Author Topic: Nikon 3x9 problems  (Read 658 times)

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Nikon 3x9 problems
« on: October 20, 2007, 06:17:41 AM »
When I first bought the 3x9 Prostaff I really liked the optics. I could and still can make out bullet holes with it set on 6x at 100 yards.  I bought this scope 3 years ago and it's first job was an Elk hunt in Wyoming. I  sighted it in no problems and got really fine accuracy from my 270. I fly to Wyoming and check my sight in. The bullets are hitting 6 inches high. Baggage handlers I think. I click it down into position but have several fliers out to between 1 and 2 oclock and one at 6. HMMMM. We go elk hunting and I get one but not as neatly as I would have liked. I get back to Texas and check my sight in before my deer hunting starts. An almost exact rerun of my sight in check after the flight to Wyoming. I pull the scope off and put on a Leupold 4x for deer season and ship the Nikon off to Nikon.  I got it back several weeks later and didn't put it back on a rifle till May of this year. The rifle is a worked over 7MM RM, an extremely accurate rifle. I did some load workup using 160 and 175 grain bullets with no problems and sighted the rifle in. No real problems. I decide to use 140 grain Partitions so back to the range. Same exact pattern and the scope won"t repeat. So back to Nikon it goes. I don't have an extra Leupold so I am putting a new Bushnell Banner 3x9 on it. The history of this scope is not good.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline flintlock

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Nikon 3x9 problems
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 03:24:27 PM »
I hate to hear that...I sighted in a 30-06 for a buddy last week, that's what he put on it...I've got 3-4 guys that have recently bought either the ProStaff or the BuckMaster....

I haven't bought a scope in 5-6 years, it is good to have a backup, a buddy or mine fell on his rifle a few years back....I pulled a 3x9x33 Leupold Compact off my .22, that's what he used on his Model 7, .260 that year, funny thing is, that scope fit his rifle better than the larger one...I do remember he killed one deer right at the end of legal shooting light, so it worked out for him...

I hope they figure it out this time, good luck...

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Nikon 3x9 problems
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 04:02:05 AM »
I've got a Nikon 3-9 prostaff on my marlin 30-30.  It's held up for me pretty good, but I baby it and a 30-30 doesn't have brutal recoil on scopes.  I also have a Nikon 6-18 buckmaster on a 223 and it's a good scope too.