Author Topic: Which Hornet, 22" or 20" SL  (Read 1468 times)

Offline ruffhunter

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (1)
Which Hornet, 22" or 20" SL
« on: October 25, 2007, 01:01:25 PM »
I plan on buying a Hornet for yotes and as a compact ATV gun.  I just cannot make up my mind which model.  Does the shorter 20" Superlight barrel loose accuracy and or make the report louder?  I'm leaning towards the SL, if there are no difference between the two.  My shots will be up to 150 yards and scoped.  Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Which Hornet, 22" or 20" SL
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 01:49:18 PM »
I wouldn't be too concerned about the little extra noise the shorter barrel causes, you should be wearing hearing protection anyway, even a 22Lr will destroy your hearing, one shot at a time.

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?id=2052

The Hornet Superlight is the least problematic of the 3 Superlights, the 243 is the one that's usually a problem, the Hornet doesn't heat up very fast which is probably the biggest issue with the light contour barrels. Depending if you just want it scoped,  you could always cut 2" off the standard barrel too if the shorter barrel is desired, the weight savings isn't an issue unless it's a carry rifle. Cutting and recrowning a barrel isn't all that hard, there's a link in the FAQs about it, Burntmuch just shortened his new 357 barrel himself and recrowned with a dremel. Or a smith would do it for $20-$50.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline glwenzl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 04:00:22 PM »
I went with the shorter lighter barrel and am usually a long barrel type of guy... although i always wear hearing protection I still prefer to keep the muzzle blast as far away from me as possible.

That said i could not be happier with this short barreled set up...It happens to be on plastic but has always shot very well and cleans up reasonable despite the barrel feels like it is as rough as our county roads around here... FWIW my NEF  short barrel has always out shot my 77/22 Hornet and was not near as picky of what type of bullets or load I was using...

My NEF is now a K-Hornet, didn't gain much but I like it!

This is a nice fast handling truck gun for out in the PD towns when one tries to charge my pickup and i have to quickly defend myself! LOL

BTW if anyone does not wear hearing protection please do so... My hearing is shot and i am only 47 YO a lot of the damage occurred from long days on bulldozers, farm tractors and other heavy equipment back in the day when there were no cabs and we didn't know any better... Rock and Roll concerts probably damaged em too...

Only good thing is I can not near them annoying crickets anymore and sometimes it is OK not to hear everything my wife is saying (LOL)

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 04:31:26 PM »
I hane a Super light with a vynil washer under the barrel and it has shot groups just a hair over 1/2 inch. I love the light weight and compact size.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline ruffhunter

• Classified -- Banned
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 05:48:52 AM »
You all sold me on SL. thanks for the quick response.  not reloading right now, so I may pick up a box of Hornady, but i see the Win HP's have more ft lbs down the road at 150 yards, so I might get the 50 round box for sight in and use this first year.  Anyone had any success with factory loads on coyotes?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 07:44:08 AM »
I have a standard barrel contour Hornet and love it.  It is a good shooter and it is my only barrel that seems to shoot better WITHOUT the "O" ring.  It pays to try it both ways.  I have been shooting Wisconsin Cartridge reloads at about 1" at 100yds.  The Remington factory rounds were about 2" groups.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 07:59:57 AM »
Super Light.
For carrying and coyote hunting.
I wish I had gotten a lighter 223 for coyotes.
The standard weight would be better for extended prairie dog or target shooting.

Offline aulrich

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 06:57:53 AM »
Sorry busy weekend

The superlight 22 k-hornet in the hands of my son got an assist on a coyote this weekend ( I'll post a pic later).

But my experience has been very positive with with the gun while it is no tack driver getting it to useful accuracy (~1.25 for 3 @ 100) was really easy. It has show signs that there is much better accuracy in it yet, sInce the gun is so light the standard heavy trigger pull really interferes (I am collecting the bits needed for a trigger job) and one set of loads done with nosler bt's (borrowd from a buddy) seems to have more potential than the seirra blitz, but there is a $8 per box difference.  One other thing is the stock is too low for a scope but I did the foam under the ammo sling trick I have not tested it but cheek weld is vastly improved.

On paper (personal rule of thumb 400 ft/lb at impact)  150 is a bit far for coyotes with standard hornet loadings, the 50 grain heads I am shooting don't cross that till near 200 yards. Before lilgun powder 50 grain heads were too heavy for a standard hornet to be useful (the reason why I went k hornet) with old data there was a 400+fps difference with the bigger heads now it is down to 100 or so.  The assist did not prove if paper and reality match, but I should know by Christmas.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline henry1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 07:11:59 AM »
Nice! I have also been tossing around the idea of getting a hornet. Im still not sure though. are dies more expensive than say .223 dies? would i be better off to order brass or I guess what is a resonable price for hornet brass? What is the largest amount of brass you guys have loaded up for the hornet? So as i see it, I can use my .223 bullets in the hornet with IMR 4198 and the same primers as the .223 also. so i just need dies and brass right?
Thanks.

ruffhunter, if i get one it will most likely be a superlight!!!!!
dont pee down my back and tell me its raining
if my guns were my children theyd be incredibly spoiled
the mountian has got its own way, pillgram
ther's many a slip twix the cup and the lip
Life member NAHC
Henry
hunter8734@yahoo.com
Looking for pdo

Offline aulrich

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 08:21:06 AM »
The standard dies are the same price, I don't know about 4198 never used it, lil'gun is really the go to powder for the hornet.  I have about 300 cases in inventory
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline henry1

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 09:02:56 AM »
How much is brass running for the hornet? maybe round 24 bucks for 100?
Life member NAHC
Henry
hunter8734@yahoo.com
Looking for pdo

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 09:11:45 AM »
$18 -$22 a hundred.

Hornet Brass

Offline henry1

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 05:21:45 PM »
Thanks quick! I just orderd 100 emtys and dies!

Life member NAHC
Henry
hunter8734@yahoo.com
Looking for pdo