Author Topic: California Game Management  (Read 767 times)

Offline Rusty

• Trade Count: (0)
California Game Management
« on: June 16, 2003, 09:27:37 AM »
If anyone else is stuck out in CA, the CA Fish & Game is now spending 40% of it's budget on "Biodiversity", on education the public on isses such as "please don't pet the wild coyotes or cougars".  Meanwhile the Game Mnagement budget (which used to be about 40% of the Fish & Game budget, has been decreased to around 16%.  I am surprised they are not making fishermen and hunters take sensitivity courses (maybe this will be next!) :D
Don't worry, it could happen in your state too.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 12:05:32 PM »
Rusty,

None of us here in California understand the Department of Fish & Game.  Of course you must understand that the powers to be are NOT hunters, fishermen or even outdoorsman.  They all have college degrees on the wall and know everything there is to know about the great outdoors.  Basically, "over educated idiots".  These are the people you have to deal with when you go to them and try to get a doe hunt to cut down the doe population.  I just tried again this year and again got turned down.  They'll tell you that a buck/doe ratio of 75 to 1 is ok and that the bucks will get the job done.  Their big thing anymore is to have some college bio class to a "field study" which consist of three or four trips into the hills around the campus and the report they get back is supposed to be a true scientific study.  I just wish that I could control the hiring and firing of all the alphabet departments(DFG, CDF, etc.) because there would be a large number of those "over educated idiots" back working at McDonald's or such and people with real world experience and education would be in their place.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 02:12:17 PM »
:( That is the way it goes when politics becomes more important than biology.  Even in a state with over 1 million hunters like my state of Michigan it has gone that way.  I feel sorry for some of the decent DNR officers that we have left.  If they speak up it can mean their jobs.
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 02:06:07 PM »
:D Hey there guys,

And then there is wolves!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep em coming! :wink:
300 Winmag

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2003, 10:15:18 AM »
:D It sounds like Michigan should sell a few wolves to California. California maybe could use a few more predators to compete with the cougars and bears.  We have politicians making hunting policies here in Wisconsin too. :twisted:

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2003, 01:52:22 PM »
Fred,

Actually wolves have been reported in the northeast portion of the state.  I've been up there myself and have heard them a couple of times, just haven't seen any yet.  At least wolves don't go out of their way to take a human like bears and mountain lions do.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.