Author Topic: Castle Doctrine Success?  (Read 673 times)

Offline jsoukup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Castle Doctrine Success?
« on: October 19, 2007, 02:17:24 PM »
Sept 1 Texas passed a Castle Doctrine law which basically says if you're in house or your car, you have the right to defend yourself and your property without retreat. Now around Dallas in the last 45 days, there have been 5 shootings (that I know of) where the bad guys got theirs.

Three guys tried to rob an unarmed security guard who pulled a rifle out his car and got 2.

Another old guy with a welding shop (where he also lives) got two in three weeks with a shotgun. The poor old guy had to go buy a third shotgun because the police hold the weapon as evidence until the grand jury decides the case. Some local reporter ambushed him on his way home from the gun shop and asked if he was trigger happy. She has been suspended from the news station.

Another guy shot one earlier this week when the guy broke into his house stealing tools. (He had been robbed before.)

Police declined to file charges, but the grand jury still has to hear the cases.

Is this a turning point? Still not enough to balance out the number of innocent people killed by criminals, but is society making a dent?

Offline Dusty Miller

Re: Castle Doctrine Success?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 02:52:59 PM »
Well, it sure do look like things are headed in the right direction! :D
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 03:27:58 PM »
This has been the case for many years here in Texas.  Most Grand Juries would not push the issue when an individual was defending them self, their family, or protection their property.  There were exceptions, but mostly in BIG CITY Texas. And most often, if the individual did make it to court it was hard to find a jury that would find them guilty.

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 06:16:50 AM »
I am glad to hear about the right of people to defend themselves in Texas.  My big concern is that I plan to move to Austin, Texas within the next year and I have heard that there are alot of liberals in the area, would I have trouble defending myself compared to Houston or Dallas?   

Offline Timmer

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 10:59:31 AM »
It has always amazed me on how many criminals are "repeat" offenders. Taking out one will reduce the crime in an area as much as 99%. They finally caught the burglar in my area (over 20+ houses burgled in 2 years) and all that type of crime stopped immediately.   

Offline jsoukup

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 03:47:49 PM »
I am glad to hear about the right of people to defend themselves in Texas.  My big concern is that I plan to move to Austin, Texas within the next year and I have heard that there are alot of liberals in the area, would I have trouble defending myself compared to Houston or Dallas?   

I consider Austin to be the San Francisco of Texas. Sure it's still Texas and it's still conservative, but if there's a pocket of lib's, it's Austin.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 03:15:05 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong but----
The Castle law had nothing too do with the right---it protects from further lawsuits if there are no charges or if the shootings are found justifiable.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 05:37:47 AM »
Williamlayton.  The Castle law provides the authority to use deadly force on a home intruder, car jacker without the necessity of retreating as in the previous laws.  Prior to Sept 1 2007, if a bugler entered your home and there was a means of escape, under the law you were obligated to leave the area.  Even then, if you perceived the individual to be a threat to your personal safety you could shoot, and likely there would not have been charges.  Today you are not bound, by law, to retreat.  You can stand and defend what is yours.  Even under the old law, area had a lot to do on whether or not a person would be charged, and a big part in conviction if they were charged.

jsoukup.  Historically, Austin has been a very liberal city, it is recognized as the sanctuary city of Texas for illegal immigrants, and has a fairly high crime rate.  Even under current law I might be hesitant to shoot for fear of the liberal juries in that area.  Several years ago I attended a class at the U.of Texas and stayed in the Howard Johnson Motel on I35 a few miles North of town.  I wasn't in the room the night it happened, but several armed men entered and went from room to room robbing people, I don't think they were ever caught.  I always carried a firearm when traveling, even before the Texas CCW, and made it a point to take it out of my vehicle and up to the room with me every night for the remainder of my stay.

Offline jsoukup

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 06:44:58 AM »
jsoukup.  Historically, Austin has been a very liberal city, it is recognized as the sanctuary city of Texas for illegal immigrants, and has a fairly high crime rate.  Even under current law I might be hesitant to shoot for fear of the liberal juries in that area.  Several years ago I attended a class at the U.of Texas and stayed in the Howard Johnson Motel on I35 a few miles North of town.  I wasn't in the room the night it happened, but several armed men entered and went from room to room robbing people, I don't think they were ever caught.  I always carried a firearm when traveling, even before the Texas CCW, and made it a point to take it out of my vehicle and up to the room with me every night for the remainder of my stay.

I understand what you mean about Austin. I went to school at A&M, so "tu" was refferred to as "that hippie school in Austin".  Before CCW, I too would carry a handgun in my car while "traveling" and keep it in my motel room. Never wanted to get stranded on the side of the road without one, or spend the night in a hotel without one.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 12:08:13 PM »

Move to one of the cities just outside of Austin.  Cedar Park, Leander, and Round Rock are still good options and you're close enough to Austin to work and enjoy the good things about Austin.  Yes there are plenty of tree-hugging libs in Austin; not to mention plenty of rainbow people.

IMO, the law is the law and as a resident of Texas you should be covered.  When I have to go into Austin I still carry with confidence.