Author Topic: BEST SLUG FOR TAMER  (Read 460 times)

Offline ratherbefishin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
BEST SLUG FOR TAMER
« on: October 18, 2007, 07:08:12 AM »
I am getting my 20 guage ''TAMER'' shortly-the primary use will be a truck gun for potting grouse-but I chose the 20 guage over the 410 because I wanted to shoot slugs,if I chanced on a deer.The Tamer has a 20 ''full choked smooth barrel-what would be the most suitable slug for this gun-what sort of accuracy can I expect,and what is the practical range?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: BEST SLUG FOR TAMER
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 07:50:21 AM »
Try them all to see which your gun likes best. I suggest 2 3/4" standard, non-magnum loadings, non sabotted slugs of course. I like the Brenneke's or the Remington sluggers. Some swear by Remington Buckhammers but I have not shot them because of the price AND the Brennekes work great for me....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 09:34:21 AM »
Remington says the BuckHammers are for fully rifled barrels or barrels with a rifled choke tube.  I have the Carlson rifled choke tube in 12 ga and have been pleased with the performance.  I just got a 20 ga USH barrel that has the rifled barrel.  A friend found me a couple boxes of the BuckHammers in 20 ga and I will be trying them in the gun this weekend.  Right now Remington has a $5.00/box rebate on them, so that makes them more reasonable.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline ratherbefishin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 02:40:08 PM »
the 20 guage Tamer has a smooth bore-20"full choke barrel-capable of 3'' shells so I'm just wondering what would be the best slug -does it make much difference having  a 20'' barrel than a 30'' barrel in terms of velocity?What length of barrel is required to produce the most useful velocity?