Classic!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 06:40:29 PM »
Congrats, and please post the pic. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline whiteoper

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 07:09:38 PM »
Congrats, sound like you have a meat getter.

I for one always like pictures (now if I could only read) ;D ;D

Rosoce

Offline Joel24

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 07:33:59 PM »
Thanks!

And they say a picture is worth a thousands words, so I reckon we read enough for tonight, whiteoper!

Really digging this new "meatgetter" of mine...Can't wait to skin and see if it really is true about being able to eat right up to the bullethole. Sure spoiled a lot less meat than my 300 WM or other 30 cals woulda. Still a humane kill too. What's not to love?

Hit him a little further forward than I woulda liked to, but the exit is further back.

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 08:17:20 PM »
Looks like the perfect spot to me to drop him where he stood...upper shoulder shot.  I'm jealous, and getting just a little anxious for Ohio's season to start, and it's still over  a month away :-\ .  Anyways, keep us updated on how it looks when you get into it.  Congratulations, that is a hell of a buck.

~Amos
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline PeterCartwright

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 02:07:44 AM »
Congrats!  Good shooting (and, no doubt, good eating too!).  I hadn't thought about your Pennsylvania Rifle analogy before, but as I look at the profile of your rifle, I sure see why.  Looks a bit like a Lancaster County pattern profile.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 02:15:23 AM »
Congratulation Joel24, I have had my 22" 45/70 Handis for a while now but just recently finally picked up a BC barrel and now have it all set to go to the range. The firearms season starts in Maine in a week or so and I am sure it will get carried out into the woods on a few occasions. I hope I am as successful as you. Not only do these rifles shoot great they look great also, thanks for the post and the nice picture....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Doug K.A.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 05:04:45 AM »
Congratulations!
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

Offline Tackleberry

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
  • That's not a gun---This is a gun....
    • mil
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 05:54:50 AM »
I'm hoping to put mine to use up in Wisconsin next month, GOD it's a long drive from Jacksonville, Fl and my wife is already bitch'in about the ride up there, but I wanna be able to bring several guns that need to be "blooded" and several of my really big ice chests.  I'll be bringing the Buffalo Classic, and a 7x57 Mauser, a .257 Roberts Mauser, and a .338 -06 Mauser, all built during the last 6 months. Once there, I'll decide what to use, but definitely the BCs going to hunt.  If I can get around to rechambering my .30-30 Handirifle barrel to .30-40 Krag I may bring it too....

Dave
David Berry
LCDR USN (ret)
NRA Life member
Texan by birth and the grace of GOD
OLE MISS graduate

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 06:20:36 AM »
Very nice pic.  It is 4 weeks till firearm season here.  I am anxious.  Headed out on Saturday to bow hunt or at least scout for shotgun season.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline Joel24

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 03:15:12 PM »
Thanks again to all of you guys, and wishing everyone lots of luck on their hunts coming up. Go get em, guys!

Gonna try to pick up some Remmy 405 grain stuff for my short range load tomorrow. I'm hoping I can avoid moving the front sight, or not using all my windage adjustments to be well centered at 100 meters.

Tackleberry, happy to talk to another Mauser lover!.

MSP, had a heck of a time trying to decide between the 22" handi and the Buffler Classic...Must be the westerns I grew up on. Someday I am gonna have to find a six gun to wear with the rifle.

Time to get off my butt and make a smoking shack to start making the jerky!

Offline RickC.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 05:32:11 PM »
Excellent!

Congrats, Joel!

Rick
"You cain't teach what you don't know anymore than you can come back from where you ain't been"- John Osteen

Offline dodd3

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 08:55:00 PM »
joel24 your buff was shooting to the left so you moved the rear sight to the right to get zero. if you want to move the rear sight bagk left then you move the front sight left not right , the front sight allways goes  the oposit to the rear sight.congrats on the new buff and the buck.
bernie :)
if its feral its in peril

Offline bub524

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 01:39:18 AM »
I'm hoping to put mine to use up in Wisconsin next month, GOD it's a long drive from Jacksonville, Fl and my wife is already bitch'in about the ride up there, but I wanna be able to bring several guns that need to be "blooded" and several of my really big ice chests.  I'll be bringing the Buffalo Classic, and a 7x57 Mauser, a .257 Roberts Mauser, and a .338 -06 Mauser, all built during the last 6 months. Once there, I'll decide what to use, but definitely the BCs going to hunt.  If I can get around to rechambering my .30-30 Handirifle barrel to .30-40 Krag I may bring it too....

Dave

Where abouts do you hunt up here in WI?
"Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." G. Marx

Offline Tackleberry

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
  • That's not a gun---This is a gun....
    • mil
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 03:46:37 AM »
a friend's wife's mother lives on a 700 acre farm near La Croisse....full of deer and turkey....and of course while I'm there I will make a pilgrimage to Cabela's in Prairie de Chen. I hunted there two years ago and took a nice buck, weighed in at 130 pounds. I really only had 1 1/2 days to hunt there then, so I really didnt have the luxury of being too selective. I had either sex tags and he stepped out 200 yards away and I thought at the time it was a big doe..I saw him just as i neared the crest of a farm field hill after cutting a forked stick. He had stepped out about 5-10 yards infront of the woods into the stubble field and was grazing.  I slunk down, laid my Browning A-bolt .280 across the stick and fired, he went down for the count. When I got there he was a 1 1/2 inch "button" spike.

Very tasty after being corn fed all summer too!!

Dave   
David Berry
LCDR USN (ret)
NRA Life member
Texan by birth and the grace of GOD
OLE MISS graduate

Offline Joel24

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 05:46:59 AM »
Bernie,

Thanks bro, I had that bass ackwards. I dunno what put it into my head that the gun was shooting right, when it really needed to be shooting right...More sleep, less lead paint chips I guess.

Tackleberry, I find those ones are better eatin than big old bucks that root around in swamps all day anyway :) Bigger the buck up here, more crap you have to drag him out of.

Offline bub524

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 11:27:40 AM »
Last buck I shot was about 4 years ago with a 45-70 handi as well. It was a mere 210# dressed and took 2 men and a boy, liiterally, to drag it to the Gator. Getting it in wasn't the end, putting it on the truck was worse. Some grow big up here in the north of WI.
"Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." G. Marx

Offline carp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 03:55:47 PM »
Congratulations!

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2007, 08:27:18 PM »
The front sight CAN be drifted on thee but sometimes it takes some doing.  After posting on here, afraid I was getting ready to break something, I took a steel flat punch (didn't have brass) and whacked the snot out of it, while it was laying on a board.  it took a few good whacks to get it to loosen.  They are glued in as well as wedged.

Nice deer and nice shootin as well.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Joel24

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 08:34:53 PM »
Thank you handirifle!

That sucker sure is on there good. I was wondering if it was staked and very scared to bust it up. I had a steel punch too so I cushioned it with a leather pad and gave it a few smacks. Nothin doin, and  I really don't want to mar the finish or damage the gun.

Thinking a Williams sight pusher might be the way to go, unless I chuck the rifle in a padded vice, get someone to hold it, and giver hell.

Converted to Remmy 405 grain SP today...Had to bring up the rear, but it was plunkin em pretty good with a front globe sight.

Still a few inches left with my right windage maxed out though  :(