Author Topic: Wild Wild west/Taxi Driver gun device  (Read 2453 times)

Offline ryans63

• Trade Count: (0)
Wild Wild west/Taxi Driver gun device
« on: October 23, 2007, 02:49:07 AM »
This is a bit off topic but I’ve always had wicked good luck/help on here and that is why I ask on here, plus who else would I talk to about it anyway, besides movie prop guys. Does anyone remember the device that was in the old Wild Wild West tv show and in the movie Taxi Driver that was mounted on the forearm covered up by a shirt/jacket,  that when triggered it would spring forward and put a gun right in your hand?  It is also used in a lot of other movies also.  I always thought it was cool as hell and would be a wicked fun/conversation piece. I've seen it called a "sleeve Gun" but can't find any information on it using sleeve gun as a keyword? Maybe called something else?  I always wanted to make one a a novelty piece but can’t work out the “trigger” for it too spring forward.  It is “triggered” by moving your hand in a certain direction but I can’t figure out how to  make it triggered like that because it would accidentally pop out when you didn’t want too because you moved your hand so that would never work or if you did it that way you could never move your hand in that certain way which would limit you ability on how you can move.  Anyone have any ideas on  how to make this device, the whole device not just the trigger, or if you have any ideas on just how to make the trigger? Anyone already make it?  Its not illegal to make or own it either because if you don't have a permit to carry a weapon its illegal to carry one at all. If you have a permit you could wear it because it doesn't matter if your gun is concealed by it or a holster, no permit its always illegal to carry but with a permit a concealed gun is a concealed gun so it wouldnt be illegal. Here is a picture of it I found, but it isn't practical at all because you can see it is triggered by moving you hand down, which would either limit your movement, meaning never move your hand down unless you wanted to trigger it, or you would be triggering it accidentally all the time, which is a problem.

Casper, Semper Fi!

Offline SHOOTALL

Re: Wild Wild west/Taxi Driver gun device
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 02:55:27 AM »
better stick to antique guns , it may be illegal to do that on a gun !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline ryans63

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 03:05:57 AM »
better stick to antique guns , it may be illegal to do that on a gun !

Its not illegal to make as a novelty item and only illegal to actually use it if you don't have a carrying permit.  So its no more illegal to make that then to make or buy a concealed holster, only illegal to use/carry a gun that way without proper permits, which without proper permits its illegal to carry any gun no matter what/how its concealed etc.
Casper, Semper Fi!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 04:04:35 AM »
that may be true , but to attach anything to the stock of a hand gun may not be a novelty .
Only mentioned it so people would check
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 08:03:34 AM »
You also have to remember that on tv or the movies, it only has to work for the scene that is shot, and actually, it doesn't even have to work for that, they can splice it in.  You would have to wear a shirt similar to a pirate's shirt with the huge baggy sleeves.  Or possibly a sweatshirt, but then you would have to have a huge opening at the cuff, so you would have enough room for the gun to work and come out.  And if you could walk around with your shirt sleeves looking like two pant legs, the release mechanism would likely not be reliable.  Anything that releases by flexing your arm would probably be activating at very inopportune times.  What you 'see' in the movies is rarely what really is.   But all of that said, even if impractical, it looks like it could be a fun thing to play with.   44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 05:26:29 PM »
I agree with 44 Man. TV and movies have little to do with reality. I don't believe in sleeve guns that really work any more than phasers. If they did, I doubt you'd have any trouble finding one. They'd be everywhere.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline ryans63

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 05:46:49 PM »
I agree with 44 Man. TV and movies have little to do with reality. I don't believe in sleeve guns that really work any more than phasers. If they did, I doubt you'd have any trouble finding one. They'd be everywhere.
[/quote

No one is seeming to get what I want to do, its not supposed to be something I would use or want to use I just think it would be cool as hell, I just want to have it displayed in my guncase because it is something you only see in movies and would be cool as hell to see something like it in real life as you don't see it ever that way.  Just a display/conversation starter/just something that would be cool to say "Check this out its cool as crap!"
Casper, Semper Fi!

Offline kennisondan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 01:22:55 PM »
you do realize that if you are told how to make it they will then have to kill you ?  find out and make one.. sell it to me... die brave... keep quiet...
dk

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 05:55:45 PM »
I saw one of those sleeve devises that your asking about when I was a kid. My uncle had one, only it didn't pop out, you sort of drew it out. There was a line that you attached to a coat button / pin/ring--the line ran around your neck, under your right arm, and down the sleeve, it went through a ring near your wrist, and attached to the slide back up near your elbow. To make it work you unlocked it with your left hand somewhere near your right elbow, and then  pulled the button, lapel pin etc, with your left hand--that made the slide go forward sliding the small gun into your hand. A light spring was attached to the slide making /helping it slide back up your sleeve. You did need to wear a shirt with loose fitting sleeves though.
If I remember correctly--my uncle carried a switch blade instead of a gun in his--but then it has been 50 years ago that I saw it, he may have been able to carry either a gun or a knife in it.

Cybin

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 02:00:33 AM »
The device is a copy of an actual device developed in the 1800's.  I also saw one around 40 years ago as we drove to California and stopped in a Old West museum, with lots of old guns and a poker table set up, and some exotic weapons, including sword and gun canes,  they also had that rig made of a wood lattice with leather wrist straps and a leather strip that went across the hand and was fastened to a ring that you wore to activate the rig. 

Offline jhm

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 03:32:30 AM »
Contact the ATF with you wants and needs, I am sure after you give them your Name, Address, Etc. they will steer you in the Right Direction.  Like some have already tried to explain, chanches are in some cases it would be Ilegal, and in most cases it wont work as described,   HTH   JIM

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 05:31:48 PM »
Contact the ATF with you wants and needs, I am sure after you give them your Name, Address, Etc. they will steer you in the Right Direction.  Like some have already tried to explain, chanches are in some cases it would be Ilegal, and in most cases it wont work as described,   HTH   JIM

I don't know how well it worked, but I do know that my uncle used one for years, but I saw him put a switch blade into it, it may have been able to carry a small gun in it, I don't know--heck I was only about 9 or 10 when I saw him with it. But he used it.

Cybin

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 02:47:54 AM »
It is illegal to affix a device to the butt of a handgun to allow for supported shoulder firing.  It is NOT illegal to affix "A" device to the butt of a handgun.  If this device allows for "supported" firing through a rigid frame, there may be some question, but in all my reading, the term "shoulder firing" was the normative restriction. 

If that parameter is being adhered to, there is no need to contact ATF to make legal modifications to the butts of handguns, or to come up with new concealment devices that are not designed to adhere to the law.  The laws are there for everyone to read without contacting the ATF.  Do a search for the federal firearms restrictions and research this.  This is no more than a mechanical holstering device for a concealed weapon.  If the right to conceal is present, then the method of concealment is not normally an issue. 

Dan

Offline SlimPigguns

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 03:57:52 AM »
I seem to recall seeing a similar device in an old western movie. The gun used was a small 2 barrel derringer - Pete
Keep on Shooting!
Queensland AUSTRALIA