Author Topic: installing swivels on a synthetic stock  (Read 751 times)

Offline ratherbefishin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
installing swivels on a synthetic stock
« on: October 23, 2007, 10:34:39 AM »
This is my first synthetic stock[Tamer] and I want to install swivels for a sling-any special fasterners-or do you just drill  into the stock like it was wood?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: installing swivels on a synthetic stock
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 04:40:09 AM »
I see no one has responded, well I will try to give you some input. My Tamer has  sling swivels mounted on it but I cannot check it right now. The is no problem with just drilling a slightly undersized hole and screwing a stud directly into the synthetic material. I would suggest checking the interior of the stock first and trying to locate the sling in a location where there is solid material to drill into and not just a thin shell of material. If you must mount a stud where the material is thin I would suggest placing another piece of substance where the threaded shaft goes to have full thread engagement. I will check the location of the studs on my Tamer stocks when I can if you need that info...Good Luck....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 09:51:23 AM »
thanks-I was tapping the stock-and it sounded sort of hollow,so I would want to put the screw in where it was solid-if it is.I suppose I could also drill a hole and inject some epoxy or dense foam in order to provide a solid anchor for a screw.A ''moly''plug might work as well

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 10:13:36 AM »
If the Tamer has a removable butt plate/pad like all the rest of the synthetic Choate stocks, you should be able to see what's there, if it's not thick enough for a screw threaded stud, use one of those with a machine thread and put a nut on the inside of the stock with a contoured spacer under it.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 11:35:05 AM »
no-its not like that-the buttstock is one piece,sounds sort of hollow ,with the bolt fastening it to the reciever on the open side-just ahead of the shell holder.