Author Topic: This may be good news Winchester is back with the M70  (Read 3264 times)

Offline old06

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
This may be good news Winchester is back with the M70
« on: October 23, 2007, 04:50:11 PM »
Just picked this up from another site. can anyone confirm?
Hopefully the 94 and others may follow...

The Model 70 Is Back!

Morgan, Utah - The Winchester Model 70 is one of the most respected bolt-action rifle designs in the world. Winchester Repeating Arms is excited to announce the return of the Model 70 for 2008. The All-American Model 70s will be built by American craftsmen in Columbia, South Carolina, at the same state-of-the-art factory (FN Manufacturing) as the rifles and machine guns used by American's Armed Forces. They are made to the exact ISO 9001 standard of quality that the U.S. Government insists upon for military firearms.

For 2008 the new Model 70 has the all new M.O.A.™ Trigger System, improved fit and finish and enhanced accuracy to go along with its classic Pre-64 Controlled Round Feeding, Three-Position safety and solid, sure handling.

M.O.A.™ Trigger System. The new Model 70 M.O.A.Trigger System is the most precise three-lever trigger system ever offered to sportsmen. Operating on a simple pivoting lever principle, the trigger mechanism has been completely redesigned to exhibit zero take up, zero creep and zero overtravel. The pull weight ranges from 3 to 5 pounds and is factory-set at 3 3/4 pounds. Because of the enhanced ergonomics, wide smooth triggerpiece and 2:1 mechanical advantage created by the unique design geometry, it actually feels like half that weight.

Three-Position Safety. The improved three-position safety on the new Model 70 has proven effective and highly popular with hunters and shooters for decades. Convenient to operate with the thumb of the firing hand, the Model 70 safety lifts the firing pin away from the sear. Then the safety selector is in the middle position, the action can still be operated, allowing unfired cartridges to be cycled with the safety on.

Hammer-Forged Barrel. Model 70 barrels are cold hammer-forged from a solid billet of steel for accuracy and long life. Massive rotary hammers shape the barrel steel around a mandrel to create the rifling. The barrel is threaded, target crowned and installed on the receiver. The chamber is then reamed and the bolt is headspaced. This results in 1 MOA accuracy for three-shot groups using properly managed barrel, quality match ammo and superior optics under ideal weather and range conditions.

Blade-Type Ejector. The Model 70's blade-type ejector allows full control when ejecting a fired case. When pulling the bolt back slowly the empty case pops out gently, which is perfect for target shooters and varminters. Pulling the bolt back smartly allows the empty case to clear the port with greater force. The blade-type ejector helps to eliminate short-stroking malfunctions.

The new Winchester Model 70 will be offered in a Super Grade, Featherweight™ Deluxe, Sporter Deluxe and Extreme Weather SS models for 2008. All will feature a thick black Pachmayr® Decelerator® pad that will help take the bite out of recoil.

The Super Grade will be offered in 30-06 Sprg. and 300 Win. Mag and will feature a fancy grade walnut stock with contrasting black fore-end tip and pistol grip cap and a sculpted shadowline cheekpiece. Suggested Retail $1,149.00

The Featherweight Deluxe has an angled comb walnut stock with Schnabel fore-end and satin finish with elegant cut checkering. It will be offered in popular long and short action calibers, including WSM chamberings. Suggested Retail $999.00 to $1,049.00.

The Sporter Deluxe features a satin finished walnut stock with cut checkering on trim fore-end and pistol grip, along with a sculpted cheekpiece. Available in popular long action and short action WSM calibers. Suggested Retail $999.00 to $1,049,99.

The Extreme Weather SS's premium Bell and Carlson composite stock features a trim, light feel with textured matte surface that gives a sure grip in any conditions. The Extreme Weather SS has a free floating, fluted stainless barrel to help minimize weight. Available in popular long action and short action WSM calibers. Suggested Retail $1,149.00 tp $1,199.00. Delivery on all models will begin in June of 2008.
Psalm 16

Offline scout34

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Re: This may be good news Winchester is back with the M70
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 11:19:27 AM »
Here is the link.

http://www.howardcommunications.com/winchester_firearms_news/Winchester%20Model%2070.html.

They never really stopped making them in the form of the FN PBR, but it's good to see them back.

Offline flyboy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 02:08:51 PM »
OOOhhh, I LOVE that Featherweight!  Hot darn, in 6.5X55 or .260 Remington ....(Cold day in Texas before that happens, I bet!) ;)

Offline tanoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 12:43:30 PM »
When they bring back the classic stainless or the shadow elite in .375 H&H give me a shout ,i'll grab one up in a minute. Is this a browning or winchester plant?

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 01:41:07 PM »
Is this a browning or winchester plant?

My understanding is that neither Winchester or Browning own any plants.  Now they both are brands, but neither manufactures their own products.  I may be wrong on the Winchester, with the foreign plant that makes the shotguns etc., but I don't think Browning ever owned plants.

My guess is that it will be made by one of the plants that make Browning arms now.  I hope someone really knows and can share that information with us.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline mudstud

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 02:43:35 PM »
From what I understand, this is an FN plant.  Altho, if memory serves, this plant was originally a USRA plant.  I may be wrong about that.  But it doesn't really make any difference, the whole kit and kaboodle is owned by Herstal.

Offline lgm270

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 05:36:59 PM »
Here's another link from Outdoor Life reporting the re-introduction of the  new M-70.  Very exciting news for M-70 affectionados.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/article.jsp?ID=55170

Offline Keith L

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 09:38:55 PM »
I am glad to see that it is US made.  I hope they start shipping soon and we can get some range reports on the new Model 70s.

Offline crash87

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 04:03:43 AM »
Kieth L, I'd not jump to the conclusion that they are 100% U.S. made. There is a real good chance that they will be "assembled" in the U.S.A., with parts mfg'ed abroad. One can only wait and see. I won't be holding my breath for anything Herstal has anything to do with. CRASH87

Offline Keith L

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 04:36:50 AM »
One of life's facts these days is that much labor that goes into American Made goods happens off shore.  All of my vehicles have much foreign content, and it is nearly impossible to get clothes that are made here.  So even if this gun is assembled in America of foreign parts that is reason for me to be happy.  It easily could have an American name and be made 100% in China.

Thanks for your comments.

Offline lgm270

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 06:25:02 AM »
I too would rather see the M-70 100%  Made in the USA, but I rejoice that it is coming back in whatever guise.

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 10:51:58 AM »
I am so pumped about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 09:45:31 AM »
The plant is an FN plant where they make M16's, M-240 and M-249 machine guns and the new FP pistols. I live in Columbia and I even know one of the design engineers of the FP pistol. (An american BTW) The plant is only about a 15 minute drive from Fort Jackson. It may have European ownership but it is American workers. In their ads for the pistols, FN claims to make 70% of US small arms

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 05:30:45 AM »
Like everyone else, I am most definitely looking forward to the re-introduction.  I'd like to see the larger caliber guns, re-introduced, as well.  I owned the .375 H&H Safari Express and unloaded it at the peak of the madness for a good price.  Would be nice to pick one up again for a reasonable price.  JJHACK, along with many other PHs in South Africa, swears by them.

I WANT ONE!!!   ;D
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline lgm270

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 07:47:05 AM »
The new Model 70's are now listed in Winchester's on line catalog.  Good news.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/category.asp?cat=001C

Offline steveus

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 02:03:23 AM »
Very glad to see this, and very glad to see that most of these models are going to be available in some standard , proven calibers such as .270 Win, .30-06, etc.  I believe that's what hurt them so much in the past was going so heavy with the WSMs, the old standards were offered in only a few  models that nobody wanted.  I just never thought the WSMs were my cup of tea, and apparently a lot of others agreed.  At any rate, I'm a big fan of Model 70's, and this is great news!
Please join the NRA!!!  We couldn't be having all this fun without it.

Offline old06

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 05:54:33 AM »
It's been a while since I felt the need for a new gun but I feel that a featherweight is going to fill that bill
Psalm 16

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 06:39:41 AM »
Anyone know if the safari express will make it back???
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline dez

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 03:18:11 PM »
Yes they may be back but I don't believe the quality or talent of the Conn plant workers will be there. It's vastly different making stamped and welded fire arms then to produce a refined bolt action rifle. Most likely they would have kept the production off shore but the blue collar working man does-not want to buy a Winchester stamped china, Korea, eastern Europe  etc....The first few delivered to the gun rag writers will be gone over and will be real nice but the following run may disappoint --Time will tell

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 05:43:59 PM »
IF there had been a demand for the rifle they would never have stopped making it to begin with it. But folks had stopped buying them and so they couldn't sell them. Why do you think it's gonna be any different now? I doubt two people who have posted to this thread will be able to come back a year after they hit the market and say they've bought one. It's time has come and gone.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Keith L

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 08:48:18 PM »
Yes they may be back but I don't believe the quality or talent of the Conn plant workers will be there. It's vastly different making stamped and welded fire arms then to produce a refined bolt action rifle. Most likely they would have kept the production off shore but the blue collar working man does-not want to buy a Winchester stamped china, Korea, eastern Europe  etc....The first few delivered to the gun rag writers will be gone over and will be real nice but the following run may disappoint --Time will tell

What an interesting comment.  Now the owners/managers who have design control, who choose the machinery, materials, methods, and specifications have nothing to do with the finished product.  It is all down to the workers.

Thing is that the most successful corporation in the world, Toyota, is now having these incapable American workers make automobiles to export to Japan.  Somehow they have enough control over us sloppy, lazy, incapable workers to force us to do a job superior to Japanese workers.  Maybe when Toyota learns what a bunch of leakers we are we can go back to McDonalds and flip burgers.

A few years ago a terrific book was written by a father/son team. Irving and Berry Bluestone were a Labor Leader and an Economist, and their book, Negotiating the Future, suggested the most valid reason for workers to go on strike was over quality issues.  I agree with them.  Most places force workers to produce even if the managers know that the production is junk.

For what its worth there are still plenty of new old Model 70s.  Many of the people who raced out and bought them as investments are getting tired of waiting to get rich.  Quite a few are available.  In many cases for less than the investors paid for them.  Look around.  It is like Bill said.  If there had been a market they would still be made.

Offline dez

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 01:23:46 PM »
Basically the  most likely  reason they  left Conn. was they could get a better deal if they closed shop and  relocated-- but i will say it again an over seas Winchester just doesn't cut with the  working folks who would buy them.  As far as Toyota being the most successful company in the world, is debatable, profitable you can argue that point . Go to a Toyota dealership and you will find a whole lot of cars in for repair. In fact consumers report does not automatically give them a high rating with out reviewing them like they use to in past years.  The domestics have a legacy cost (Winchester included) attached that the transplants don't share yet. When you see an import on the road, what the owner is really saying is retirees don't need a pension or health care.  Six out of 10 Toyota's sold in the USA are made over seas. Well I certainly  have gotten off track on this post , but the skills learned on the job , over the  years can't be replaced by cost reductions, plant re locations  or how smart the CEO is  --in the end the product suffers. Let me ask what makes the  pre 64's so mythical ??

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 03:20:36 AM »
imo- it is not the consumers responsibility to support manufactures of product through "thick & thin times", poor years of manufacturing, quality control issues, etc.  being a loyal "made in the usa " consumer,  should not come at the consumers cost and the manufactures gain.

manufactures whom seek long term sales need vision,correct change,foresight,etc.  what worked once may not still work 25 years latter.  this is not the consumers responsibility  imo,  but rather,  the manufactures.

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 10:41:09 AM »

The biggest knock on Winchester was the extensive cheapening of most of their products in 1964.  To compound that, they got some city slickers in their marketing department to come up with the weirdest cosmetics ever imagined. Although in the 1970's they made improvements with the Model 70 Featherweights, and Model 94's with real steel receivers, they continued trying to foist some pretty ugly models onto a non-buying public.  Clean, classic lines like found on the Winchesters that Grandpa owned were not the Madison Avenue priority.  Commemoration with a new ugly rifle every time some historical figure farted or had a birthday never made much sense either.  I wish them luck with their new venture--but I have a feeling that Graybeard may be right--for a lot of reasons.  :-\