Author Topic: Will a well placed 223 kill a deer?  (Read 1268 times)

Offline statelinerut

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Will a well placed 223 kill a deer?
« on: October 27, 2007, 01:35:49 PM »
You will never be able to tell my little 8 year old that a well placed 223 wont drop a deer in it's tracks. Man am I proud. All the shooting off the bench I have done with him paid off on his first whitetail deer hunt. Got in the shooting house about 4:00 and 15 minutes later the opportunity arrived. 80 yards, dropped like a sack of taters. What a feeling to be there for my youngest frist deer of many. I am one proud dad right now.

"For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6

"Upon a life I did not live, upon a death I did not die; anothers life, anothers death, I stake my whole eternity." Horatius Bonar

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Wiil a well placed 223 kill a deer?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 01:41:17 PM »
Congrats to your son and you, I'd bet your smile is as big as his!! :D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Will a well placed 223 kill a deer?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 01:52:04 PM »
statelinerut

Well done by both of you , him for his first deer and you for teaching him . but you do relize that you have created a monster , all he'll want to do is hunt now .  ;D  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 02:10:11 PM »
Boy that is a great story!!! Great for him and you. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline statelinerut

• Contributor
Re: Wiil a well placed 223 kill a deer?
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 02:53:59 PM »
Congrats to your son and you, I'd bet your smile is as big as his!! :D

Tim

Tim,

After the shot, he gave me the biggest hug with the biggest smile I have ever seen on him. One I will never forget.
"For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6

"Upon a life I did not live, upon a death I did not die; anothers life, anothers death, I stake my whole eternity." Horatius Bonar

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 02:55:01 PM »
If you don't mind could you tell us what round you was using. Oh tell your son CONGATS!!!! ;)

Offline statelinerut

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 02:59:33 PM »
If you don't mind could you tell us what round you was using. Oh tell your son CONGATS!!!! ;)

Not at all holahead. We are using the Remington 55gr pointed soft point. I have always liked using a pointed soft point round on whitetail.

Now if Fusion would only come out with a 223 cartridge ;D

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 03:07:33 PM »
Thats a good round for the 223. I know a few guys that have taken several with that same round.

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 09:31:33 PM »
Congrats to your son!Just the first of many,deer & rifles  ;)

Good job by dad too!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline hellacatcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 01:38:09 AM »
Way to go. Up in my area in Tenn. There has been a big deer kill due to the heat related.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 05:26:29 AM »

Not at all holahead. We are using the Remington 55gr pointed soft point. I have always liked using a pointed soft point round on whitetail.

Now if Fusion would only come out with a 223 cartridge ;D

Congratulations for your Son & You...

I was hoping to get to report the same thing this weekend...but my son got extremely ill with the flu & strep throat...so he didn't get to go for the youth hunt...and is really bummed about it...Lord willing we will be hunting during the regular firearms portion or even the late hunt in December...

As to your wishing they come out with a Fusion load...Well...they already have...but...it was released by mistake this year...My Cabela's has the mixed up ammo here in St.Louis...and was selling it for $5.87 a box...It was in the Federal American Eagle 63 grain soft point box...The UPC codes are the exact same on the box...and the only way you will know the difference is to open the box...and look at the brass head stamp...If...it is stamped LC with a cross in a circle on it...That is Lake City brass with the 63 grain Fusion bullet ...If it is stamped FC...that is the 63 grain Sierra bullet and Federal case...I called and spoke with Federal about them after I was told by an employee at Cabelas...they confirmed it to me...Federal is going to be releasing it next year like this in their T.R.U ammo line...and it will be much more expensive...Heck...it's a steal at these prices...the brass alone is worth more...I bought a couple cases to just have on hand with it...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...