Author Topic: rifle sights on a regular 20-guage  (Read 1971 times)

Offline andrewtheelder38

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
rifle sights on a regular 20-guage
« on: October 21, 2007, 02:29:05 PM »
...Is there enough metal on a standard 20-guage shotgun barrel to installl a cheap set of williams firesights that look like the remington factory rifle sights?????.....my smithy thinks the fromt of the barrel is too thin.....anyone ever done it?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: rifle sights on a regular 20-guage
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 04:03:21 AM »
As a suggestion, D&T the chamber area for the rear sight and then either silver solder the front sight on or D&T completely through the front of the barrel to mount the front sight, then dress off the protruding parts of the front sight mounting screws that extend into the barrel. Dress them off  flush with the interior contour of the barrel exactly thew same as you do when mounting a front bread sight on a shotgun barrel which extends into the barrel. The pressure within the barrel has reduced considerably by then so there is not enough pressure left to blow out the screws. No danger or injury would occur even if they did blow out. Think about it, all bead sights that are mounted directly on the front of shotgun barrels (not onto ribs) are screwed directly into holes drilled and tapped completely through the barrel. If you have any problems with the sight holding on, and I do not believe you will, I would suggest going up one size (diameter) in the mounting screw size and also using a drop or 2 of epoxy when mounting the front sight ramp, not necessarily on the screws but on the radius between the base of the front sight ramp and the (degreased) barrel. It might not be necessary but would be a bit stronger. This is how I would do it anyway and is how front sight beads or mounted. The pressure at the front of the barrel is low enough that even front sight on shotguns that have a plastic threaded mounting shaft are not blown out of the barrel. Good luck and keep us informed of how the project goes....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline andrewtheelder38

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 11:14:55 AM »
....hey msp, thanks for the advice, i will advise my smith to do exactly that

this is all in an effort to get a rifle sighted smooth bore single shot slug gun much like the earlier tracker I guns which they should have never discontinued in my mind...

...just put together a swedish mauser sporter at his shop for pennies on the dollar (another gun show find)

...deer season opens this saturday!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 11:54:17 AM »
I'm following this thread with interest-I just picked up my 20 guage smooth bore Tamer.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 03:32:23 PM »
I have a great Tracker I in 12 gauge I was lucky enough to find on the rack at Two Rivers Canoe and Sporting Goods in Medway Maine, a great store that usually has a few Handis in it's well stocked used and new gun racks. I was also lucky enough to order a 20 gauge Tracker I barrel from H&R a couple of years ago when they found some. I much prefer the Tracker I's over the Tracker II's for where I hunt. As a shot you might try and call H&R and see if they may have a  12 or 20 gauge Tracker I barrel left. Sometimes they go out and look and say, Yep, there is one here we found out in the factory or supply room somewhere. Also, if anyone is interested there is a used 12 gauge Tracker II at Kittery Trading Post in Kittery Maine now for $75.00. If it only was a Tracker I, I would have snapped it up myself....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 06:10:25 PM »
I'm new to NEF/H&R-whats the diference between a tracker 1 and a tracker 2?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 06:16:18 PM »
I think the T1 is a smoothie, H&R still had some of em earlier this year, they're part #013, $61 plus $25 fitting and shipping.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,100816.msg1098267156.html#msg1098267156
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 02:14:22 AM »
ratherbefishin, that 20 of yours is a great gun for partridge to deer with the right loads. I am sure you will like it very much. Keep us posted on how it works out....<><....:)

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 04:35:36 AM »
yeah,I'm pretty pleased with it-exactly what I was looking for-a utility gun,short barreled,weatherproof and functional.Now I'm looking to customize it a bit-that hard  buttstock looks like it could use a bit of padding[maybe cutting and epoxying on a sole from a thong shoe would work],adding swivels for a sling,and of course, some sort of sights -this gun isn't going to be used for wing shooting.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 07:33:27 AM »
OK guys, I could not stand it any longer and went back to the Kittery Trading Post used gun site, I was really thinking of getting that 12 gauge Tracker II for $75.00. Well it was gone!!! I really hope someone here called or e-mailed them and bought it, if you did you saved me spending more money, money I don't really have to spend on more guns...so thanks to whoever bought it, if a member here or not, and I hope they get much use and enjoyment (and dinners) out of it....<><....:)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 08:27:12 AM »
Andy, you're gonna have to quit that "going home and thinking about it" business, you've missed some great Kittery deals by doing that, and those are just the ones I remember!! :o

Tim

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 08:43:19 AM »
there is an epoxy that can be used to mt. sights on shotguns now ,
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 09:23:06 AM »
there is an epoxy that can be used to mt. sights on shotguns now ,

Do tell.  I had been considering JB Weld.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 09:25:18 AM »
''there is an epoxy that can be used to mount sights''-can you give us a name or link to that product?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 09:25:48 AM »
I don't have a name but I believe Brownell's has it !

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 09:37:53 AM »
You are so right Tim, a couple of memorables that come to mind are an original H&R .357 Max with Laminated Camo stocks for $135.00, I saw it right after they had issued me a store credit slip for the same amount for a gun I traded in, it would have been an even wash, well I thought about it, and it was gone!!! I recall a nice converted 45-70 Springfield IRRC for $150.00, a hunting gun for sure, not a museum quality gun, I thought about it and it was gone!!! Any gun that I have thought about and was still there was not something I should have bought anyway....<><....:)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 10:11:56 AM »
Here's the link for that adhesive from Brownells.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=6139&title=BLACK+MAX+ADHESIVE

I will have to try that for putting on some sights.  I have the same idea for my  12ga..  I have the perfect gun to try it on.  I have an old 16ga Riverside that I want to shorten up play with.  It's not worth anything, so if I screw it up and it looks like crap, no big deal.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 10:37:19 AM »
According to Loctite, its strength is dependent on the fit, the closer, the better, it's just black super glue. ;D

Tim

http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/380-EN.PDF

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2007, 01:23:48 PM »
YEP!  I would bet if you read the specs on the stuff some of the guys have gotten from PolyChoke, it would be pretty close.  The better the fit the better the performance of the product, that's kind of standard with any adhesive.  SuperGlue does much better when only a thin coat is used.  Thanks for the link, Tim, even though most of it was greek to me. ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2007, 04:02:11 PM »
The Tamer has a nickle finish-slightly rough,and I'm thinking that might  be a good surface for epoxy adhesion-better than a polished finish

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2007, 11:24:38 PM »
I would think the hard part, would be trying to match the contour of the site base to the radius of the barrel.  The less the gap the less adhesive and the better the bond.  Right Quick?

NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 03:36:45 AM »
I'm just re reading this discussion on the tracker 1 or 2-and the apparent preference for the smooth bore-I would have though the rifled bore would have been more desirable for slugs-unless of course the gun was multipurpose--shot and slugs

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 03:42:52 AM »
range also plays a part , why pay $ 12.00 to $ 28.00 for sabot slugs when all shots are under 50 yds . ?
Yep the new Winchester XP3 are that high !

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 04:29:07 AM »
That is exactly the reason, 3" groups or better at about 60-75 yards with smoothbores with full diameter slugs you can find on sale for as low as $2 a box of 5 is great, especially when your (my) average range on all deer shot has been about 40 yards. I normally hunt the thick woods of Maine so why pay for something you don't need. Also I like the knock down power of full diameter slugs. And even when I used to hunt Mass my shots were under 100 yards. With the right slugs (2 3/4" Rottwiel Brenneke) in my 24" smoothbore 12 gauge H&R/NEF with a red dot or scope a 100 yard shot is meat on the table every time....<><....:)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 05:00:05 AM »
range also plays a part , why pay $ 12.00 to $ 28.00 for sabot slugs when all shots are under 50 yds . ?
Yep the new Winchester XP3 are that high !

Totally agree with you guys on shots under even 75 yards, but they quit making my favorite "rifled slug", the Rottweil Brenneke (not Brenneke USA).

SHOOTALL,

Did you by chance fat finger that 2 on $ 28.00? I know the saboted ammo is expensive, but I have never seen any of them over $18.99. I have went through hundreds of dollars worth of several types in my Ultra Slug Hunter LE. I haven't tried the XP3 yet, and you about gave me a heart attack when you posted that price, so I did a little looking around. Cabelas has them for $18.99 a box (which is still highway robbery), and Winchester is giving a $5 rebate on 1 box, or $10 rebate on 2 boxes. Still steep when the rifled slugs work well on shorter ranges, but from 100 yards to 150 yards, the high performance sabots really shine.

Don't think Winchester has the 20 ga out yet, so that will save me a few bucks this year.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=YULF3EJITRW1LLAQBBKCCO3MCAEFKIWE?id=0050539216451a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=0350203&cm_ite=0050539216451a&_requestid=15739

Andrew,

To get this back on track, I know there is enough meat to mount a Williams WGRS over the chamber on a 20 ga, and you could mount a front Fire Sight on the front of the barrel as was suggested earlier. If you are looking to mount a rear Fire Sight in the standard location, that might be a problem, but a good smith should be able to hook you up.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007, 07:20:43 AM »
I would think the hard part, would be trying to match the contour of the site base to the radius of the barrel.  The less the gap the less adhesive and the better the bond.  Right Quick?

Do it the same way you would bed a scope mounting rail.  Place a piece of fine or extra fine emery paper or wet/dry paper on the barrel with the grit facing out.  Then place the sight on the paper and begin sanding.  You will see where the material is being removed.  Continue until you have a good match between surfaces.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007, 07:43:19 AM »
good idea-never thought of that putting sandpaper on the barrel -then sanding the mount to get a good fit.Now-would you epoxy the mount on-or still D&T it?

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007, 01:45:16 PM »
Thanks, d_hiker.  I have heard that before and had forgotten that.

ratherbefishin,
Either way you go, epoxy or D&T, it will make for a more solid mount if you contour the base to the barrel.  Of course, D&T is the way to go if possible.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007, 05:37:32 PM »
I was looking at my Tamer this afternoon,and it does have a fair amount of steel there up close to the receiver-tapers down after,so drilling and tapping looks feasible.Another thing I want to keep in mind in choosing what type of sights to put on it-is it balances and carries very nicely right now with one hand and I don't want to ruin that.If this shotgun shoots as well as it feels -I have what I've been looking for- a nice utility carry gun intended for shooting grouse-but still quite capable of taking a deer with a slug

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007, 01:38:57 AM »
I would suggest a Williams peep on the rear (you could also use it as a ghost ring with no aperture in it) and a Firesight of the correct height on the front. Those are my plans for a couple of my guns, from all I have read here that combination works out very nicely. H&R/NEF sells the corect Williams peep sight for about $18 IIRC....<><....:)