Author Topic: shotgun sights  (Read 823 times)

Offline ratherbefishin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
shotgun sights
« on: October 18, 2007, 02:53:06 PM »
I will be taking delivery of my new 20 guage ''Tamer'' in the next couple of day-which  will be primarily used for potting grouse on roasdsides -but I will also carry a couple of slugs if I chance on a deer.Now-given the fact  my eyes aren't what they used to be-what sort of sights would be best[I have dificulty focussing on the front sight-rectified by installing a ''firesight''on my savage #219].I note some shotguns employ a ''double bead ''system for sighting.I'm thinking most shooting  will be under 50 yards for deer[slugs] buckshot-30 yards- and the same or less for grouse[#6 shot]
Any ideas or options that have worked for you?

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: shotgun sights
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 04:08:43 PM »
A 20 guage can be drilled and tapped. Have it done and put a red dot on it.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 04:46:25 PM »
I had it drilled and tapped for turkey in 20 ga. full choke and it is sweet. But I don't think I would want to use that scope system for grouse. That is too much of a point and shoot really quick proposition.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 07:42:57 PM »
I bought one of these Mueller Quick Shot sights and am getting ready to put it on my 12 ga.  It might be just the ticket for what you want.  It is a red dot plus other sights with few obstructions.
http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MQS12233-turkey.html

"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 05:07:40 AM »
that looks like an excellent solution-I wonder what the  the best way to attach it to the Tamer would be-any body else with NEF/H&R shotguns used one?

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 05:16:53 AM »
That looks like a good sight for old eyes with bifocals.  Thanks for the info.  I think I will check that out, too.  The automatic brightness control sounds good.  I have talked to many guys who have missed shots because the conditions changed and they didn't re-tune the brightness on their scope.  The price isn't too bad either.  Thanks for the info.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 08:34:33 AM »
Grouse a point and shoot quick proposition??? You meen you shoot at em flying?  ;D
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 08:50:28 AM »
The Quick Shot mounts on a regular scope rail.  Have your barrel drilled and tapped if you can.  My 12 ga barrel is too thin to be drilled and tapped, so I am going to try using JB Weld to mount the scope rail.  Since the Quick Shot only weights 4oz it shouldn't stress the scope rail as much as a heavy scope.  When I get it done I'll post the results.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 01:03:33 PM »
this is not a long range situation-likely well within 75 yards-so either a red dot -or a tru glo type sight should work well.The thing is how to mount them on a round shotgun barrel-finding if there is a rounded mount to fit .I'm also wondering if a epoxy type glue would work if the surface was big enough, if drilling and tapping wasn't viable

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 02:09:06 PM »
Just use a regular Handi rifle mount and drill and tap the barrel. They are e available either from H&R or weaver.

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 03:26:44 AM »
you figure the 20 guage barrel has enough material to drill and tap and if so-what model base fits the TAMER? I see several models on E-BAY but none lists the Tamer

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 12:26:33 PM »
All H&R bases for the handi's tamer included are the same. The 20 guage Ultra barrel is drilled and tapped from the factory abd is the same diamiter at the shank as any standard modern H&R 20 gage barrel. I drilled and tapped my own and pit a 2.5 X scope on it for shooting cheep foster slugs.

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 12:55:56 PM »
How difficult is it to do your own drilling and tapping?I have a drill press and clamp-and can borrow a tap and die set.I would think setting the depth would be crucial

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 01:03:39 PM »
Just go slow and u will be fine.