Author Topic: new project : 28ga. walkabout gun  (Read 1176 times)

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
new project : 28ga. walkabout gun
« on: October 20, 2007, 07:08:07 AM »
I've been thinking of a short  light shotgun  I have a 28 ga. youth, so I'm going to order a synthetic adult stock and store arm from midway and  add a hi-vis  sight and nylon sling. I am working on  a 490 round ball in a shot cup load  with some success . shells are smaller than 20 or 12 and a couple of pumpkin ball slug  for a coyote  and I should be ready for a woods walk.
What do you think?
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: new project : 28ga. walkabout gun
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 07:30:35 AM »
I think you should check prices and shipping from H&R first, Midway's shipping is usually ridiculously expensive, toll free (866)776-9292. ;) There are other synthetic stocks that you may want to consider also.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,82422.msg504769.html#msg504769
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline yar62

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 08:35:58 AM »
Hey plumberroy I like that idea! I like the smallbore guns. I agree with quickdtoo, might find a better stock. Hows that 490 ball for accuracy? Good luck with it. yar62<><

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 06:51:04 PM »
I have not found midway to be higher than any where else on shipping plus the choate brand stock has sling swivel already on it plus I usually get any thing I order from midway in three  days everything I've ordered from n.e.f. has taken 10 to 18 day to get I don't like the feel of the tamer or survivor stock and true thumb hole stock don't work well with left  handers  the synthetic stock could hold a first aid kit in the hollow. i am getting some groups of around 4" at 40 yards  with the round balls
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 07:10:50 PM »
The H&R stocks are Choate brand, they make all of the H&R synthetic stocks. UPS shipping from Midway to me for the Tamer stock and storend forend is $9.54, H&R's shipping is almost half that at $5.50. I'd be happy to wait a few days to save half on shipping, of course if ya need it sooner, that's a different story. ;)

Tim

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 07:29:53 PM »
patients is not one of my virtues [lol]  up late tonight Quick ?  I'm just getting home from work
Roy

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 07:36:50 PM »
Naw, it's only 10:36pm here on the west coast, no work here either, I'm retired. :D

Tim

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 04:34:11 AM »
The adult synthetic stock and the storearm forend is a great combo. It's how I have my walkin' around gun set up. look at my avatar. I keep meaning to get together some 28 ga slugs. To many other projects right now. You can ordrer those stocks right from choate as well
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 06:40:29 AM »
Tim
I forgot you live on the left coast  It was 1:30 am here  I don't know about the "retired" part I just plain Tired.  sent  you an email
Roy

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 06:50:40 AM »
Reply sent.  ;)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 07:55:44 AM »
I have always wondered, which way does the 28ga lean more closely.  Is it closer in firepower to a 20ga or 410?  Since I like short barrels and the 28ga comes in a youth 22" I have given it some thought, but really don't know much about them.  Any comments on that, guys?

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 09:02:12 AM »
The 28 leans much closer to the performance of the 20 gauge. It is one of those special gauges that just seems to work. I think it's because with a 7/8 once payload it is what the Brits call a square load. I really can't tell the difference in performance within about 30- yards or so between the 20 and 28 gauge= except for the lighter weight and lively feel.
 It seems to me that the trend over the last 10 years  or so has been to hot rod the 20 gauge in to a 12 gauge lite while the 28 has been left alone. If it ain't broke don't fix it is my attitude about it.
 In my opinion the 28 gauge is the shotgun kids should learn on not the 410.

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
Re: new project : 28ga. walkabout gun update
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 07:09:14 AM »
I have my stock and forearm in and mounted I took it to the club with my thrower yesterday the longer stock make it a totally different gun  9 out of 10 on clay birds.  went for a walk this morning and this thing is a joy to carry I have ordered a but plate to replace  the recoil pad. did not get to use it on game today but that all right  this morning was more about sitting on a stump and enjoying a perfect fall morning I did discover that you can engage a bucks warp drive with a hickory nut and a flipjack 
Roy

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 07:21:08 AM »
I'm just a simple Delaware country boy so please pardon my ignorance,but what is a flipjack?
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 08:22:42 AM »
This born and bred New Englander would like to know what "flipjack" refers to also...Thanks....<><....:)

If you tell me what a "flipjack" is I will tell you what a "Gorby" is....  ;)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 08:41:03 AM »
Is that anything like a flapjack!! ;D

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2007, 08:45:09 AM »
I have owned a H&R 28 ga. for years now and love it.  And yes I agree the 28 should be what a young person learns on not a .410. I have taken squirrel and rabbit and grouse with my 28 ga  Now the shells may cost a little more but hey I can live with that.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 09:34:35 AM »
Boy, I could really go for a short stack of flapjacks right now with a side of corned beef hash, some home fries, a couple of slow fried eggs, real maple syrup, some home made Texas Toast with butter and a big cup of black coffee!!! Now you did it Tim, you made me hungry!!!....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 09:38:12 AM »
Man, that's sounds great, I haven't had flapjacks for a loooong time, maybe that's what I'll make for dinner tonight!! :D

Tim

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 10:26:02 AM »
Maybe some day we could all get together for the "Great Handi Rifle and Graybeards Family Meal"....<><....:)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2007, 10:26:48 AM »
Yeah, a shootout and cookout!! ;D

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2007, 10:30:15 AM »
OK, lets see, a multi day affair with camping out or motels nearby, a big flapjack breakfast one morning and a Pig Roast late afternoon, followed by a big campfire with a ring a chars with plenty of everyone favorite beverage, and lots of stories of course. Is that what heaven might be like?....<><....:)

P.S. - Tim, I reeally like your phrase "Shootout and Cookout", it sounds great!!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2007, 10:37:54 AM »
Yep, the Great Handiholic Shootout and Cookout, has a great sound to it!!

If we could only make it happen!!

I guess maybe it has, just not with that name, the P'dog shoot in Hooker, guess we need a regional thing so everyone can participate, something like Dale suggested, just need places and organizers. ;)

Tim

Offline Clodhopper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2007, 01:40:19 PM »
I am assuming that a "flipjack" is something similar to a slingshot.  A hickory nut becomes a lethal projectile when launched from a good slingshot!  Nothing funnier than watching a bunch of left coasters trying to crack hickory nuts that have been slipped into the nut bowl at Christmas time!

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2007, 06:46:25 PM »
flipjack is a slingshot, this little buck has a nice 6 point rack and is only 1.5 years old.  he came in looked at me decided I did not look like a threat, and started eating acorns  if he makes it to 4 or 5 he will be a good buck with behavior like that he won't make it through gun season  so as he fed I got out my flipjack all ready had the hickory nut in my hand grunted at him when he looked back .I shot him in the A$$  hopefully he learned a  lesson. I watched him for 15-20 minutes.
Roy

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2007, 02:36:59 PM »
Ok buddy I will hold up my end of the bargain. I may be late because the power just came back on. we lost it for about the last 26 hours as a result of a tree coming down over a major transmission line in the area. What a light show when it happened about 7 PM last night, the whole sky was illuminated as if a million flash bulbs went off and stayed lit for 3 to 5 seconds, it happened twice with both bright blue/white and red/orange lights, I could only think it looked like the end of the world, BRIGHT lights but no sound of an explosion or any noise with it. In the paper this morning I read about 39,000 people in the area lost power for differing amounts of time. It's good to have electricity again. My hunting trip has been put off a few days or a week, who knows now. Anyway, a "Gorby" is a Canadian Jay (similar to a bluejay), during the real cold months in Northern Maine they get to be real friendly and camp pets that will come right up close to you and even sometimes eat out of your hand. When there is 5 to 6 feet of snow on the ground and it's 20 to 30 degrees below zero at night there is not much food around and they get downright hungry and friendly when you go outside with a few treats for them. Nice to have company at camp too when they come by. So now you all know what a "Gorby" is, and I know what a "Flipjack" is....<><....:)

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2007, 06:59:30 AM »
As has been said many times you guys are a wealth of information. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"