Author Topic: What is the percentage of good versus bad Taurus handguns?  (Read 38026 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
What is the percentage of good versus bad Taurus handguns?
« on: October 20, 2007, 06:57:24 AM »
Some people have had good luck with Taurus handguns, many have not.  I wonder what the percentage is of good versus bad?  This would include revolvers with slightly out of time cylinders and bad triggers.

If 90% percent are good when they leave the factory, while poor, it might explain why I keep seeing gun dealers carrying this brand at the shops and the gun shows.

Is Taurus still using soft steel? 

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: What is the percentage of good versus bad Taurus handguns?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 07:25:42 AM »
Their guns seem to hold up just fine..  I put teeth rattlers through all of my taurus guns, and they do just fine.  Most peoples complaints are about tolerances that are off, or operational issues.

I think that if most would take my advise and go over a gun more thoroughly, then they wouldn't have so many problems.  There are so many people complaining about lock up and triggers and cycling - all of which you can see at the shop before you buy.  I guess people have those hundreds of dollars burning holes in their pockets and need to pick up the first thing that looks pretty. 

The last taurus that I bought... I probably passed on about five guns before I settled on the 605, because the others had slight issues that turned me away, and I found a tight, smooth revolver, that has proven to be a great little gun.

People shouldn't be afraid to beat up a gun a little bit while trying it out, jerk it around, snap it off a bunch of times, and pay attention while you are doing it.  If the guy at the gun shop tells you to be careful - leave.  He should understand that you aren't going to take a lemon off of his hands.  If you aren't really experienced with too many revolvers, take a friend who knows how a really good revolver feels when in use, and they can tell you what they think, and if they see any problems. 

In the last few years, I've invested over $2,000 in taurus, and I feel my investment is retaining value.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 03:01:21 PM »
I only have one Taurus, a PT 1911, it's been 100% reliable. Want a 24/7 OSS, but I'll be dead before they release them.......... :(

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 03:22:12 PM »
That is for sure one thing about taurus.... they will put out word... so people start talking... and talking... and get tired of talking... and then another word from taurus... and some talking.. and more talking.... until something finally comes out... 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 04:15:37 PM »
 I have a blue 4" model 66 357Mag that I have shot numerous loads through that were hot enough to nearly rattle my teeth and did spank my hand pretty hard, but it just took it and is as tight and ready as the day I picked it up from the dealer.  I hear others who have sworn off of owning Taurus but I will have to someday maybe get another one just to see for myself. :P

Offline whiskey101

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 04:38:04 PM »
I've owned 4 Taurus revolvers. All have been jam up. Zero problems.

1 - 9 shot .22LR
2 - 85 CHULT .38's
1 - small frame .357 605?

Sorry I am not good with the model numbers, but they all shot well, good triggers, no timming issues. All were shot a fair bit. I will buy another.
"So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out into the street."

Offline warrior1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 11:21:40 AM »
i've had no issues with my 627 4"(recently traded),460 6", 441 6", ragin bull 6 1/2 " 454.
the only glitch was the rear sight on the 441, taurus sent new one within week.
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.

Offline His lordship.

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 01:15:37 PM »
It sounds like they have improved their quality control.  As I once owned 4 of them, it has been interesting the last few years to see the angry people who have gone through so much trouble with their quality and bad customer service.

Still, I sure see alot of them new in the box for sale at the gun shows...this has been mystifying me as why would a dealer carry them if they were dreadful.

I remember back around 2003 when Remington was having problems too, with quality and poor customer service.  Have not heard anything bad about them lately.

Offline tomf52

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 03:57:23 PM »
Handled a Taurus .32 H&R Mag at the dealer just yesterday. Lightweight snubby model. The cylinder latch would not hold the cylinder in place. Will stick with my Smith's thank you.

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 04:32:51 PM »
Smith had the same problem with a batch of their .500's........  Don't bash em because of one gun....

Offline zasxcd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 08:42:58 PM »
My first experience with a Taurus is when I bought a used 941 in .22 Mag, blue 6", open sights. First time I took it to the range, it shot most ammo well, but the Winchester 40gr. Dynapoint would put 8 shots into 3/8" at 25 yards. I was impressed.

About a year after that, based on my experience with the 941, I found a used 94 stainless in .22 LR, 5", open sights. During my first visit to the range, the rear sight broke (on its own, the gun was not dropped). Got that fixed under "warranty", from the shop where I bought it. After I got it back, went to range several times with it, not impressed with the groups at 25 yards, they went anywhere from 3" to 6". Took it with me up north during a camping trip, was out in a gravel pit shooting beer cans, the transfer bar broke. It is currently in another gun shop awaiting parts to repair it, and when it is fixed, it will be for sale (this is NOT an ad!). In the meantime, I bought a S&W Model 63 in stainless, 5", to replace it. As my pistol "working collection" is almost complete, there is no reason for me to consider another Taurus.

Anyone interested in the stainless 94 .22 LR, PM me.
NRA Life Member

Offline His lordship.

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 12:25:24 PM »
I read some stuff on Taurus made guns on Rimfire central, and they also pointed out the soft steel that is still used, at least on guns made 2 years ago.  No, I won't be buying a Taurus.

The only person I know who did well with a Taurus is my sister who bought one in 1996.  She wanted a simple and cheap gun that she could use for home defense.  I recommended at the time that she get a stainless steel short barreled .357 magnum in a medium frame for all-around use, as I also used to have 4 Taurus guns myself.  She has not shot the gun in 8-9 years, and it worked just fine the 3 times we took it out to the range.  So, if it sits in a closet for decades, Taurus guns can work.

Offline coop2564

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 07:40:17 AM »
I've only had one but its been great a .41 mag RB. Love it.
Browning Illusion Bow
Omega Thumbhole .50_NEF Huntsman .50
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 08:00:24 AM »
Based SOLELY on my personal experience it's been about 50-50 good vs. bad. Dunno how that relates to total production.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 5knives

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 09:41:46 PM »
Can only comment on Revolvers, all purchased in the '90's.

Looking to replace a literally worn out pair of M-19 Smiths, (Too many years of teeth rattling handloads) I found that the Taurus I looked at were as tight and in both cases smoother than corresponding S&W's. Plus I was able to find 2 M-66 Taurus with the 3" bbl's I preferred.

They turned out so well that I ended up with a 4" M-66 a 6" M-66, a .22lr M-666(? my son claimed it 5 years ago) and an 85CH, new on the market then.

Never a single problem with any of them except the 85CH. Occasional failure to fire, back to the factory, had it back in 3 weeks. Same problem.  Dealer told me the 2" barrel models had to be imported with longer bbls. and then re worked in the States, and that there had been some problems with the snubbies. I promptly sold it.

Then in shopping, borrowing and shooting other snubbies with transfer bars, I discovered something about my shooting habits. They ALL regardless of brand gave me occasional failures to fire.  Turns out that I had a habit with the J" frames and similar of releasing the trigger too soon, transfer bar dropped and yup, failure to fire. I didn't do it with the "K" frames only the smaller frames.

Probably never was anything wrong with the 85CH, just me.

The others have given exemplary service and have held up just fine with somewhere around 10-12,000 rounds of factory level loads through each.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,
:)

Offline blackbear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 05:51:05 AM »
I have switched from Smith & Wesson to Taurus. I have never had a problem with Taurus revolvers, never owned a Taurus pistol. Quality and dependability are excellent. I guess that is why the have lifetime warranty.
Teach a kid to shoot, hunt and vote.

Offline nilescoyote

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 11:10:21 PM »
I have had two, one was the beretta 92 clone (9mm)  and the other was a model 85 snub nose 38spl. I had problems with both. The 9mm had been assembled with a slide that had not been hardened properly. I had fired maybe 200 rounds through it before the breach face looked like some one had taken a sledge hammer to it. factory fixed it free. after it came back all was well for about 2 years untill the firing pin broke. again the fix was free but that was it for me and this gun and I traded it away. The 85 was fine for several thousand rounds and very accurate. Was able to hit a 10x11 inch steel  plate time after time at 50 and 100 yards after making a painted scale on the front sight for elevation holds. The problem I had with it was the trigger would lock up and jam. the only thing that would unjam it was to open the cylinder up, which would then free up the trigger for a few more rounds. Again the fix was free but in the mean time I found a S&W 36 snub nose and traded to it.  This all took place 10+ years ago. They may have improved since then. But I have not bought any more Taurus's since. I believe that I just shoot to much and these hand guns are not up to the high round count I expect from them. My H&K, S&W's, Kahr's, Springfield and Glocks have all digested 10's of thousands with out any thing braking. The H&K usp and Glock 35 both have 60,000 plus through them with nothing more than recoil springs replacement for preventative maintenance. I do alot of action style matches (uspsa, idpa, steel, bowling pin) thus the reason for the high round counts and reload my own ammo to keep the ammo prices down.

Offline BAGTIC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 06:29:21 PM »
That is for sure one thing about taurus.... they will put out word... so people start talking... and talking... and get tired of talking... and then another word from taurus... and some talking.. and more talking.... until something finally comes out... 

I never realized that Taurus was a subsidiary of Ruger.

Offline BAGTIC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 06:30:26 PM »
I have over a dozen Taurus, revolver and pistol and have never had any problems.

Offline sherpa

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 03:32:36 PM »

3 of mine
IF I HAD KNOWN I WAS GOING TO LIVE THIS LONG I WOULD HAVE TAKEN BETTER CARE OF MYSELF.

Offline roger460xvr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 03:52:09 PM »
That's some fine looking revolvers there sherpa.

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 05:10:42 AM »
My first Taurus was a blue Model 66 .357 4".   this was my pig gun for 10 years loaded with hot 180 gr cast lead.   This gun took a beating and never got out of time or lost its accuracy.   I gave it to my wife when I bought a SRH.   

My other Taurus is a Model 94, .22LR with 4" barrel.   This little gun I have used weekly for the past 17 years.   I have shot thousands of rounds through it without a hitch.  I had a leading problem about 10 years ago that affected accuracy until I gave it a good cleaning.  My friends at camp have been so impressed with this little 9 shot that four of them also purchased the Model 94.   Of the four, three are excellent shooters.   The fourth, took his back because it would not shoot any kind of group.   We all use the same kind of ammo with similar results except for this one lemon.

Overall I am extremely impressed with my Taurus' as are my friends, save one.   So I guess my percentage would be 1 in 6.   
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline SlimPigguns

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 03:48:54 AM »
Before I bought my first Taurus(.44m), I asked a couple of club members opinions and they were positive recommendations. I was not disappointed, and it broke my heart when I had to sell it due to Australian regulations of over .38 calibre handguns. I replaced it with an 8 shot .357m and am very happy with it. Today I placed a deposit on a 4in .357 Tracker. If it is as good as my previous revolvers I will be very happy - Pete
Keep on Shooting!
Queensland AUSTRALIA

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 05:24:10 AM »
  I have an old Taurus Model 80 .38 (now the mod 82) that still works just fine. It was bought in 1977. It still serves as a nightstand gun for home defense. I ran 234rds through it back in October and it did just fine. I keep the loads standard pressure, because IMHO, that is all you need. Though it did handle some +P loads in the past for testing purposes without a problem. The only problem I have ever had with Taurus is the time I called them with a question and their office in Miami answered the phone "Hello". That was just unprofessional.

Offline AtlLaw

• Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 02:30:46 PM »
I'll let you know pretty quick.  I ordered a medium frame Tracker 2" 44 mag today!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2008, 08:10:09 AM »
I had a stainless Taurus .357 mag in the middle 90"s. It was all you could ask for. I sold it as it blew my ears off without muffs. (I was shooting at a running coyote in Wyoming and I shot a bear in Idaho with it.)
  Yesterday, I ordered a 94SS-5 to replace my semi .22 as I'm having hand eye problems due to an accident and heart attack I think it will be simpler to use. I believe they are excellent revolvers.
    Is it really true they are connected to Ruger somehow ?

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2008, 03:46:15 PM »
I believe the connection with Taurus and Ruger is the transfer bar safety mechanism.   Ruger had problems with its first generation single action revovers being able to touch off a round if dropped .....the new and improved version included the transfer bar.   Ruger has it on their double actions as well.   And I believe they still pay a licensing fee to Taurus.   

I still have my SSmodel 94.  It has actually gotten more accurate over the years.   Always goes bang and easy to operate.   I won't get rid of it ever.
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2008, 11:29:08 AM »
 Broken hearted ! I ordered one and paid for it. Then the dealer called and said he could"t get any from his supplier but he would try some other places. He has my money, I don"t have a gun and I was hoping to shoot this weekend. Darn my bad luck !  I was also told Tarus 94 was very diffult to get due to demand, so someone must like them.

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 04:24:24 PM »
I carry a 441 3" in .44 spl. I bet my life on it, I believe in it. I could own anything, and have a safe full of Colts and Smiths.
That's about all I can say. Mike
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA
Crabby conservative old fart

Offline Ifishsum

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 12:13:51 PM »
I've personally had experience with 7 different Taurus handguns - 5 revolvers and 2 brass chuckers.  Of those, one of them had a problem that required factory service (transfer bar issue).  That's 85% good to 15% bad, but that one is not really a bad one, it just had a problem (that should have been caught at the factory).  They fixed it and got it back to me in 6 weeks (door to door) and it's been great ever since.