Author Topic: CR-45LC Strength?  (Read 769 times)

Offline silver surfer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
CR-45LC Strength?
« on: October 18, 2007, 09:59:36 AM »
  My youngest boy wants a "Buffalo Rifle" like mine for Christmas.  He sure knows how to play me. 
  I did a little home work on the chamber pressures of the 45LC and the .454 Casull's .  The Casull is a pretty hefty round :o!  50,000+ psi!  Does anyone know if these rifles can handle that kind of chamber pressure?  I would like to get one for my youngest son and I would like to load it up for big game.
  I wouldnt' be feeding the rifle a steady diet of the .454's, using 45 loads for practice and getting him used to it.  Then switching to the heavy stuff for the main event.  Also if someone has done this how is the recoil with the .454 loads.  He's a tough little guy and has alot of heart, but I dont want to make him gun shy. 
  If this is ill advised please speak up now, I've still got a few paychecks before Christmas to find him something else.  Thank you for the advice. 
"Blamin a gun for shootin people is like blamin your pencil for misspellin a word!"
  Larry the Cable Guy

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: CR-45LC Strength?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 10:21:32 AM »
Why not use the 45LC for practice AND hunting??  The 45 LC will easily put down big game.  Just try to keep the shots within sensible range and you are good to go.  Something else to consider, if you sight in with 45 LC and then switch to 454 the point of impact may be different at the target due to the 454 being considerably hotter.  Just my 2 cents.

Spanky

Offline silver surfer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 10:38:03 AM »
Spanky I've already taken the point of impact versus the two loads into consideration.  They definitely would not be the same, especially down range.  No some re-sighting would have to take place before a hunt.  Thanks for the advice.
  My biggest concern is where we hunt in central Mississippi shot are pretty close, usually 50 yards, but 150 yards is not uncommon.  We do have a good population of wild hogs and I wouldn't want the little dude to feel under gunned and not take one if he gets the chance.   
"Blamin a gun for shootin people is like blamin your pencil for misspellin a word!"
  Larry the Cable Guy

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 11:11:14 AM »
I posted a link to a previous thread that answered your question the last time you asked, here it is again. The frame of the 45 Colt carbine is the same SB2 frame that is used on the rest of the rifles that include chamberings of .500 S&W(60kpsi) and .270 Winchester(65kpsi).

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,127218.msg1098457259.html#msg1098457259
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline silver surfer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 02:19:38 PM »
Thanks Quick I didn't read that.  That's some pretty good info, how did your conversion work out?  Have you liked it?  If it's safe and accurate, with less recoil than a 20ga. Topper w/slugs, I'm in! ;D  The boy has got heart, as he gets size he gets the .460, if he wants it.  (and he's as bad as his dad ;)
  Thanks for the reply.
  Larry the Cable Guy

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 02:22:06 PM »
You evidently didn't read the whole thread, if you read my last post on the 2nd page, you'll see I'm waiting for a 460 reamer. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline silver surfer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 02:35:26 AM »
Yep read that to, my misunderstanding, I thought you meant that you had done the .454 conversion already and were waiting to up-grade to .460.
  It'll be a year or three before he'll need that much power.  Maybe by then they'll make a reamer for it.  Who knows he'll probably have me talked into a 45-70 or bigger by then :D.  Time will tell.
  Larry the Cable Guy

Offline DocHolliday

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 06:54:56 AM »
Silver:
The .45LC loaded w/ 300 gr. hard cast and "somewhere" over 24 gr. H110 will take anything MS can offer within 125yds.  Great accuracy w/ a Marlin.  (I have seen little difference between my Handi .444 and my Marlin .444.  Since Marlin now makes the barrels for the Handi.......)
I think that the .45LC would be ideal for your application.  Pigs have died REAL dead w/ mine!
Doc
Benefactor Life Member NRA
Senior Sponsor NWTF