Author Topic: What is the percentage of good versus bad Taurus handguns?  (Read 38027 times)

Offline omcforever

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
Re: What is the percentage of good versus bad Taurus handguns?
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2009, 07:57:37 PM »
Had to send my 608 stainless in 2 weeks ago for a cylinder that would not latch. Checked with gunshop today and they said taurus is backed up 2-3 weeks on repairs and mine should be back in march per service dept,,,we will see....
FIELD ARTILLERY----------KING OF BATTLE----------USAFATC
                      FORT SILL OKLAHOMA
                       JAN 1979 - APR 1991
                          ARMY VETERAN

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2009, 01:58:04 AM »
I just bought a nearly new Taurus model 94 at a local pawn shop.I teach CCw calsses, and it is for a student loaner.  It doesn't work.  When i got it, it would fail to light two or three out of nune rounds.  The trigger was so stiff on D/a that I doubt some of my female students could hit a barn eith it.  They would have to jerk the trigger to get the darn thing to go off.. I had the same problem another poster did about the darn thing not revolving unless i opened the cylinder.  the sights are tiny and very hard to see.  They are way out of regulation, ei the barrel needs to be turned a few more degrees tighter, in order to have the sights anywhere near the mioddle of their travel when sighted in.  I am almost out of adjustment on the rear sight, all the way to one side, and just then sighted in at twenty feet.  Twenty five yards is out of the question. 

I could not get a wolff spring kit for the model 94, so i resored to the same "snip and stretch " I used to use on a Smith and Wesson.  I got the trigger pull down so that i can use it, but I still don't know about my female students. Somehow, this cured the problem with misfires completely. I found out that the cylinder rotation problem is caused by an extractor rod that is too short, and not pushing in far enough on the pin that is attached to the cylinder release catch.  I am going to try to find another extractor or ejector rod, whatever it is called.  then the PoS will get traded for th first adjustable sight J frame, or model 17 or 18 smith I can find.  You can bet your last dollar i will never gamble on  taurus again.  Apparently, you pay your money and take your chances.

My wife used my old M94 to qualify for her CCW and scored better than most of the people in her class both guys and girls so I guess your mileage may vary.  ;D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2009, 03:47:13 AM »
Out of the 5 that I have owned, I have not had a bad one yet.... so I really can not give a fair guess  ::)

Offline gunpilot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2009, 04:52:04 AM »
One Tracker 44 mag that froze up after 8 shots ( five 44 spl and three 44 mag Blazer factory ammo rounds) After that each shot would freeze up the trigger which would not pull back. Gunsmith thought it was the gap between the cylinder and barrel.  One Rossi 357 mag (made by Taurus) that after a few rounds the cylinder would just spin in the gun and not lock up.  = 100 % BAD

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2009, 05:46:09 AM »
I've only owned one. It is a Titianium wheelgun in 44 spl. I've shoved about 300 rounds down the throat with zero problems.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline TexSabre

« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2009, 02:49:09 AM »
I have had 2, a PT145 .45cal. and a Tracker .22LR no issues with either.  I have a friend who has a PT111 9mm, a .45/410 6” barrel revolver and a Tracker and he has never had an issue.

The only gun I have ever had to send back is a S&W 626 .44 Mag for a cylinder timing problem.  Smith fixed and returned the gun in less than 2 weeks.  The S&W WAS NOT THE PROBLEM. My son had bowered the gun and had dropped it thus braking something.

So for me Taurus has a 100% satisfaction rating.

Bill aka TexSabre

Offline EPD1102

« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2009, 12:01:35 PM »
I've owned two that I bought at the same time.  They have both been back to Taurus five times each for repair and they still aren't right.  I'll never buy another one. 
If you go to the Taurus Forums web site, TaurusArmed.com, you can find a LOT more horror stories BUT you have to be a member to read all the bad stuff.  The Complaints section and other similar sections aren't visible unless you're a registered member.  I guess they want to get you first before they let you know the truth.
On a poll on their own forums, over 40% of Taurus owners have had to return a pistol to customer service for repair.  SAD  >:(

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2009, 12:11:53 PM »
i have had 2 one good one bad - 50/50 not good odds when its your hard earned $$$$$$$$$$$
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline udtjim

« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2009, 09:24:40 PM »
I have had about 25 of them. I had trouble with one 38 special, Frame was not straight. They fixed that one quick and well. I had the 8 shot 357 that locked up. Sent it back, got it back, still locked up, went to dealer, got refund.

Offline Travis Morgan

• Classified -- Banned
  • Contributor
  • Hey hey hey!
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2009, 05:23:13 AM »
Some people have had good luck with Taurus handguns, many have not.  I wonder what the percentage is of good versus bad?  This would include revolvers with slightly out of time cylinders and bad triggers.

If 90% percent are good when they leave the factory, while poor, it might explain why I keep seeing gun dealers carrying this brand at the shops and the gun shows.

Is Taurus still using soft steel? 

Most people never go through more than one box of ammo.

My PT145 doesn't want to pop Winchester primers. Those same rounds worked just fine through my RIA 1911, but with the Taurus, I had to hit them up to 5-6 times to get them to go off, sometimes.
The first step towards liberty is an act of defiance!

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2009, 10:40:27 AM »
I have enjoyed good Taurus's and good customer service from them.  I have been wondering at some people inability to get their problem fixed might be communication.  I had a problem with one not lining up the cylinder with the loading gate.  Minor problem, I've had the same with a Uberti, and also with an Armi-san-marco built EMF.  But I called customer service to see what was happening and found that my gunsmith who returned the gun, only told them to 'repair as necessary' and they were confused.  My call straightened that out and my gun came back corrected and I'm very happy.  Thinking about some people's complaints, I wonder if a portion at least is just communication.  What is 'the gun locked up'?  Is it that the hammer won't cock?  The trigger won't return?  The bolt won't drop to allow the cylinder to turn?  These are specific problems and need to be addressed.  If I were sent a gun and it said 'cylinder locked up' and I tried it a few times and it worked, I'd return it as is also.  But if I were told that the  bolt wouldn't unlock the cylinder as I tried to cock the hammer, then there is something to look at and check functioning and specifications.  Just a thought.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Camo Camel Toe

« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2012, 09:09:37 AM »
taurus is 100% crap everyone i no that bought one had to send it back and 90% right after they took it home save yourself your time and money and go with something else like ruger one gun shop wont even carry them were im from because of the probs they have to deal with from customers trust me dont buy crap when you can follow your dog and pick it up for free.

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2012, 03:39:08 AM »
CCT, welcome.  Interesting user name. ;D   I have a 44 mag Tracker that the only issue was with the screw holding the cylinder release came loose.  A drop of loc-tite fixed that.  Picked up a Raging Bull in 41 Mag that I have not used yet, seems to function OK now, we will see how she works soon as I get some ammo loaded.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2012, 03:08:48 AM »
I have a 738 TCP and so does my dad, and they have both worked flawlessly. No returns, no complaints.

Offline Blue Duck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #74 on: February 29, 2012, 04:27:31 AM »
I have two Taurus handguns.  Both stainless, one a mod.94  .22 and the other a 605 in .357.  I have had them both for years and shoot them alot.  Never had a problem with either one.

Offline AndyHass

• A Real Regular
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2012, 04:58:29 PM »
I own 3, zero problems and a lot of rounds down the tubes.

I used to worry that I was just getting lucky and perhaps I should not buy another.  Then I saw a Smith I wanted and started doing some research.  Turns out there are as many...if not more...QC complaints on the Smith forum as on the Taurus forum.  Seems to me if you want to sleep at night with a revolver purchase, you need to buy a 20 year old Smith.  If you buy a new gun, all bets are apparently off and with Smith you're double the money into one.  I can't believe the amount of complaints about brand new Smiths with barrels that are canted from the factory.

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2012, 05:41:09 PM »
My own personal experience is 50%. I have owned two M-94s and a M-82. One of the M-94s and the M-82 had issues that made me want to sell them. The M-94, made in '92, that I have now is great. They got some of the bugs worked out since the first one I owned when they first came out with the stainless models. My ex-wife had an older M-66 that was a nice revolver. Thats two for two.
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2012, 04:31:30 PM »
I'm 100% good on the 2 I own one is brand new to me 41mag TI flawless fit and finish. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2012, 09:23:48 AM »
taurus is 100% crap everyone i no that bought one had to send it back and 90% right after they took it home save yourself your time and money and go with something else like ruger one gun shop wont even carry them were im from because of the probs they have to deal with from customers trust me dont buy crap when you can follow your dog and pick it up for free.

Welcome, punctuation can be helpful...
I've only had one 608, put about 6-700 rounds through it, combination of .38s and .357 without a problem. I scoped it and killed a big doe with it just to see if I could then traded it off.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline jimster

« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2012, 12:59:17 PM »
I don't have much experience at all with Taurus handguns, only one I ever bought was just recently, old model 82 Brazilian police type and it's pretty beat up and not pretty to look at.  It shoots great, timing is good and it shoots POA, I'm actually surprised it still works well.  If it ever breaks I'll probably throw it away unless it's super cheap to fix.  Don't know if Taurus would fix it or not if it broke.   But, as much as this one has been kicked around, it still works just fine.     

Offline PHATINJUN

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2012, 09:34:56 AM »
"taurus is 100% crap everyone i no that bought one had to send it back and 90% right after they took it home save yourself your time and money and go with something else like ruger one gun shop wont even carry them were im from because of the probs they have to deal with from customers trust me dont buy crap when you can follow your dog and pick it up for free."
 Maybe I should find the quotes from the S&W guys who say the same about the Rugers :o

Sounds like a guy who spends to much time leaning on the gun counter gettin all the gospel from guys who would much rather sell you the $900 gun than the $400 gun. I can pretty much here all the gospel of how junk H&R guns are. Any body that buys a gun that had ample oportunity to fully inspect the gun before he dropped the cash and walked out the door gets little simpathy from me. Even worse are the comments from those "who have read or I heard a guy say" As for me the 357 I had and the .41Ti I just got, the fit and workmanship is as good as or better than anything I have been able to inspect. Granted not one of those has ever had a price tag higher than 1K and I have no intrest in those for my purposes. And I have nothing againts those who enjoy them. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline jimster

« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2012, 10:45:51 AM »
Sounds like a guy who spends to much time leaning on the gun counter gettin all the gospel from guys who would much rather sell you the $900 gun than the $400 gun. I can pretty much here all the gospel of how junk H&R guns are. Any body that buys a gun that had ample oportunity to fully inspect the gun before he dropped the cash and walked out the door gets little simpathy from me. Even
worse are the comments from those "who have read or I heard a guy say" As for me the 357 I had and the .41Ti I just got, the fit and workmanship is as good as or better than anything I have been able to inspect. Granted not one of those has ever had a price tag higher than 1K and I have no intrest in those for my purposes. And I have nothing againts those who enjoy them. Kurt

That about sums it up really...I've owned lots of stuff and still so, Smiths, Colts, Rugers, Rossi's, H&R's, and one beat up Taurus now, too many to list....I'll buy anything I get to inspect if it's a decent price, and anything can break...I have sent more than one Ruger back to get fixed, not to mention a few other big names.  Anything can break...and some lower cost guns can run forever for some reason.  you pretty much take a chance with anything you can't inspect these days no matter who makes it, and anything can break no matter who makes it.

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2012, 01:04:43 PM »

Sounds like a guy who spends to much time leaning on the gun counter gettin all the gospel from guys who would much rather sell you the $900 gun than the $400 gun.

Sounds like a guy who doesn't have $900.    ;D
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline PHATINJUN

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2012, 04:58:43 AM »
"Sounds like a guy who doesn't have $900. ;D"

Not real sure if that was directed at me or not but... if it was .I got the $900 just can't justify it for my use. I do not target shoot I hunt and about any revolver I would be looking at owning at this point in my life probly would not ever get 1000 rounds down it. it might get used a half doz times in a yr. I got a couple of $1000 custom longbows that I will never be able to shoot again and with the economy the way it is couldn't sell them for 1/3 what I paid . As I said before I got no problem with the guys who enjoy and totally appreciate the high dollar custom or even the factory Smiths and Rugers and such. My problem lies with the blanket statements of I heard a guy say they are 100% junk. I could also see myself if I ever got into shooting targets or gettin bit by the revolver bug havin some of them gems.My old archery habits attest to my lack of self control. Like I said before if you walk out the door with a gun that you inspected and then have a problem with it's fit and finish you made the mistake not the Gun Maker. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline pspinc2003

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (21)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2012, 06:17:58 AM »

So, you have no firsthand experience with them whatsoever but are making a statement like this......Have you ever owned or fired a Ruger that you are recommending?  I have, and the LC9 I had had all kinds of issues, so I got rid of it.  Can you give me any more recommendations so I know what to get next?  I value your opinion or opinions you have heard from friends  ::)

Offline pspinc2003

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (21)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2012, 06:32:40 AM »
So for those that say they had problems with their Taurus firearms, how many of you did not send yours in to Taurus to have them repair it for free.

I mean you do know they have a Unconditional Repair Policy for the Lifetime of the Firearm don't you?

I buy guns to shoot them, not wait 6 months for their customer service guys to get around to checking it out.

When I had problems with the two 608 357's that I had, I asked the gunsmith about sending them into Taurus.  He agreed that it'd be a free fix, but I'd have to wait until they were done with it and there's no telling how long that would take. 

What's the point of being all proud of your taurus gun that they'll fix it for free when they have it for six months out of the year and maybe it's fixed.  Most of the stories I've heard about their customer service have been about sending it back multiple times.  So you ask why wouldn't I send it back....  When my options are either $35 and it's fixed in a week or two, or send it to Brazil and hope for the best, I'll be paying the $35 to get the gun working again and get back to living my life instead of waiting around. 

To each their own though.  There's people out there that are happy to send guns back and then there's guys who learn their lessons after buying junk first, then just buy a Ruger and never worry about any of that stuff.

I got a Taurus revolver back, fixed in less than 3 weeks, now a perfect shooter.
I sent a Ruger LC9 in, took them over 3 weeks to "fix", and it still has the same problem.
Guess Ruger isn't better than Taurus after all

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2012, 08:40:22 AM »
Since my last post I picked up a Tracker in 17HMR and it's a shooter for sure, once again flawless performance.
A couple days ago I bought a Judge UltraLite off a guy, hopefully this weekend I can check it out.

I know there's been some dudes out there, I just haven't had one.
Hopefully I never will.  ;D
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline PHATINJUN

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2012, 02:16:11 PM »
Old Fart a Tracker 17HMR is next on my list if they don't come with the 5mm pretty soon. Have you scoped yours ? Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2012, 08:56:51 PM »
I own one Taurus, a model 85 with 2" barrel five shot .38 Special.  I bought it new sometime in the mid 90's.  I have no clue how many rounds I've put through it, but on average I shoot 3,000 rounds per year through the various guns I own (long guns and handguns).  The model 85 is an all steel gun, and has never had an issue.  Is it perfect? No, and never has been.  If I wanted to nit pick, there is one chamber in the cylinder that while in time it is off time compared to the other four cylinders.  By that I mean when in double action mode on one chamber the cylinder locks into battery just as the sear breaks.  While the other four require about 1/16 of an inch more trigger travel for the sear to break.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2019, 04:51:10 AM »
btt

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!