Author Topic: 300 yard "gong"  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
300 yard "gong"
« on: October 26, 2007, 02:19:52 PM »
Our local gun club is thinking about placing a steel plate at the 300 yard rifle range for informal plinking with all rifle calibers. I am interested in any ideas about dimensions and mounting. I recommended a 1" thick 12"x12" steel plate suspended by 2 heavy chains. I am not sure about this since heavy calibers like 375 H&H and even larger could be used. Any ideas or experiences?

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: 300 yard "gong"
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 05:43:42 PM »
For centerfire rifles thickness is not the main concern it's the quality of the steel. Get proper armor plate steel and 3/8" to 1/2" is plenty. I have a buffalo target about 3/8" thick that's been hit with about everything up to and including .338 Win. Mag and the STW rounds. The worst any of them have done to it is tiny dimples.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 06:04:27 PM »
Thanks Graybeard.

Cheese

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 03:57:08 AM »
This is where I got my buffalo target. http://www.dswelding.com/ and it looks like this: I see it currently listed for $60 but I paid more for it years ago when I bought it. I think since this one is for SASS and their light loads it's not made of the same steel as mine. I specificed to them I wanted mine tough enough for any rifle and load.

They sell many different shapes and also squares and circles for use as gongs.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline tutti confuso

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 05:14:10 AM »
back many years ago we went to a weld shop, had the fella cut us a big chicken made from 5/8" diamond plate, maybe 14 - 15" H  he use a plasma cutting torch.. had the chic welded to a front coil spring from a truck.. got it at a junk yard, an we cemented that out about 275yrds was all the room we had ... for all i know its still out there .. i moved out of state in 2004..was pretty neat  you could hear the hit an wiggled as well
God must love stupid people... He made so many.

I Work Hard Because Millions On Welfare Depend on Me!

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 06:21:34 AM »
I like the coil spring idea!

Cheese

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 08:46:47 PM »
The state ran range in Anchorage had a life size moose set out at 700 yards, back in the late 70s.  Don't know if it is still there or not.  It was on springs, and would lye down when hit by a heavy caliber, then stand back up.  But did it ever ring, everyone at the range knew when someone hit it.  They had one bench just for shooting the moose.  Everyone saved one last shell just to take a shot at the moose as they left.  Back then I only owned one gun, a .308 Parker Haile, with a 26 inch barrel.  I could make that gong/moose ring every shot.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline DakotaMike

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 04:26:27 PM »
Cheese,
We used a manhole cover with chain and it's been up about ten years now.
Dakotamike

Offline wyohandi

• Avid Poster
  • NE Wyoming
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 12:38:25 PM »
Mine is one of those plates that holds Railroad track to the wood ties, It is about 7"x9"
the 300mag puts some good dimples in it. But it works, was free and if you miss you can
say "yep right through that spike hole on the left side ;D