Author Topic: Got a phone call thursday morning...  (Read 949 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Got a phone call thursday morning...
« on: October 18, 2007, 11:11:16 PM »

Recieved a call from my Marine grandson yesterday morning....

He was already in Kuwait getting ready to fly out from his second deployment to the Ramadi / Fallujah area. He should be in Germany this morning and back with his little wife at Camp Lejeune tomorrow (Saturday) morning..

Praise God for his overwatch !                                                                                  
                                                                                                                                       .....Ironglow
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline hardertr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Got a phone call thursday morning...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 01:15:05 AM »
Ironglow,  I would like to thank you for being the supportive grandfather I'm sure you are.  It really DOES make a difference.  No matter what folks opinion is of the "war", soldiers like to hear from their family and friends that the years spent in this hell-hole are not a complete waste.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 02:05:22 AM »
Military service in the War on Terror is never a waste of any sort.  I'm glad he's coming home.  My son will deploy soon.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 02:53:47 AM »
Those that oppose our involvement in protecting our country have the unfair advantage of not caring , while we that do support our troops are busy with watching their advancements , feeling the pain of their loss and doing all the things we do in support of our people on the ground in far away places protecting us , they have only to draw attention and spout off at the mouth more often than not with lies .
Ironglow I neither know you or your grandson , but feel you both are "good people " please thank him for his service , as it is a debt that can never be fully repaid !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline magooch

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 03:34:53 AM »
Ironglow, salute your grandson for all of us and then give him a huge hug.  He is a hero in my eyes.
Swingem

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 04:04:17 AM »
ironglow, tell your Grandson that we are thankful to him for serving our country. Without our military, we wouldn't have a country at all.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline DDelle338

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 04:51:35 AM »
  Ironglow, Glad to hear he's coming home safe.
                Give him a "Semper Fi" from me.
Life's a Bitch, But the puppies are cute.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 06:16:31 AM »
Glad to hear he is coming home safe. Please tell him we appreciate his service to his country!!!  :)
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 07:49:42 AM »
  Thanks Guys;

And thank you Hardertr, for your service. We know you have children and that makes for extra strain.
   May God bless you for your service and preserve and protect your loved ones back home !

ironglow
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 08:41:10 AM »
Tell him thank you for me.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 01:21:03 PM »
   He just re-enlisted..Once a Marine, always a Marine..I guess..

It looks like he He will be spending at least a couple years at Parris Island, working his MOS of armorer (gunsmith) and probably will, among other things, be instructing newer Marines in martial arts (kickboxing etc)..

Below; my most recent pic, taken at his base near Fallujah..

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 12:33:11 PM »
Glad your Grandson is coming home.  And that he is coming home safe.  I'm sure his family will be happy. 

My son has been over there for three months now and we don't hear a lot from him.  His mission is to build a bridge and a hospital, and since he is a welder we know he is busy.  The way the wife and I look at it is "No news is good news".  We're both prior service ourselves.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 04:20:47 PM »
Sourdough;
   Do you know where he is located in Iraq ? Is he Army or Marines ?
  Generally speaking, the Army is Babil, Baghdad and north  hardly anybody at all in the Kurdish areas. The MArines are basically Al Anbar province, which includes such towns as Ramadi and Fallujah.

Hoping to ease your mind a bit...If your son is building bridges, chances are he has a fairly large perimeter of "overwatch" around..that is armed guards.

Al Anbar is much quieter now than it was just 6 months ago..the surge is working..which includes the brilliance of Gen Petraeus in "winning the hearts and minds" of the people.
  Baghdad is still abit sticky, but much better than it was.

Seems like the biggest danger would be an outbreak of " Pelosie's war"..

The surge has been working remarkably well, ...thus, some of the Democrats in Congress would like to see it fail, they couldn't stand to see this phase of the war on terror succeed, so they introduced a new bill in Congress..condemning Turkey for an act of terror they committed almost a century ago. Never mind that such a measure has been passed twice before.
  They realize that the PKK, a small Khurdish Communist, terrorist organization is trying the patience of Turkey..so one of the best ways of stirring up trouble and perhaps getting Iran & Syria involved was to introduce just such a measure .
   The fact that Turkey has allowed us to fly and transport supplies from their territory..and could cut such convenience off..is another challenge.

Pelosie, warned and knowing full well what could happen, introduced the bill anyway..knowing it could directly cost more American lives...
    Surely she will do ANYTHING to see Bush fail somehow...Hopefully, something will be worked out diplomatically and our alliance with Turkey can be made stronger..

Also, take heart in Osama bin Ladin's cryl for help from malcontents in Iraq..he was actually "crying uncle"..

In any case, thank your son for me..he is one of the real heroes of freedom, and a member of perhaps the best motivated, best trained and most professional military this nation has ever fielded !

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 05:46:03 PM »
Ironglow:  My son is a Navy SEA-BEE.  He is doing one project in Kuwait, and the other in Baghdad.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 06:28:04 PM »

Sourdough;

The Seabees (CBs) "construction Battalions" of the Navy are very effective and part of the new, very professional military..my hat is off to your son !

The situation with turkey COULD work out for the better..If the Iraqis take care of their own internal troublemakers..the PKK. it could be a rallying point to help unite the three seperate factions of the new Iraq !
  The project in Baghdad is a bit trying, but the one in Kuwait should be a comparative "cake walk"...Bases in Kuwait have almost all the comforts of home, in a fairly friendly country..

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 08:50:33 AM »
Yea, the PPK is probably using some of the guns I gave the Kurds during the first Gulf War.  We gave them the guns,so they could fight Saddam.
What Is A Veteran?