Author Topic: What is the percentage of good versus bad Taurus handguns?  (Read 38036 times)

Offline Country Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: What is the percentage of good versus bad Taurus handguns?
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2008, 06:27:55 AM »
Got a Taurus 94  with 4' BBL. Last friday.( I contacted five dealers and they couldn"t get one,I got one off gunbroker.com" haven"t had a chance to try it yet but the double action is very hard and the serrated stuff on the hammer is rough on the thumb.

Offline Freightman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2008, 12:14:19 PM »
My Gaucho is a dog "NOT" will put 50 255 g bullets in a gopher head target at 25 yds. Had a 66 traded it off wish I hadn't had a 2" 357 the only thing wrong with it is after a box of 357 mag ammo your hand hurt for a week.

Offline UNCLEDOUGIE

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2008, 09:03:45 PM »
I've stayed away from Taurus revolvers, prefering S&W's consistent quality.  Today I succumbed to the siren song of the .45 auto and bought the Taurus 1911.  The reason:  MIM and CNC manufacturing, in-house heat-reating, and 100% developed, produced, and assembled by Taurus.  Plus, I have heard only positive things about this peestole.  The odds are that this is probably the best NEW over-the-counter .45 to come along for the reasons mentioned.

I think Taurus did everything possible to produce a flawless .45.  The S&W 1911 .45 is also excellent, but I think that the Taurus will be more reliable--it's a lot less expensive than the S&W .45 too!

I think I've minimized the chances of a lemon about as much as humanly possible.  We'll see. 

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 05:53:06 AM »
Got my 94 ss. It feels,looks and shoots great. After I worked it a while every thing smoothed out. I shot a bear once in Idaho with a model 66 (I think) .357. Had good luck with that one also.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2008, 10:52:14 AM »
I have three Gaucho revolvers and I love them all!  I've also had a PT111 and the little .22 semi auto with the tip up barrel.  I used to amaze my friends with that one, shooting tin cans at 25 yds.  Fun!!!  All have been good guns and I have been pleased with all of them.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline David D.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2008, 03:53:57 PM »
I've purchased 4 Tarus revolvers and out of the four, two were returned. Thats 50/50 not good!!!! I will NEVER buy another!
Dave D.

Offline 2slow

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2008, 04:42:44 AM »
I had a PT111 Mil Pro.  Never had a single issue.  Only gun I've traded away that I've missed.  My buddy has the same gun and he's never had an issue with his either.  My dad has a .357 and a .44.  Both shoot well and have good triggers.  4 out of 4 for the one's I've had personal experience with.  I wouldn't hesitate to by a Taurus.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2008, 04:56:10 AM »
My personal experience is limited but out of three, a Gaucho, a PT92, and a PT1911, I have had no problems. I like them all, especially the PT1911. My grandson has a PT1911 and it has had no problems. My son-in-law has had two PT92's. The first was stolen and he replaced it with another. No problems with either. The two PT1911's have shot only handloads, both round nose and semi wadcutters, and never failed to fire. They all just shoot, every time.

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2008, 07:45:28 AM »
I have only one Taurus, the Judge.
I have had it now for about five weeks and I have shot more than 500 rounds through it.
I have absolutely no complaints with it. It will hold the 9 ring at 25 yards just like my 25, 19, and 52 S&W will and the .44 Colt Anaconda will.
Well the 52 does better than 9 ring, lol.
It has a good feel and carries good.
I like it.

LP
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2008, 09:43:52 AM »
I've owned two model 608 357 mag revolvers and both had to get a spring replaced that got crushed, so that would be 100% of their guns need work.

Offline Hammer1

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2008, 04:02:53 PM »

Have owned six double-action Taurus revolvers -- all 44 or larger.

Two built umpteen years ago were unreliable.

The four newer ones are good.

Offline blackbear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2008, 04:28:41 AM »
Never had a problem with a Taurus as an instructor or as a Taurus owner. No manufacturer has 100% customer satisfaction (especially S&W ) but Taurus runs very close both from the research I have done, and my personal experience.
Teach a kid to shoot, hunt and vote.

Offline poppie

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2008, 01:25:46 PM »
I have a blue 4" model 66 357Mag that I have shot numerous loads through that were hot enough to nearly rattle my teeth and did spank my hand pretty hard, but it just took it and is as tight and ready as the day I picked it up from the dealer.  I hear others who have sworn off of owning Taurus but I will have to someday maybe get another one just to see for myself. :P
-------------We have the same gun,had mine for 20 year's last april,FLAWLESS!!!!!.

Offline poppie

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2008, 01:38:49 PM »
I only have one Taurus, a PT 1911, it's been 100% reliable. Want a 24/7 OSS, but I'll be dead before they release them.......... :(
----------- I have both the PT 1911 & the 24/7 OSS in .45,the reason,my 20 year old model 66 4" in .357 has been FLAWLESS as have been the1911 & the OSS,sorry I can't say the same thing for the Springfield micro .45 that I traded for the OSS even up!!!!!!,talk about JAM'S,was glad too be rid of it,how ever my personal carry is a S&W J frame 642 airweight in .38,if anyone has one get the hogue monogrip's,the hard plastic factory grip's suck.

Offline omcforever

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2008, 02:23:18 AM »
I have a 608 4 inch blued/608 6 1/2 inch stainless/M44 6 1/2 inch stainless/669 6 inch blued and love em. M44 has dropped numerous Carolina and Ohio whitetails with 240 grain soft points with 23.8 Grains of H110 and still tight. If you want a porsche, pay the bucks and keep it in the garage and admire it or buy a chevy and park it in the driveway and use it! I own a 686 L frame/model 29 and they are good guns also  just pricey in my opinion.(no one has mentioned that SW had to modify its M29 with an endurance package in the late 70's or early 80's because they where not holding up to magnum loads very well and designated them model 29-E/alot of 29's where made prior to the endurance mod that where rattled loose and had to be rebuilt or relegated to mid to low power loads).My smiths  are early 80's vintage and my Taurus range from 1991 to 2008 vintage and are nice,not show pieces but nice and functional.
FIELD ARTILLERY----------KING OF BATTLE----------USAFATC
                      FORT SILL OKLAHOMA
                       JAN 1979 - APR 1991
                          ARMY VETERAN

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2008, 10:02:12 AM »
So it seems that in this thread taurus owners seem pleased with the function of their weapons, and there are a few problems out there. 

Sounds like they don't have a much worse track record than other arms companies.

Out of my current guns -

I own one henry - had the send it back for a firing pin problem. 100% problem rate

I own two rugers - had to send one back for a shaving problem.  50% problem rate

I own one browning - had to send it back for a broken sight rail.  100% problem rate

I own one mossberg - Never had a problem. 0% problem rate

I own one CZ - had to send it back for a cracked stock.  100% problem rate

I own three taurus - had to send one back for an over turned barrel, and had to work on one myself for a hammer pin retaining washer that slipped out of place.  66% problem rate

I own four remmys.  Never had a problem. 0% problem rate.  Maybe they should start making revolvers.  ;)

I'm sure that my experience is different from others out there.  But don't go pointing fingers. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2008, 03:32:13 AM »
So it seems that in this thread taurus owners seem pleased with the function of their weapons, and there are a few problems out there. 

Sounds like they don't have a much worse track record than other arms companies.

Out of my current guns -

I own one henry - had the send it back for a firing pin problem. 100% problem rate

I own two rugers - had to send one back for a shaving problem.  50% problem rate

I own one browning - had to send it back for a broken sight rail.  100% problem rate

I own one mossberg - Never had a problem. 0% problem rate

I own one CZ - had to send it back for a cracked stock.  100% problem rate

I own three taurus - had to send one back for an over turned barrel, and had to work on one myself for a hammer pin retaining washer that slipped out of place.  66% problem rate

I own four remmys.  Never had a problem. 0% problem rate.  Maybe they should start making revolvers.  ;)

I'm sure that my experience is different from others out there.  But don't go pointing fingers. 

The Remington revolvers that I've seen were well made powerful pieces, and would imagine had the powers that be at Remington able to see into the future, they would have kept up production.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA
Crabby conservative old fart

Offline docmagnum357

• Avid Poster
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2008, 02:21:41 PM »
I just bought a nearly new Taurus model 94 at a local pawn shop.I teach CCw calsses, and it is for a student loaner.  It doesn't work.  When i got it, it would fail to light two or three out of nune rounds.  The trigger was so stiff on D/a that I doubt some of my female students could hit a barn eith it.  They would have to jerk the trigger to get the darn thing to go off.. I had the same problem another poster did about the darn thing not revolving unless i opened the cylinder.  the sights are tiny and very hard to see.  They are way out of regulation, ei the barrel needs to be turned a few more degrees tighter, in order to have the sights anywhere near the mioddle of their travel when sighted in.  I am almost out of adjustment on the rear sight, all the way to one side, and just then sighted in at twenty feet.  Twenty five yards is out of the question. 

I could not get a wolff spring kit for the model 94, so i resored to the same "snip and stretch " I used to use on a Smith and Wesson.  I got the trigger pull down so that i can use it, but I still don't know about my female students. Somehow, this cured the problem with misfires completely. I found out that the cylinder rotation problem is caused by an extractor rod that is too short, and not pushing in far enough on the pin that is attached to the cylinder release catch.  I am going to try to find another extractor or ejector rod, whatever it is called.  then the PoS will get traded for th first adjustable sight J frame, or model 17 or 18 smith I can find.  You can bet your last dollar i will never gamble on  taurus again.  Apparently, you pay your money and take your chances.

Offline Blue Duck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2008, 10:37:34 AM »
I have two Tarus handguns that I have had for several years and have shot them alot.  No problems.

Offline Pochie

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2008, 12:27:33 AM »
I purchased a 1911 in June 2007. It jammed on the 3rd round. I dislodged it and then it jammed on the 32nd shot and I couldn't dislodge it. I took it to the dealer and they dislodged the round. I said I wanted it sent back to Taurus. Taurus wouldn't take the gun back. I took it home and shot it and it jammed on the 1st round...back to the dealer...they sent it back without receiving authorization. 6 weeks later I received the gun with a new barrell. I have put 967 rounds through this one with no jams. I am pleased with the gun but wary of the way Taurus didn't want to examine the new gun after I had jams with it. My first consideration in purchasing any firearm is the service I will receive when problems arise. I always check the Gun Directory website to read other shooter's opinions before I purchase.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2008, 09:15:17 AM »
If service is the first thing you look at.... how exactly did you end up buying a Taurus.  The internet if full of stories of bad service.  More so than most of the other companies.

Offline vincewarde

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2008, 02:30:18 PM »
One PT92 - I have 500+ rounds through it.  Zero problems.  I love it.
"Preach the Gospel at all times, when absolutely necessary - use words" St Francis
<><

Offline Robby

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2008, 10:31:09 AM »
THE JUDGE, PT111, 905 & PT22.  Rossi 461/357.

Lets see, I have had those over the last two years,  still have them all.  Gone thru tactical classes without failure.

Taurus did replace one mag that defective NIB.  0 failures to operate, an jams on the PT111 either.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2009, 05:06:23 AM »
Over the years I've owned four Taurus double action revolvers, 2 .357's, one .45 ACP and one .45 Colt. All were likely to misfire in double action work, a couple misfired even when thumb cocked. On the other hand, I have a Rossi 6" stainless .357 which has been reliable and the most accurate revolver I've ever owned. So for me it's been 80% bad, 20% very good. ;D
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2009, 09:43:48 AM »
So for those that say they had problems with their Taurus firearms, how many of you did not send yours in to Taurus to have them repair it for free.

I mean you do know they have a Unconditional Repair Policy for the Lifetime of the Firearm don't you?

http://www.taurususa.com/main/repair-policy.cfm

I find more people who complain about Taurus have done nothing to really correct the problems thru Customer Service.

Yep, I've seen a KB's with a Taurus revolver, even posted a picture here forwarning other about the gun or the ammo used.  But you know what, Taurus is replacing that .41 Magnum Tracker for free.

Oh by the way, that Unconditional Repair Policy check it out, and if you got a problem with Taurus call them.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2009, 10:03:43 AM »
So for those that say they had problems with their Taurus firearms, how many of you did not send yours in to Taurus to have them repair it for free.

I mean you do know they have a Unconditional Repair Policy for the Lifetime of the Firearm don't you?

I buy guns to shoot them, not wait 6 months for their customer service guys to get around to checking it out.

When I had problems with the two 608 357's that I had, I asked the gunsmith about sending them into Taurus.  He agreed that it'd be a free fix, but I'd have to wait until they were done with it and there's no telling how long that would take. 

What's the point of being all proud of your taurus gun that they'll fix it for free when they have it for six months out of the year and maybe it's fixed.  Most of the stories I've heard about their customer service have been about sending it back multiple times.  So you ask why wouldn't I send it back....  When my options are either $35 and it's fixed in a week or two, or send it to Brazil and hope for the best, I'll be paying the $35 to get the gun working again and get back to living my life instead of waiting around. 

To each their own though.  There's people out there that are happy to send guns back and then there's guys who learn their lessons after buying junk first, then just buy a Ruger and never worry about any of that stuff.

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2009, 11:18:55 AM »
Some guys have reported a fast turn around of even 6 days.... so I guess I will just have to wait and find out if  my 24/7 OSS needs any kind of repair to find out.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2009, 11:26:20 AM »
Yeah their repair policy is a bigger joke than their quality is. Been there done that and wow what a hassle. Ask Richard aka AtlLaw about it. He's still fighting with them over his many months later.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2009, 04:17:02 PM »
I don't want people to get me wrong here.  I hope everyone's Taurus handguns last forever without any problems.  I genuinely wish you the best of luck with them, but at the same time I hope you can benefit from knowing my misfortune I had with them.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2009, 04:50:22 PM »
Wow, I guess I have been lucky, or we are just hearing a lot from the squeaky wheels and less from the satisfied owners.  Bought my two polished SS 5 1/2" Gauchos new when they were discounted ($300 @).  One had a timing problem (cylinder holes didn't quite like up with the ejector cut in the frame) (and YES, I have had that same problem with a Uberti and an EMF) so I called them and they said send it in.  Three weeks later I have it back, problem fixed and even the trigger was smoother, and I have to say that all of the Gaucho's I have handled have had great triggers.  Then I bought a third, a very little used 5 1/2 blue at Jay's.  Took me a long time to get that one out, even though it was only $225.  I then found it to have a great action but the front sight was too short.  My others had a .335 high front sight and this .45 had a .300 (.357 mag hight) so it shot ridiculously high.  So sent that one off and it's back 4 weeks later.  They did not put a higher front sight on it, they changed the barrel so there wouldn't be any marring!  To say I am pleased would be an understatement.  Yes, Ruger will fix problems with their gun, but you will still have a less than great trigger and marks on your cylinder from the timing (or lack there of).  Ok, you say, I still sent two of them in out of the three.  Yes, but I could have fixed the timing problem (I did myself on the Uberti and EMF) but they offered to do it, so why not.  As for the front sight, had they not offered to fix that also, I would have cut the barrel to 4" (still might, it's my favorite length) and put on a Power front sight from Midway.  I still have to say I am happy with my Gaucho's and will buy another if and when the opportunity presents itself.  44 Man

You are never too old to have a happy childhood!