Author Topic: Hearing protection  (Read 667 times)

Offline backstrap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Hearing protection
« on: October 26, 2007, 08:53:51 AM »
Do  u guys where hearing protection while u are hunting?? i where them when i am at the range but not when i hunting dont see how u could hear something comeing through the brush with them on i seen on the 22hornet topic about a shorter barrel that some one said that u should be wearing them and shouldnt worry about the muzzle blast that a shorted barrel would make because u should have hear protection on well i dont wear them when i hunt but do at the range. just asking what all u guys do??
1 shot 1 kill

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Hearing protection
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 09:04:31 AM »
If you value your hearing, you'd better be wearing hearing protection ANY TIME you shoot a firearm, once you loose hearing, it's gone forever! Anyone that thinks otherwise would be wise to do a little research on the subject. ;)

Tim

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?id=2052

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,114537.msg1098363467.html#msg1098363467
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 01:15:16 PM »
backstrap

With the newer sound act. hearing protection that is on the market now there is no reason to not wear them , take this from a guy that is down to 40% in one ear and 50% in the other , I even wear ear plugs to mow the lawn these days just to keep what i have left .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 02:14:28 PM »
I am hard of hearing, due to firearms and jackhammers.  I did not think it was important to wear wearing protection.  Now I live with the consequences.

I like the hearing protection that also amplifies ambient sound.  I also like the kind that cups the entire ear, the ones that do not sit on top of the ear, but surround it.  They are much more comfortable to wear for long periods.  If they are not comfortable you won't wear them.

I put them on when I get out of the truck, or get up in the morning at the cabin.  I take them off when I get to the truck or get ready for bed.  I wear them all the time when I am in the woods.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline glwenzl

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 03:15:39 PM »
I wear em anytime the noise level can damage em to save what lil I have... Heard a guy say that it takes away from the hunt.... It takes away from your life for the rest of your life otherwise....

I can remember as a youth how I anxiously climbed a deer tree stand at 0430 and sit in the silent sleeping world and then listening to the world wake up with birds chirping and the rustling of leaves from mice and squirrels down below... I sure miss all that and a bunch more! Wear em!!!

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 04:46:19 PM »
i learned my lesson about shooting with them a long time ago. but i lost my hearing due to working in a tire plant for 23 years now i have one hearing aid in my right ear that also dampens sound. i like the walkers game ear while hunting. while at the range definatly use them!!!!!!! i don't use eye protection though unless i am shooting a flint lock
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Blucollar

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 02:32:03 AM »
I didn't used to wear any while hunting, but after firing my .270 from a tree stand and my left ear ringing for a YEAR, I wear it now!
I thought I had lost my hearing and it is damaged but now ANY time my gun goes off I have hearing protection on!
I use plain muffs when hunting, just leave them around your neck and just before raising your gun slip them on.
There cheap and easy to use and protect you instantly.
EXCEPT a man be BORN AGAIN, he CANNOT see the kingdon of GOD.  John 3:3 kjv

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 05:16:04 AM »
you can get the walker game ear muffs for right at $170 and they amplify sound too. so that would be a nice edition to us who have learned our lessons about hearing protection to have hearing back while hunting with the system that reduces muzzle blast
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 01:00:18 PM »
when i hunt varmints with a .223 i plug my left ear every time.   with a louder rifle i'd plug both of 'em.   why risk losing the voices of your favorite people.   it might be ok to not hear the news once in a while; but the rest of life is too meaningful!

put in plugs when hunting, and wear both plugs AND muffs at the range to really provide protection.

ss'   
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 01:17:05 PM »
I bought the Northern Gun Muffler for range work, it has a 29NRR which is more than most muffs, and it doesn't cut out like most of do at the shot, so you don't loose any hearing it just cuts the sound to a safe level. They would work great for hunting, are stereo so you don't loose directional hearing. But the in ear type are the cats meow, usually a lot more expensive tho, but you don't have to worry about how they fit with your hat or eye glasses either, and they're out of the weather. I wear Sportears, Walmart has about the best price on em.

Tim

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/noduelgunmu.html

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4787045
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 01:20:34 PM »
whoa.. thats a lot more than the walkers i wear. i haven't had any problems out of mine. the only thing i did was buy new plugs from their site for $4. i might try some of those later but ill stick with what i have now

Rick