Author Topic: 20 GA. PARDNER PROJECT QUESTIONS  (Read 491 times)

Offline ZEVON

• Trade Count: (0)
20 GA. PARDNER PROJECT QUESTIONS
« on: October 25, 2007, 03:24:07 PM »
  Hi,I'd like some help please on a 20 GA. Pardner project?I live in NJ and we have to use a shotgun for deer hunting as well as squirrel hunting,I'm trying to come up with a light weight,reliable,cheap do it all shotgun.I hunt heavy woods so I won't be taking a shot over 50 yds.,more than likely not over 25 yds.What I'd like to do is have the barrel cut to 18 1/2" and threded for chokes,recoil pad,scope mount for either a scope or dot sight and a set of iron sights.Has anyone done this,any suggestions,any recommendations on a gunsmith?Thanks for any help.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: 20 GA. PARDNER PROJECT QUESTIONS
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 06:18:25 AM »
I would suggest the easiest and cheapest way to get exactly what you want is to locate a 20 gauge Tracker I (they are cylinder bored smoothbore barrels). Then have the barrel threaded to accept chokes tubes of your choice and have any competent gunsmith D&T the chamber area of the barrel to accept a H&R/NEF scope rail, either the standard rail or the Ultra rail, the mounting hole locatiuon for them are the same. The H&R rails are much better than other aftermarket rails. Bets of luck with your project, you will end up with a great gun and possibly perfect for what you want. There are more expensive and complicated ways to arrive at the same setup but after giving it some thought this is the best way to go....<><....:)

P.S. - although you should shoot several types and brands of slugs through your new gun as well as trying them through all of the choke tubes, I would suggest you try the Brennekes, and don't go Super Duper Magnums, get standard 2 3/4" slugs if you can find them, at 25-50 yards they will most likely be more accurate, less painful, less expensive, and the deer will be just as delicious....
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley