Author Topic: Ultra Hunter Shooting High...  (Read 410 times)

Offline chad1043

• Trade Count: (3)
Ultra Hunter Shooting High...
« on: October 20, 2007, 05:01:53 PM »
So I scoped in my .243 Ultra hunter using 100 grain Remington tru-locks today and it was shooting way high. I have a Bushnell Sportsman and I had to set the slicker to the lowest setting. Way low to it to hit the target. This is at 100 Yards. I'm usually a pretty good shot, but I'm just getting into Handis, so is there anything I need to know? I have the scope on Leopold High rings.

Chad

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Ultra Hunter Shooting High...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 08:04:48 PM »
If you have the standard "ultra" scope base, does the forward set screw bear down on the barrel tightly? Maybe that is canting the base upward???
Mark

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 02:48:49 AM »
chad

Yep , GatCat is right , the front jack screw would be the first place that i'd look , if i remmember right there should be like .005 clearance between the barrel and the screw .

If that does not help the problem , you may need to pull the base off and lap it to the frame with some fine emroy cloth , and before you re-install the base make sure you clean all the old loc-tite out of the holes were the base screws down .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline sdb777

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 02:52:03 AM »
You could always look at it from a different angle?

Instead of having to purchase a 20MOA base for your rifle, you have one built in for those long range shots!

Scott (grass might be greener) B
Custom Cartridge pens available.....

Offline chad1043

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 04:13:00 AM »
Probably the problem. It's weird though. I had GM mount the scope and bore sight it(laser). He said it should be on the paper at 100 yards. It was not even close. So, I will have to shoot it like it is this season and check the base after the season is over. I plan on putting a 20 Gauge slug barrel on it for next year and use my Marlin 30-30 for above the rifle line next year anyways.

Thanks,
Chad

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 07:02:01 AM »
So I scoped in my .243 Ultra hunter using 100 grain Remington tru-locks today and it was shooting way high. I have a Bushnell Sportsman and I had to set the slicker to the lowest setting. Way low to it to hit the target. This is at 100 Yards. I'm usually a pretty good shot, but I'm just getting into Handis, so is there anything I need to know? I have the scope on Leopold High rings.

Chad

Try switching your scope rings around...See if it is shooting real low...If it is...you might have gotten 2 different size of rings..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 07:39:45 AM »
Adding a 20MOA base would make the rifle shoot another 20" higher.
You need to add some shims under the front of the base to raise the scope
UP UP UP

If in fact you have used up all the adjustment of the scope that would mean you already have used about 25" or half the the usable clicks.

What I think you have is an excentric bore, a crooket hole.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.