Author Topic: Eat That Ram!!!  (Read 5832 times)

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Eat That Ram!!!
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2009, 02:09:56 PM »
Nothing wrong with a little cabrito, but sheep is NASTY.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2009, 05:06:38 PM »
I may go ahead and shoot a goat next spring.....lemme know where to send it......yuk....and...I'm italian...we eat almost anything...... :D

Try it and you'll love it. I promise.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2009, 09:10:55 AM »
you bet cha!
absolutly nothing wrong with LOTS of cabritto
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2009, 11:40:36 AM »
Well......ok...but....I'm gonna hafta usea lotta garlic!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline JimFromTN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2009, 05:17:03 AM »
I've cooked venison and it tasted so bad the dog would'nt eat it, seriously.  I found some recipe where you soak it in baking soda to get the blood/gameyness out.  It worked and the raw meat was kind of a pinkish white.  I cooked it up and it had no gameyness to it but it was god awful.  I dumped it in the dogs dish and she went running up to scarf it down and when she got up to the bowl and jumped in, she just stopped and then looked up at me like I was the cruelest human being on the planet and she walked away with a look of disgust on her face.  I have since learned to cook it and now I have made it so good that people who have eaten it before and hated it (like some on this thread) and they loved it and had no idea they were eating venison.

The moral of the story is that thru trial and error you can pretty much make any meat taste good.  Unfortunately, usually in the cases of sheep, goats, other exotics, or just some game someone gave to you, you usually don't have allot of meat to learn with.  You can kill several deer a year and eventually teach yourself what works and what does not.  By the way, I would never crock pot any wild game.  If you don't get it just right, it brings out the gameyness rather than hides it.

Here is what I would consider a safe recipe for any large wild game.  Cut the meat into thin slices and coat in your favorite fajita/taco seasoning.  Take a very hot skillet with a little oil and sear the meat.  Put the meat on hot tortillas (corn or wheat) along with a little cilantro and some diced onions and a good green salsa or your favorite red salsa, maybe some avacodo.  You could also make fagitas or burritos out of the meat also.

My brother lives in Alaska and has sent me Carribou and Moose.  The Carribou was extremely gamey and the Moose was like a tire that tasted like filet mignon.  Unfortunately, I did not get enough of each to learn how to cook them properly.  I keep hoping he will send me more Moose.  I want to figure out how to make it tender without cooking the flavor out of it.  I think I will need a 5 lb sledge to tenderize it.